• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should IPL performance be considered for National Team Selection ?

Should IPL performance be considered for national team selection ?

• Not Sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Isura

U19 Captain
What else is a good economy rate if it isn't one that fits the requirements of the game?!

Seriously, you just need to watch and you'd see that you can say it's a bowlers game. The top sides are all those with the best bowling attacks, and good bowling spells are winning matches.
I definitely agree IPL and T20 WC were bowlers game. Tanvir/Afridi/Gul were a huge part of Pakistan's WC success, particularly when they restricted Australia. Tanvir in the IPL has an average of 10 and the lowest ECON of just above 6.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What else is a good economy rate if it isn't one that fits the requirements of the game?!

Seriously, you just need to watch and you'd see that you can say it's a bowlers game. The top sides are all those with the best bowling attacks, and good bowling spells are winning matches.
Obviously, but that's a given isn't it? I'd say that if a good bowling spell is 4-28-2 (or similar) that means a game can never, ever be a bowler's game.

If the game means a good economy-rate (ie, 3-4-an-over) isn't possible, I'd define the game as not a bowler's one.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I've no problems with using it for Twenty20 and ODI - and I don't see why it shouldn't be the competition to decide those things. Playing against the best in the world should count for something.

For Test cricket though, the answer is a emphatic and resounding no. Ranji Trophy and First Class cricket should and absolutely must be the primary criteria for that.
What he said.

Dissector

International Debutant
I think the answer is definitely yes and one of the big benefits for India in particular will be more information to make ODI selections. TT has a fair degree of overlap with ODI especially when it comes to the early and death overs. I think the biggest benefit is to see how well players handle the pressure of a big game with huge,noisy crowds. You don't get much of that in domestic cricket at least in India and I think it's a big part of playing the international game.

Dissector

International Debutant
I think the IPL final pretty much makes the case as far as this thread is concerned. YP was lucky to be sure but he rode his luck and played an amazing innings under huge pressure; exactly the kind of pressure you get in an ODI. Not to mention his bowling. The Indian selectors would be crazy to ignore his IPL performances when picking the ODI squad. There are no domestic ODI's which even come close to creating the kind of pressure you saw in this final.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Obviously, but that's a given isn't it? I'd say that if a good bowling spell is 4-28-2 (or similar) that means a game can never, ever be a bowler's game.
Why can't it be? It's in relation to the general scoring rates - the whole idea of a 'bowler's game' is just an artificial one you've come up with there based on other forms of cricket. 50 years ago, going at 3.5 an over would be pretty expensive in a Test match; these days you wouldn't blink an eye if most bowlers went at that. The game adapts and therefore the definitions of a good innings or a good spell do as well. Sohail Tanvir's performances have probably been just as influential as Shaun Marsh's - but he's still gone at around a run-a-ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
3.5-an-over is still an exceptionally poor Test match economy-rate and one you need one hell of a good strike-rate to last long with. Yes, it happens more at the current time but that's because of the current poor standard of bowling and general flatness of pitch.

And of course the idea of a bowler's game is one based on proper cricket and one-day cricket. Those two are similar; Twenty20 bears no resemblence whatsoever.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
3.5-an-over is still an exceptionally poor Test match economy-rate and one you need one hell of a good strike-rate to last long with. Yes, it happens more at the current time but that's because of the current poor standard of bowling and general flatness of pitch.

And of course the idea of a bowler's game is one based on proper cricket and one-day cricket. Those two are similar; Twenty20 bears no resemblence whatsoever.
I'm sure with all the marketing you'll be able to buy a 'best-of' DVD of the IPL. Maybe you should watch that and then comment ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Day I buy a "best of" collation for a Twenty20 competition is the day I watch the Earth rise on the Moon.