View Poll Results: Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sachin Tendulkar

29 43.94%
  • Sir Vivian Richards

19 28.79%
  • Michael Bevan

15 22.73%
  • Ashish Nehra

3 4.55%
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best ODI batsman?

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar

Best ODI batsman?

So who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

I get the feeling that the general consensus here is that one of SRT, Bevan and Sir Viv.

So here we go.. a simple poll....

PS: People who think someone else apart from these 3 (and Ashish Nehra ) is the best ODI batsman... Plz post the name as a reply and plz vote for which one you think is the better ODI batsman among the 3 poll choices.
    Last edited by honestbharani; 28-05-2008 at 07:17 AM.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Sachin Tendulkar without a doubt, the 3/4th best player of all time, what a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

ret
    SRT

Bevan is certainly good but I would not put him in the league of SRT and Viv .... if the peaks are considered then there are other good batsmen as well like Ganguly, Jayasuriya, De Silva, Inzi, Anwar, Klusener, etc
    Fastest gun in town

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Dean Jones should be in there. But my choice would have to be Sachin Tendulkar. Done some crazy things at the top of the order.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    42 centuries is quite a lot of ODI centuries....but Viv Richards is very close too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Would have to give it to Sachin just on the pure numbers he's stacked up. So many runs, so many centuries.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    LOL..Sachin runaway winner so far... Including my vote.

But I have not really seen enough of Viv, it has to be said. Compared to Bevan though, I think Sachin does come out ahead.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Sachin is the greatest player I've ever seen, thats all I can put forward really.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Richards should get a few votes. Though if Richards had played the same number of ODI innings as Tendulkar, he was on track for 26 centuries. Quite a bit, but not 42. However, Richards did score his runs faster and he didn't bat at the top of the order and the ODI game was different then, so its not a direct comparison. Compared to his peers, Richards scored his runs much faster, so that has to count in his favor.

In any case, I think Tendulkar should win it but Viv should be on his tail.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 28-05-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I'm biased. Bevan is an unbelievably good ODI player. I have never seen a player score so many runs at such a rate so calmly whilst saving his side's ass again and again.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    I'm biased
    Surely not!
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Best ODI batsman that I haved watched is Viv Richards. I dont see anyone as good as him. To bat in an era where most people were scoring @ a SR of low 60s (in ODIs) and averaging in mid-high 30s, this man scored @ a SR of 90+ and an average of 47 is simply amazing. I dont think anyone will ever be as good as him in ODIs.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Never seen any point in this question TBH, as I've said before. I don't feel ODIs fit the "all-time" mantra. I don't see any point whatsoever in comparing ODIs of the 1970s and 1980s with those of the 1990s and 2000s, they were inestimably different.

Bevan was the best of the modern ODI for mine, and Richards the best of the older ones.

And Dean Jones did more to change the game from what it was in the 1970s and 1980s than anyone else, and hence probably deserves a mention before anyone. Even though he was obviously not quite as good as Bevan or Tendulkar.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Surely not!
    Contender for the Jimmy.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Richards should get a few votes. Though if Richards had played the same number of ODI innings as Tendulkar, he was on track for 26 centuries. Quite a bit, but not 42. However, Richards did score his runs faster and he didn't bat at the top of the order and the ODI game was different then, so its not a direct comparison. Compared to his peers, Richards scored his runs much faster, so that has to count in his favor.

First of all Viv mostly batted in the middle order where he had less opportunities to score 100s.
    Secondly, he came into bat after one of the most prolific ODI opening pair of all time.

Thirdly and most important, the ODI has changed so much. back in the 80s 200-220 was a cmmon score and 250+ used to be a winning total, whereas now days 300-320s are common score.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information