• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI batsman?

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

I get the feeling that the general consensus here is that one of SRT, Bevan and Sir Viv.

So here we go.. a simple poll....

PS: People who think someone else apart from these 3 (and Ashish Nehra ;) ) is the best ODI batsman... Plz post the name as a reply and plz vote for which one you think is the better ODI batsman among the 3 poll choices.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
SRT

Bevan is certainly good but I would not put him in the league of SRT and Viv .... if the peaks are considered then there are other good batsmen as well like Ganguly, Jayasuriya, De Silva, Inzi, Anwar, Klusener, etc

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dean Jones should be in there. But my choice would have to be Sachin Tendulkar. Done some crazy things at the top of the order.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have to give it to Sachin just on the pure numbers he's stacked up. So many runs, so many centuries.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
LOL..Sachin runaway winner so far... Including my vote. :)

But I have not really seen enough of Viv, it has to be said. Compared to Bevan though, I think Sachin does come out ahead.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Richards should get a few votes. Though if Richards had played the same number of ODI innings as Tendulkar, he was on track for 26 centuries. Quite a bit, but not 42. However, Richards did score his runs faster and he didn't bat at the top of the order and the ODI game was different then, so its not a direct comparison. Compared to his peers, Richards scored his runs much faster, so that has to count in his favor.

In any case, I think Tendulkar should win it but Viv should be on his tail.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm biased. Bevan is an unbelievably good ODI player. I have never seen a player score so many runs at such a rate so calmly whilst saving his side's ass again and again.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Best ODI batsman that I haved watched is Viv Richards. I dont see anyone as good as him. To bat in an era where most people were scoring @ a SR of low 60s (in ODIs) and averaging in mid-high 30s, this man scored @ a SR of 90+ and an average of 47 is simply amazing. I dont think anyone will ever be as good as him in ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never seen any point in this question TBH, as I've said before. I don't feel ODIs fit the "all-time" mantra. I don't see any point whatsoever in comparing ODIs of the 1970s and 1980s with those of the 1990s and 2000s, they were inestimably different.

Bevan was the best of the modern ODI for mine, and Richards the best of the older ones.

And Dean Jones did more to change the game from what it was in the 1970s and 1980s than anyone else, and hence probably deserves a mention before anyone. Even though he was obviously not quite as good as Bevan or Tendulkar.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Richards should get a few votes. Though if Richards had played the same number of ODI innings as Tendulkar, he was on track for 26 centuries. Quite a bit, but not 42. However, Richards did score his runs faster and he didn't bat at the top of the order and the ODI game was different then, so its not a direct comparison. Compared to his peers, Richards scored his runs much faster, so that has to count in his favor.

First of all Viv mostly batted in the middle order where he had less opportunities to score 100s.
Secondly, he came into bat after one of the most prolific ODI opening pair of all time.

Thirdly and most important, the ODI has changed so much. back in the 80s 200-220 was a cmmon score and 250+ used to be a winning total, whereas now days 300-320s are common score.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
First of all Viv mostly batted in the middle order where he had less opportunities to score 100s.
Secondly, he came into bat after one of the most prolific ODI opening pair of all time.

Thirdly and most important, the ODI has changed so much. back in the 80s 200-220 was a cmmon score and 250+ used to be a winning total, whereas now days 300-320s are common score.

In any case, I think Tendulkar should win it but Viv should be on his tail.
You realize I said exactly what you said in your reply to my post. :p

he didn't bat at the top of the order
the ODI game was different then,
Compared to his peers, Richards scored his runs much faster,

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Viv for me, just.

Sachin's the best I've seen, and I'm a huge Sachin fan like many other Indian supporters, but I think Viv was just that little bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.