• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI batsman?

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Distinct lack of Bevan love in this thread. Have his performances just been forgotten over time? If I were to pick an all time ODI XI, he would be the first name down every time.
lol.. I have him as one of the 3 contenders for the all time best ODI batsman title and that is not enough Bevan love? :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Then what about Symonds?
He scores a bit more but a bit slower. Difference between them is Symonds scores 3 runs more but takes about 5 more balls to do it. Close.

You want someone who does very well in this measure, it's Viv Richards.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You want someone who does very well in this measure, it's Viv Richards.
Indeed Viv should've got a few more votes...My vote for Sachin probably comes from a bit of bias...But Sachin has at least a good 2-3 years of ODI left in him and in terms of longevity that'll be superb...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So What are you arguing here ?

Tendulkar has played 4 finals in WC (1 GF, 2 SF and one QF) averages :- 45.75, Gilly averages 50.5 in 6 matches, Ponting 42.25 in 9 matches.

Wow so much of difference. What an eye opener. I am just shattered to know the astronomical difference between the averages of Gilchrist and Tendulkar in all types of Finals in the world cup. It clearly proves thjat Gilchrist is the best ODI batsman ever to walk on the earth.

So much for Ponting being so good in WC All Finals, Except for the 140 Not out against India, he has been ordinary at best.
Look, I'm not saying that Sachin isnt a great player - he is probably the second best ever over the long haul and demands "consideration" as the best ever odi player BUT he averages 19 in games in which India were eliminated from the WC

Do these stats make Tendy a lesser player? No

However, such a massive hole in his record (and remember he has failed in 4/5 games where India has been eliminated) cannot automatically be overlooked just because he has scored 1000s of runs in far less important circumstances and particularly when others have achieved under precisely the same circumstances.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Do these stats make Tendy a lesser player? No

However, such a massive hole in his record (and remember he has failed in 4/5 games where India has been eliminated) cannot automatically be overlooked just because he has scored 1000s of runs in far less important circumstances and particularly when others have achieved under precisely the same circumstances.
Self-contradicting indeed...If it can't be overlooked then how does that not make him a lesser player....And if it doesn't make him a lesser player then how can you say you aren't overlooking that...I'm confused...Take one stance...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Self-contradicting indeed...If it can't be overlooked then how does that not make him a lesser player....And if it doesn't make him a lesser player then how can you say you aren't overlooking that...I'm confused...Take one stance...
I dont regard him as the greatest ever ODI batsman so this record doesnt lower him in my eyes

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed Viv should've got a few more votes...My vote for Sachin probably comes from a bit of bias...But Sachin has at least a good 2-3 years of ODI left in him and in terms of longevity that'll be superb...
For me Bevan and Viv are just above the others. Bevan is very hard to compare with. He batted much lower and his role was more of a saver than someone who would come in and start blasting away. He batted with the tail in numerous occasions and saw Australia over the line in so many matches. He was concerned with not getting out and just chipping away at the opposition at only the rate that was needed - sometimes he needed to play a few strokes and go for boundaries and he did but most often he just kept the runs ticking.

Viv needs little explanation. Everybody knows how good he was.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I dont regard him as the greatest ever ODI batsman so this record doesnt lower him in my eyes
Fair enough...This record doesn't lower him in the eyes of those also who consider him the greatest ever ODI batsman...So at least you have one similarity with them :) ...

Debris

International 12th Man
I just thought about who I would want in the centre if my side had to chase down a total. Lots of batsmen can score runs fast. Bevan's talent was to do it under pressure when it mattered.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I just thought about who I would want in the centre if my side had to chase down a total. Lots of batsmen can score runs fast. Bevan's talent was to do it under pressure when it mattered.
Yes, that's how I saw it too.

There are many batsmen in the Sachin/Richards/Ponting mould, maybe weaker a little, but there is no one like Bevan - Hussey has done well so far but not carried Australia like Bevan yet. Bevan is the first name you'd write down and that all has to do with his value and incomparability.

bagapath

International Captain
yeah.. I remember that and I have that particular edition at my home.. It was very interesting that Sachin got into the same number of XIs as Lara and I think, Bevan.
I always believed that magazine was bought by, at max, two people in chennai. now i know who the other one is....

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
lol.. I have him as one of the 3 contenders for the all time best ODI batsman title and that is not enough Bevan love? :)
I was referring to the Ponting v Tendulkar discussion that has taken over most of this thread. For mine, Bevan is better than both.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was referring to the Ponting v Tendulkar discussion that has taken over most of this thread. For mine, Bevan is better than both.
fair enough. Personally, I would put Sachin ahead of Bevan but I can see where you are coming from and I guess it is reasonable enough because I do think it is very very close between them... Again, having never really watched Viv, I am not gonna comment on him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree that Bevan is one of the best ODI players of all time, but if you put a bunch of other top class batsman as low down as Bevan was, they'd probably have a similar record.

I watched pretty much the entire career of Bevan, and he was exceptional at what he did, but I feel at least 5-6 other great ODI batsmen could have done the same type of job coming in his situation.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bevan has always fascinated me greatly. One of the great myths, though, is that he always batted down the order. He batted down the order for most of his career, but he also had 53 innings at #4, which is still a top order position IMO.

2265 runs @ 60 in that position FWIW, with a SR of 70. He averaged more at #4 than he did in any other position.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree that Bevan is one of the best ODI players of all time, but if you put a bunch of other top class batsman as low down as Bevan was, they'd probably have a similar record.

I watched pretty much the entire career of Bevan, and he was exceptional at what he did, but I feel at least 5-6 other great ODI batsmen could have done the same type of job coming in his situation.
None of them played Irfan Pathan in international cricket. Therefore, they are all inferior to Younis Khan:)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
2265 runs @ 60 in that position FWIW, with a SR of 70. He averaged more at #4 than he did in any other position.

Yes, I know about this, and if he had played more of his career there with that average, I'd agree with you. The S/R of 70 is low, but the average more than makes up for that. Even overall, his S/R is close to Rahul Dravid. Obviously he is a much better ODI batsman than Dravid, but unlike in Tests, S/R in ODIs plays a part. You need a big average to make up for that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.