• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI batsman?

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So What are you arguing here ?

Tendulkar has played 4 finals in WC (1 GF, 2 SF and one QF) averages :- 45.75, Gilly averages 50.5 in 6 matches.
In fact, if you include must-win games, I guess Gilly's average will go down too.. IIRC, their only must win game was against RSA in the super 6 stage in 99 WC and I don't think he scored too many in that game..

Although Sachin's failure against Sri Lanka in the last WC might bring his stats down too. But we had a clutch of must win games in the 2003 WC as well, where he did well.

bond21

Banned
wtf at no Gilchrist....

He was voted Australia's greatest ODI player ever by his peers....why does Bevan warrant a position in this poll above him...??

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
wtf at no Gilchrist....

He was voted Australia's greatest ODI player ever by his peers....why does Bevan warrant a position in this poll above him...??
This is for the best batsman; not the best player. Gilchrist's wicket keeping would have played a fairly large part in that vote, but not this one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is for the best batsman; not the best player. Gilchrist's wicket keeping would have played a fairly large part in that vote, but not this one.
I'd be surprised at that

Far more likely that's it's related to career s/r and match-winning innings in the last 3 wc finals

Isura

U19 Captain
I would side with the Tendulkar supporters. They played much less ODI cricket in Viv's time, and it was not that important from a financial perspective. If Viv played in the tendulkar era of million dollar sponsership contracts (and had the weight on India on his shoulders) I reckon we'd rate him the best ever.

Where would you guys rate Jayasuriya ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
tendulkar is the greatest one day opener in history and in the top two of the greatest ever one day batsmen along with richards...all "arguments" that call for a ponting or even more amazing a gilchrist to be rated at par with them are at best clutching at some seriously imaginary straws...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Where would you guys rate Jayasuriya ?
as a very good one day opener and allrounder....i am not sure about his exact position in a list of great players but tendulkar, richards, haynes, ponting, lara, bevan, probably dean jones, inzy, m.waugh et al as well would come above him...

bagapath

International Captain
when a bunch of ex cricketers, including ian chappell, tony grieg, barry richards, etc, selected an all time one day XI for cricinfo magazine last year they chose the following team.

tendulkar
gilchrist (wk)
richards
ponting
lara
symonds
imran khan
hadlee
akram
warne
garner

richards and gilchrist were in the list of all the 11 judges - only players to be so. tendulkar was not selcted by rameez raja who preferred jayasuriya to open with gilchrist for his team. I would gladly replace symonds and hadlee with bevan and ambrose.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
when a bunch of ex cricketers, including ian chappell, tony grieg, barry richards, etc, selected an all time one day XI for cricinfo magazine last year they chose the following team.

tendulkar
gilchrist (wk)
richards
ponting
lara
symonds
imran khan
hadlee
akram
warne
garner

richards and gilchrist were in the list of all the 11 judges - only players to be so. tendulkar was not selcted by rameez raja who preferred jayasuriya to open with gilchrist for his team. I would gladly replace symonds and hadlee with bevan and ambrose.
yeah.. I remember that and I have that particular edition at my home.. It was very interesting that Sachin got into the same number of XIs as Lara and I think, Bevan.

Gilchrist was always going to be an obvious choice as opener/wicket keeper... If there was a proviso that he won't be able to keep, I can see some guys perhaps replacing him with Jayasuriya, or, in the case of Rameez Raja, with Sachin Tendulkar. But then again, I guess, Jayasuriya's abilities with the ball might play a part too. But the fact is, wtih Jayasuriya and with Gilchrist, their batting would be the primary concern.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So What are you arguing here ?

Tendulkar has played 4 finals in WC (1 GF, 2 SF and one QF) averages :- 45.75, Gilly averages 50.5 in 6 matches, Ponting 42.25 in 9 matches.

Wow so much of difference. What an eye opener. I am just shattered to know the astronomical difference between the averages of Gilchrist and Tendulkar in all types of Finals in the world cup. It clearly proves thjat Gilchrist is the best ODI batsman ever to walk on the earth.

So much for Ponting being so good in WC All Finals, Except for the 140 Not out against India, he has been ordinary at best.
It argues that both Ponting and Gilly have better WC finals records? You left out SR, that's what makes Tendulkar the weakest of the 3 and Gilly the most superior. Tendulkar is in the 70s I think, Ponting in the 80s and Gilchrist strikes at about 120 IIRC.

There really isn't much difference in their overall record either. That was the whole point. Both Gilly and Ponting can lay claim to this title.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
This arguement of considering only WC finals just doesn't hold water..would any of you say the CB series final was insignificant?? well, if you do that reflects your bias.So when people point out his records in ODI finals don't be such a hurry to write em off..I'm sure plenty of other finals are of note the famous 98 Sharjah inning comes to mind.
I think the whole point is that neither Ponting nor Gilly have to rest on their WC records to be better. As it is, they rival Sachin's.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And tell me now, if it is Ind Vs Aus in the 2011 WC final and Sachin scores a big 140+ and Ponting gets out for a golden duck, would that put Ponting down the pecking order?
When you compare the two players, it would certainly push Tendulkar over the top.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
There really isn't much difference in their overall record either.
There's huge differnce between overall career records of Gilchrist and Sachin...If you don't consider Gilchrist's keeping, his overall record is somewhat like Jayasuriya's, not Sachin's...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Distinct lack of Bevan love in this thread. Have his performances just been forgotten over time? If I were to pick an all time ODI XI, he would be the first name down every time.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
There's huge differnce between overall career records of Gilchrist and Sachin...If you don't consider Gilchrist's keeping, his overall record is somewhat like Jayasuriya's, not Sachin's...
Not at all. Jayasuria not only scores less he strikes slower too.

Gilchrist's and Tendulkar's records are closer than they first appear. Even in 'all' finals (all tournaments) Gilchrists' record is just as good as Sachin's.

Distinct lack of Bevan love in this thread. Have his performances just been forgotten over time? If I were to pick an all time ODI XI, he would be the first name down every time.
Yeah, truly can't believe it. If there is anyone who's batting feats you'd think would be remembered is Bevan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.