• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI batsman?

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So its a criteria when a player you like does it? It seems to me that you decide what players you want to win and then go back and select the criteria that he does well in.
Huh? We're talking about someone who managed the greatest all-round feat in ODI in a world cup. If that doesn't merit recognition then nothing does.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How is it nit picking? When I've judged Sachin with the others I've judged them on this term. You can't really make a comparison on 1 inning. Not just 'the' final.
Yes I can. I can make whatever criteria I like. From now on In my discussions with your ilk I will judge him solely on his performance in the semis of world cup.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I can. I can make whatever criteria I like. From now on In my discussions with your ilk I will judge him solely on his performance in the semis of world cup.
That's fine. I really couldn't care less what your criteria is. But as long as you make it known at least it is transparent. Maybe if Gilchrist played Kenya in the semis he too would average better ;).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It should be said that I consider Tendulkar just as good if not better than the players mentioned. Just playing the devil's advocate and showing the other side has a point.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Are you guy seriously claiming that because of one innings, the career of a batsman who has batted four-hundred and seven times in ODIs is significantly poorer?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Are you guy seriously claiming that because of one innings, the career of a batsman who has batted four-hundred and seven times in ODIs is significantly poorer?
I think some are saying that figures wise, someone like Ponting/Gilchrist is up there with Tendulkar yet also did well in finals.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
I think some are saying that figures wise, someone like Ponting/Gilchrist is up there with Tendulkar yet also did well in finals.
This arguement of considering only WC finals just doesn't hold water..would any of you say the CB series final was insignificant?? well, if you do that reflects your bias.So when people point out his records in ODI finals don't be such a hurry to write em off..I'm sure plenty of other finals are of note the famous 98 Sharjah inning comes to mind.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
david boon scored more than sachin in the world cup final. may be he is a better batsman too !!!!
Krish Srikkanth scored more than Sachin in a WC final.. In fact, he scored more than Viv and Lloyd in that very WC final. He is obviously the greatest ODI batsman ever. :p ;)

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
No, sorry, Jonathan Neil Rhodes is not even South Africa's best ODI batsman, never mind a top-tier (never never mind best-ever-candidate) batsman.
well.........i m a gr8 fan of jonty rhodes (as my name suggests)...

he was definitely south africa's best batsman during his time........

& no comments on his fielding....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ok, seriously, it is getting ridiculous now. I can see Kazo has some semblance of a point but Social is juz being Social again, I guess.

I don't need to see any numbers to decide that Sachin is the best ODI batsman I have seen (haven't seen Viv except in footages, not good enough to comment on him). The holes he had in his ODI records were his lack of centuries in Australia (and RSA, and he is yet to score 1 there against them I believe) and his comparatively poor performance when chasing down targets. And in the recent CB series, he batted like a dream and showed that he could do all that too.

As I had posted in the CB series thread itself, he showed that he could do what you expect of an opener (a Gilchrist, an Anwar, a Jayasuriya) but also he could do something that the others do much less often... Carry on and finish or almost finish the game. The job that Bevan did.. He showed that he had the genius and hitting ability of the other openers I mentioned but he also had the know-how and the skills of a finisher. I don't really see how any other "modern" ODI batsman could have been any better than him. And tell me now, if it is Ind Vs Aus in the 2011 WC final and Sachin scores a big 140+ and Ponting gets out for a golden duck, would that put Ponting down the pecking order?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's fine. I really couldn't care less what your criteria is. But as long as you make it known at least it is transparent. Maybe if Gilchrist played Kenya in the semis he too would average better
Not a Chance. In the WC against Kenya :- Gilchrist 67, Tendulkar - 177.5, Ponting - 12.00.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
dont intend to sidetrack the thread (its my thread :p ) but Jonty, to me, looked like he performed quite a lot more under pressure than a Cullinan or a Cronje or even Smith...
i am not sidetracking ur thread......

& i agree that rhodes performed quite a lot more under pressure than a Cullinan or a Cronje or even Smith...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How is it nit picking? When I've judged Sachin with the others I've judged them on this term. You can't really make a comparison on 1 inning. Not just 'the' final.
So What are you arguing here ?

Tendulkar has played 4 finals in WC (1 GF, 2 SF and one QF) averages :- 45.75, Gilly averages 50.5 in 6 matches, Ponting 42.25 in 9 matches.

Wow so much of difference. What an eye opener. I am just shattered to know the astronomical difference between the averages of Gilchrist and Tendulkar in all types of Finals in the world cup. It clearly proves thjat Gilchrist is the best ODI batsman ever to walk on the earth.

So much for Ponting being so good in WC All Finals, Except for the 140 Not out against India, he has been ordinary at best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.