View Poll Results: Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sachin Tendulkar

    29 43.94%
  • Sir Vivian Richards

    19 28.79%
  • Michael Bevan

    15 22.73%
  • Ashish Nehra

    3 4.55%
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 400

Thread: Best ODI batsman?

  1. #301
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,984
    "like IVA"

    Please name some others. Bevan, yes. Who else?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  2. #302
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Not going to respond to the rest of the post as I said I wouldn't, but I still don't understand what him being gone or not has to do with anything. If and when in the future he is no longer any good, that does not say anything about his past. Tomorrow I may want him dropped - what does that have to do with what he did in from 1989-2008 though?
    For a start, it's not as good as IVA in ODIs (which is the subject of this thread btw)

  3. #303
    ret
    ret is offline
    International Debutant ret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    2,890
    so thankfully the Pontings, the Gillys and the Bevans are out of it and its rightfully b/w Richards and Tendulkar
    Fastest gun in town

  4. #304
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    "like IVA"

    Please name some others. Bevan, yes. Who else?
    So if there are 2 (i.e Viv and Bevan) that qualifies as plural

    IMO, Viv is clearly the best, Sachin second (cant ignore his overall record) and who cares who is 3rd

    If you want controversy from me, then IMO Symonds may well be the best of the lot - unbelievable WC record AND ODI record, best fieldsman, chips in with wickets


  5. #305
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,984
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    So if there are 2 (i.e Viv and Bevan) that qualifies as plural

    IMO, Viv is clearly the best, Sachin second (cant ignore his overall record) and who cares who is 3rd

    If you want controversy from me, then IMO Symonds may well be the best of the lot - unbelievable WC record AND ODI record, best fieldsman, chips in with wickets
    Not that controversial if you mean 'player'

    What I can't understand is why this bothers you so much? I voted Viv myself, but if someone thinks Sachin is better than Viv, its hardly something to get so fired up about. The difference between them isn't that much.

    I think the reason some Sachin fans here feel the need to defend the great man (and have to do it on a yearly basis, if not a half-yearly basis) is when people try and claim that Gilchrist is the better ODI batsman because of his WC final record.

    Simple answer is Gilly isn't better than Sachin. Call him a better WC final player, but that's why people are arguing.

    I don't think any Sachin fan here would get pissy at someone if they said Viv (or Bevan for that matter) was better. Ponting is a little bit behind IMO but not by much.

    All three are better ODI batsmen overall than Gilly though. All these four would make my world XI though so who cares?

  6. #306
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    [QUOTE=Jono;1573100]Not that controversial if you mean 'player'

    QUOTE]

    Nope, guy averages 100 at s/r of 100

    Another tournament like that, when combined with his career record, and he is the BEST EVER

  7. #307
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Not that controversial if you mean 'player'

    What I can't understand is why this bothers you so much? I voted Viv myself, but if someone thinks Sachin is better than Viv, its hardly something to get so fired up about. The difference between them isn't that much.

    I think the reason some Sachin fans here feel the need to defend the great man (and have to do it on a yearly basis, if not a half-yearly basis) is when people try and claim that Gilchrist is the better ODI batsman because of his WC final record.

    Simple answer is Gilly isn't better than Sachin. Call him a better WC final player, but that's why people are arguing.

    I don't think any Sachin fan here would get pissy at someone if they said Viv (or Bevan for that matter) was better. Ponting is a little bit behind IMO but not by much.

    All three are better ODI batsmen overall than Gilly though. All these four would make my world XI though so who cares?
    Let's get it straight on Sachin

    Many people defend him when things are going well but stick the boot into him on a regular basis when things arent going well

    I've never attacked him and, in fact, have defended his position in the team more than once

    Unfortunately, great player though he is, others have performed BETTER at crucial times of the most important ODI tournament - that's why I rate others more highly and why others hhave called for his head from time to time

  8. #308
    International Debutant shankar's Avatar
    3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    I must have misread, I apologise.

    However, it affects his SR as much as it affects Gilly's: 2 points. So, not much of an argument there.
    The point there is that Tendulkar's average when opening is 48+ - 4 more than his career average.

    Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic
    You're confusing yourself.

    Just the opening slots: Tendulkar averages 48 and strikes at 87. Which means he scores 48 runs off 54 balls.

    Gilchrist in the same comparison averages 37 and strikes at 98. Which means he scores 37 runs off 38.

    The difference between them is that Tendulkar will score 11 runs faster but will take 14 balls longer to do it. In order to make up that difference one would just need to score the 11 extra runs with an SR of 78. Not a terribly big feat but it also gives the opportunity to score more. For example if Ponting were to bat with those extra balls he would score that and actually more.
    It's simple: Tendulkar's contribution can be broken down into 37 off say 40 - slightly slower than Gilchrist + 11 off 14. Ponting's average inning is 44 off about 55. So the additional contribution of Sachin is the same rate as Ponting (SR: 80) and 1/4th of his runs. So he actually almost equals Gilchrist's contribution and then goes on to make an additional contribution of 1/4th of an average Ponting inning.

    I don't see how you call it 'not a terribly big feat'. The point your mopping over with this analysis is that a wicket is saved i.e. while Ponting + Gilchrist would make 48/1 off 55 balls, Tendulkar saves a wicket and does the same.

    Of course the benefit of an additional wicket is obvious. The other batsmen can play quicker in these additional 11 balls because of having an extra wicket in hand. This would also mean that you can afford to play a pinch hitter who averages just 30 in place of a slower batsman who averages 41. Or you could play an extra all-rounder instead of a proper batsman.
    Last edited by shankar; 30-05-2008 at 12:53 PM.

  9. #309
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,835
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    For a start, it's not as good as IVA in ODIs (which is the subject of this thread btw)
    No, you said something was weird about people calling for his axing in 2007. What does that have to do with anything? You said it was ironic and found it crazy that people could be calling an axing of someone who they thought was no longer good? Thinking Viv was better is fair enough and I don't have any problem with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  10. #310
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    [QUOTE=silentstriker;1573132]No, you said something was weird about people calling for his axing in 2007. What does that have to do with anything? You said it was ironic and found it crazy that people could be calling an axing of someone who they thought was no longer good? Thinking Viv was better is fair enough and I don't have any problem with that.[/QUOT{

    Point is that Sachin's fans ride an emotional roller-coaster

    1 year they call for his omission, thereby dismissing his contribution to the game over more than a decade

    Next they claim he is the greatest and attempt to justify their position by altering the laws of probability

    Guy is a great player, just not the greatest

    I cant imagine he loses too much sleep at night

  11. #311
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,835
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Point is that Sachin's fans ride an emotional roller-coaster

    1 year they call for his omission, thereby dismissing his contribution to the game over more than a decade
    Why would calling for his omission be dismissing his contribution to the game? Richards wasn't very good the last two-three years, and he could rightly have been dropped at that time. McGrath, if he played longer, might have led me (through tears) to call for his omission at that time too - that doesn't mean he didn't contribute anything else. Everyone is eventually dropped if they don't retire, that doesn't invalidate their contribution.

  12. #312
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Guy is a great player, just not the greatest
    That's your opinion (and mine too) but not a fact.

    But rest of the stuff that you said just Bull****.

  13. #313
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    That's your opinion (and mine too) but not a fact.

    But rest of the stuff that you said just Bull****.
    So what's your logic?

  14. #314
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    So what's your logic?
    Nothing much Except that IVA is the better player IMO and the fact that he was 15 years ahead of his time, Batted in tougher ODI conditions.

  15. #315
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Nothing much Except that IVA is the better player IMO and the fact that he was 15 years ahead of his time, Batted in tougher ODI conditions.
    \\

    Really

    Ever see him bat?

    What were the conditions like?

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best ODI batsman ATM
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-06-2008, 05:39 AM
  2. Who's The Best Batsman EVER?
    By kata505 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 13-08-2007, 05:46 PM
  3. Best Batsman
    By oz_fan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 193
    Last Post: 30-04-2006, 02:41 AM
  4. Sloggin' Batsman = Good Batsman ?
    By masterblaster10 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 31-01-2005, 05:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •