View Poll Results: Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sachin Tendulkar

29 43.94%
  • Sir Vivian Richards

19 28.79%
  • Michael Bevan

15 22.73%
  • Ashish Nehra

3 4.55%
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Best ODI batsman?

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Self-contradicting indeed...If it can't be overlooked then how does that not make him a lesser player....And if it doesn't make him a lesser player then how can you say you aren't overlooking that...I'm confused...Take one stance...
    I dont regard him as the greatest ever ODI batsman so this record doesnt lower him in my eyes

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Indeed Viv should've got a few more votes...My vote for Sachin probably comes from a bit of bias...But Sachin has at least a good 2-3 years of ODI left in him and in terms of longevity that'll be superb...
    For me Bevan and Viv are just above the others. Bevan is very hard to compare with. He batted much lower and his role was more of a saver than someone who would come in and start blasting away. He batted with the tail in numerous occasions and saw Australia over the line in so many matches. He was concerned with not getting out and just chipping away at the opposition at only the rate that was needed - sometimes he needed to play a few strokes and go for boundaries and he did but most often he just kept the runs ticking.

Viv needs little explanation. Everybody knows how good he was.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    I dont regard him as the greatest ever ODI batsman so this record doesnt lower him in my eyes
    Fair enough...This record doesn't lower him in the eyes of those also who consider him the greatest ever ODI batsman...So at least you have one similarity with them ...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

I just thought about who I would want in the centre if my side had to chase down a total. Lots of batsmen can score runs fast. Bevan's talent was to do it under pressure when it mattered.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    I just thought about who I would want in the centre if my side had to chase down a total. Lots of batsmen can score runs fast. Bevan's talent was to do it under pressure when it mattered.
    Yes, that's how I saw it too.

There are many batsmen in the Sachin/Richards/Ponting mould, maybe weaker a little, but there is no one like Bevan - Hussey has done well so far but not carried Australia like Bevan yet. Bevan is the first name you'd write down and that all has to do with his value and incomparability.

Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    There are many batsmen in the Sachin/Richards/Ponting mould, maybe weaker a little, but there is no one like Bevan
    Because very few times your best batsman bats at number 6 or number 5...

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    yeah.. I remember that and I have that particular edition at my home.. It was very interesting that Sachin got into the same number of XIs as Lara and I think, Bevan.
    I always believed that magazine was bought by, at max, two people in chennai. now i know who the other one is....

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    I always believed that magazine was bought by, at max, two people in chennai. now i know who the other one is....
    lol... I felt it was pretty good... But then again, I am a confessed cricket nut.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    lol.. I have him as one of the 3 contenders for the all time best ODI batsman title and that is not enough Bevan love?
    I was referring to the Ponting v Tendulkar discussion that has taken over most of this thread. For mine, Bevan is better than both.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    I was referring to the Ponting v Tendulkar discussion that has taken over most of this thread. For mine, Bevan is better than both.
    fair enough. Personally, I would put Sachin ahead of Bevan but I can see where you are coming from and I guess it is reasonable enough because I do think it is very very close between them... Again, having never really watched Viv, I am not gonna comment on him.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I agree that Bevan is one of the best ODI players of all time, but if you put a bunch of other top class batsman as low down as Bevan was, they'd probably have a similar record.

I watched pretty much the entire career of Bevan, and he was exceptional at what he did, but I feel at least 5-6 other great ODI batsmen could have done the same type of job coming in his situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Bevan has always fascinated me greatly. One of the great myths, though, is that he always batted down the order. He batted down the order for most of his career, but he also had 53 innings at #4, which is still a top order position IMO.

2265 runs @ 60 in that position FWIW, with a SR of 70. He averaged more at #4 than he did in any other position.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I agree that Bevan is one of the best ODI players of all time, but if you put a bunch of other top class batsman as low down as Bevan was, they'd probably have a similar record.

I watched pretty much the entire career of Bevan, and he was exceptional at what he did, but I feel at least 5-6 other great ODI batsmen could have done the same type of job coming in his situation.
    None of them played Irfan Pathan in international cricket. Therefore, they are all inferior to Younis Khan
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    2265 runs @ 60 in that position FWIW, with a SR of 70. He averaged more at #4 than he did in any other position.

Yes, I know about this, and if he had played more of his career there with that average, I'd agree with you. The S/R of 70 is low, but the average more than makes up for that. Even overall, his S/R is close to Rahul Dravid. Obviously he is a much better ODI batsman than Dravid, but unlike in Tests, S/R in ODIs plays a part. You need a big average to make up for that.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 29-05-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Though obviously, he'd be a guarantee in my all time ODI side along with Viv Richards, Tendulkar, and Garner.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information