View Poll Results: Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sachin Tendulkar

29 43.94%
  • Sir Vivian Richards

19 28.79%
  • Michael Bevan

15 22.73%
  • Ashish Nehra

3 4.55%
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Best ODI batsman?

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    when a bunch of ex cricketers, including ian chappell, tony grieg, barry richards, etc, selected an all time one day XI for cricinfo magazine last year they chose the following team.

tendulkar
    gilchrist (wk)
    richards
    ponting
    lara
    symonds
    imran khan
    hadlee
    akram
    warne
    garner

richards and gilchrist were in the list of all the 11 judges - only players to be so. tendulkar was not selcted by rameez raja who preferred jayasuriya to open with gilchrist for his team. I would gladly replace symonds and hadlee with bevan and ambrose.
    Last edited by bagapath; 28-05-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I meant that "I don't intend to sidetrack the thread"..

Didn't say you were sidetracking at all, mate...
    sorry bhai.....

miss interpreted ur post............

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    when a bunch of ex cricketers, including ian chappell, tony grieg, barry richards, etc, selected an all time one day XI for cricinfo magazine last year they chose the following team.

tendulkar
    gilchrist (wk)
    richards
    ponting
    lara
    symonds
    imran khan
    hadlee
    akram
    warne
    garner

richards and gilchrist were in the list of all the 11 judges - only players to be so. tendulkar was not selcted by rameez raja who preferred jayasuriya to open with gilchrist for his team. I would gladly replace symonds and hadlee with bevan and ambrose.
    yeah.. I remember that and I have that particular edition at my home.. It was very interesting that Sachin got into the same number of XIs as Lara and I think, Bevan.

Gilchrist was always going to be an obvious choice as opener/wicket keeper... If there was a proviso that he won't be able to keep, I can see some guys perhaps replacing him with Jayasuriya, or, in the case of Rameez Raja, with Sachin Tendulkar. But then again, I guess, Jayasuriya's abilities with the ball might play a part too. But the fact is, wtih Jayasuriya and with Gilchrist, their batting would be the primary concern.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    So What are you arguing here ?

Tendulkar has played 4 finals in WC (1 GF, 2 SF and one QF) averages :- 45.75, Gilly averages 50.5 in 6 matches, Ponting 42.25 in 9 matches.

Wow so much of difference. What an eye opener. I am just shattered to know the astronomical difference between the averages of Gilchrist and Tendulkar in all types of Finals in the world cup. It clearly proves thjat Gilchrist is the best ODI batsman ever to walk on the earth.

So much for Ponting being so good in WC All Finals, Except for the 140 Not out against India, he has been ordinary at best.
    It argues that both Ponting and Gilly have better WC finals records? You left out SR, that's what makes Tendulkar the weakest of the 3 and Gilly the most superior. Tendulkar is in the 70s I think, Ponting in the 80s and Gilchrist strikes at about 120 IIRC.

There really isn't much difference in their overall record either. That was the whole point. Both Gilly and Ponting can lay claim to this title.
    Last edited by Ikki; 29-05-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Lambu View Post
    This arguement of considering only WC finals just doesn't hold water..would any of you say the CB series final was insignificant?? well, if you do that reflects your bias.So when people point out his records in ODI finals don't be such a hurry to write em off..I'm sure plenty of other finals are of note the famous 98 Sharjah inning comes to mind.
    I think the whole point is that neither Ponting nor Gilly have to rest on their WC records to be better. As it is, they rival Sachin's.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    And tell me now, if it is Ind Vs Aus in the 2011 WC final and Sachin scores a big 140+ and Ponting gets out for a golden duck, would that put Ponting down the pecking order?
    When you compare the two players, it would certainly push Tendulkar over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by KaZoH0lic View Post
    There really isn't much difference in their overall record either.
    There's huge differnce between overall career records of Gilchrist and Sachin...If you don't consider Gilchrist's keeping, his overall record is somewhat like Jayasuriya's, not Sachin's...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Distinct lack of Bevan love in this thread. Have his performances just been forgotten over time? If I were to pick an all time ODI XI, he would be the first name down every time.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    There's huge differnce between overall career records of Gilchrist and Sachin...If you don't consider Gilchrist's keeping, his overall record is somewhat like Jayasuriya's, not Sachin's...
    Not at all. Jayasuria not only scores less he strikes slower too.

Gilchrist's and Tendulkar's records are closer than they first appear. Even in 'all' finals (all tournaments) Gilchrists' record is just as good as Sachin's.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Distinct lack of Bevan love in this thread. Have his performances just been forgotten over time? If I were to pick an all time ODI XI, he would be the first name down every time.
    Yeah, truly can't believe it. If there is anyone who's batting feats you'd think would be remembered is Bevan.
    Last edited by Ikki; 29-05-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Not at all. Jayasuria not only scores less he strikes slower too.
    Then what about Symonds?

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    lol.. I have him as one of the 3 contenders for the all time best ODI batsman title and that is not enough Bevan love?

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Then what about Symonds?
    He scores a bit more but a bit slower. Difference between them is Symonds scores 3 runs more but takes about 5 more balls to do it. Close.

You want someone who does very well in this measure, it's Viv Richards.

You want someone who does very well in this measure, it's Viv Richards.
    Indeed Viv should've got a few more votes...My vote for Sachin probably comes from a bit of bias...But Sachin has at least a good 2-3 years of ODI left in him and in terms of longevity that'll be superb...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    So What are you arguing here ?

Tendulkar has played 4 finals in WC (1 GF, 2 SF and one QF) averages :- 45.75, Gilly averages 50.5 in 6 matches, Ponting 42.25 in 9 matches.

Wow so much of difference. What an eye opener. I am just shattered to know the astronomical difference between the averages of Gilchrist and Tendulkar in all types of Finals in the world cup. It clearly proves thjat Gilchrist is the best ODI batsman ever to walk on the earth.

So much for Ponting being so good in WC All Finals, Except for the 140 Not out against India, he has been ordinary at best.
    Look, I'm not saying that Sachin isnt a great player - he is probably the second best ever over the long haul and demands "consideration" as the best ever odi player BUT he averages 19 in games in which India were eliminated from the WC

Do these stats make Tendy a lesser player? No

However, such a massive hole in his record (and remember he has failed in 4/5 games where India has been eliminated) cannot automatically be overlooked just because he has scored 1000s of runs in far less important circumstances and particularly when others have achieved under precisely the same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Do these stats make Tendy a lesser player? No

However, such a massive hole in his record (and remember he has failed in 4/5 games where India has been eliminated) cannot automatically be overlooked just because he has scored 1000s of runs in far less important circumstances and particularly when others have achieved under precisely the same circumstances.
    Self-contradicting indeed...If it can't be overlooked then how does that not make him a lesser player....And if it doesn't make him a lesser player then how can you say you aren't overlooking that...I'm confused...Take one stance...

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information