• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cairns to call it quits?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Cairns is seriously considering retirement after the English county season because of constant injuries.

This would be a huge disappointment because Cairns is still capable of being a good player, yet over the last year or so NZ have done alright in both forms of the game without him so he may feel that he can step out while NZ are in a good situation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wonder how much of it is to save face since he now realises there's no guarantee he'll make the side now (with his replacements performing pretty well) ?

krkode

State Captain
Personally, I think no team (bar Australia for test matches only) is too good for Cairns. The man's got class :P

If injury forces him to retire, that's a whole other story. I'd be extremely sad for him and for NZ who have lost SO MANY excellent prospects in recent years - Allot, Nash, Drum and O'Connor to name a few. It would be aweful to see Cairns follow. :(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah last night he was pretty good..pulling Sami for four the first ball he faced.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
disapointing for him but its been on the cards over the past season - One of Kiwilands finest :)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I don't give him much longer..but i think there is an air of expectation in NZ that Cairns will give it away soon, its kind of like we've gotten used to being without him rather than if he suddenly came down with a major injury & shocked everyone by retiring a couple of years back.

Cairns will be remembered for some fantastic achievements. But in 1989 he suffered that horriffic back injury which forced him to cut down on pace because at that stage he was very quick, you just get the feeling he never really was able to peak & if he did then look out because he could have been greater than he already is.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Well cairns will give it a little longer. One more big injury and he will go.. I was talking to his mother and step-father at my awards on friday and they think he has go more left in him.

krkode

State Captain
One goodly old match that I'll always remember was the ICC Mini World Cup thing final in Nairobi. Stunning...he just pulled the match away from the Indians, who happened to be doing so well then...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously thought NZ were going to get hammered in that match because Tendulkar & Ganguly went mental. It looked like they would get 300+ but NZ bowled well at the end to restrict India to something like 250.

Then NZ were in trouble again at something like 70/3 and Cairns pretty much played the best innings of his career. If Cairns could consistently bat with the maturity he showed in the Nairobi final then he'd have no problems just being a batsman for the next 3 or 4 years if his bowling was never to eventuate again.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Dunno really , looking as a person playing for NZ cricket team i have high regard for him , but as a person i dont really have any regard for him , hardly had any discipline...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I have huge respect for Cairnsy. He has done some stupid things in his life but then who hasn't, it is just anything he does wrong is in the media.