• Undecided \ more than one equal

1 4.17%
  • Murali Kartik

5 20.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedi vs Chandra vs Prasanna

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Bedi vs Chandra vs Prasanna

Yes, a question I've long found fascinating. These three formed, joint with the South African triplet of Schwarz, Vogler and Faulkner, the most potent spin attack in history during Indian cricket's most successful phase to date, the last 6-7 years notwithstanding.

So who was the best of the three? Am open to pretty much all myself, but I have read material suggesting Chandra was the most accomplished overseas performer, which to date has meant I've tended to consider him the best.

Venkat, the backup spinner, was always thought inferior by most despite the fact he was picked ahead of Prasanna on a number of occasions. So he's not included here.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Bedi ran rampant in the fourth innings (average of 14). All good fingerspinners do well when pitch assists them, but Bedi did exceptionally even by the standards of fingerspinners on helpful pitches. Plus, he was the most beautiful to look at. As you mentioned, Chandra was more accomplished overseas, but it's close in terms of overall ability watching Bedi is a lot of fun, so I'm going to give it to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

For me its between Prasanna (perhaps the best finger spinning off spinner of all time) and Chandra. Undecided at the moment.

All time? Surely who played during covered wickets Anthony?

Laker, who played on uncovered and averaged, what, 17 in this country, must surely rank above Prasanna?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Went for Prasanna based on Chappell's reckoning of him as the best finger spinner he faced.

Narrow criterion I know, but I didn't really see enough of them to comment for myself, and I confess to being less au fait with their bowling than I should be.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

TBF, I don't imagine more than 1 person on this forum did see much if more than a tiny little bit of any of the bowlers.

There's a few who might've seen the tail-end of their careers, but even our, ahem, elder statesmen like yourself and Sean E generally date from the mid-1970s. A couple more from the early-1970s, but just the one Indian.

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    waiting for SJS to post.
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

KickUps Champion!
    Its close between Bedi and Chandra IMO. But I think Bedi just beats Chandra. Apparently sometimes chandra said that he didn't know what was going to happen when he bowled which doesn't sound too good.

Why the question asks best Indian spinner?...It should've been 'the best Indian spinner among the triplet' (as the post by Richard mentions) as there are few who might consider Gupte or Kumble the best Indian spinner...
    Last edited by weldone; 28-05-2008 at 04:29 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

International Captain
    They produced very little between them in England. Chandra bowled England out at the Oval in 1971 to win the series after rain had saved India in the first two Tests but there's little of note beyond that. On a fairly cold first half of the summer in 1974 they were fodder and the likes of David Lloyd and Mike Denness made them look like very ordinary bowlers. In 1979 neither Bedi or Chandra were fit at the start of the tour, Chandra played the first Test when clearly not fit and wasn't seen again in the remaining three Tests, Bedi played in those three Tests but was largely ineffective. On a bouncy turning wicket Chandra is India's best bowler although it would have been interesting to see Kumble bowling on the Indian wickets of the early 70's.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanga1337 View Post
    Its close between Bedi and Chandra IMO. But I think Bedi just beats Chandra. Apparently sometimes chandra said that he didn't know what was going to happen when he bowled which doesn't sound too good.
    He never said that . I have personally asked him that question around 1980 and he laughed and said it was just another of those myths

KickUps Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    He never said that . I have personally asked him that question around 1980 and he laughed and said it was just another of those myths
    My bad... Guess my sources weren't too good then. Even so I would still rate Bedi higher as he seemed to be more like a traditional spinner where as chandra seemed to bowl at medium pace and didn't really give it flight. Still got a good record mind

ret
    Chandra .... haven't watched any of them in action except on clips but i reckon Chandra would be the most dangerous amongst them
    Fastest gun in town

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    How did Murali Kartik, a decent bowler, but hardly a legend, get in with that great triumverate in the first place let alone get 20% of the vote?

And why is it that when he played for Lancashire he was called Kartik Murali?

Chandra was the one I voted for mainly because I recall watching that performance at the Oval in '71 - my Dad used to tell me that "Fergie" Gupte was the best Indian spinner ever mind you were he still with us he'd still swear blind that Amar Singh and Mohammed Nissar were the best pair of Indian pace bowlers ever!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Well that puts that little myth to bed then!!!

SJS, I don't doubt your recollections, but what about the veracity of your source?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information