• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Srinath to play for Gauteng

V Reddy

International Debutant
Is this the end of Srinath's career b'coz at that time India will have NZ series or does he doesn't want to play on Indian Pitches?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=17&art_id=ct20030510011152201C6265718&set_id=6

Gauteng sign up Srinath the striker

May 10 2003 at 01:12AM

By Jermaine Craig

The Gauteng Cricket Board surprisingly announced on Friday that it had signed Indian fast bowler Javagal Srinath and brought all-rounder Derek Crookes back to the province.

The 33-year-old Srinath, a vastly experienced veteran of four World Cups, this week agreed to play for the Highveld Strikers in the upcoming season and arrives in Johannesburg in September.

The signing of the "Karnataka Express" is a coup for the embattled Strikers and will considerably bolster the province's bowling attack, adding considerable support to the likes of David Terbrugge, Garnett Kruger, Johnson Mafa and Enoch Nkwe.

One needs only to look at Srinath's career statistics to realise the calibre of player Gauteng have managed to entice to Corlett Drive.

'It sends out a message that Gauteng are serious about what they want to achieve '
He made his debut against Australia in 1991 and has played in 67 Tests, taking 236 wickets at an average of 30,49. His Test best bowling figures are 8/86 and he is also a useful batsman, with a top score of 76 in Tests.

Srinath may be reaching the tail end of an illustrious career, but he is bound to still be a handful for provincial batsman around the country.

Over the years, he has been a considerable thorn in the side of South Africa's international cricketers, playing 13 of his 67 Tests against them and taking an impressive 64 wickets at average of 24,48, with four five-wicket hauls against South Africa.

One of Srinath's most memorable Tests was against South Africa at Ahmedabad in 1996, his 6/21 helping to skittle South Africa for 105 in their second innings and winning the match for India.

Sachin Tendulkar described Srinath's bowling in that innings as "one of the greatest exhibitions of fast bowling I have seen from an Indian for a long time".

Srinath is also an accomplished one-day bowler, taking 315 wickets in 229 matches. He is still regarded as the fastest bowler India has produced.

He has battled in recent years with shoulder injuries and is no longer capable of whizzing deliveries in at close to 150 km/h, but as he showed at the recent World Cup he is still naggingly accurate, bowling an immaculate line and length which still snares its fair share of wickets.

Strikers coach, Shukri Conrad, who sealed the deal with Srinath, described him as simply "world-class".

"It sends out a message that Gauteng are serious about what they want to achieve this season. Aside from contributing on the field, Javagal will also act as bowling coach, for want of a better word," he said.

Under a different management structure, the 33-year-old Crookes left Gauteng kicking and screaming for Easterns three years ago, but he will add an enormous amount of experience and knowledge to the Strikers, who have also signed HD Ackerman from Western Province and Umar Abrahams from Eastern Province.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah a very surprising decision that by Gauteng, but I think he will enjoy the wanderers pitch.... I Wish him luck

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well if Srinath does miss the NZ series in October, NZ were definately be breathing a sigh of relief because he has been their nemesis for a long time.

masterblaster

International Captain
I think he will do quite well at Gauteng. Yeah, all the best to him. It gives India a solid chance of grooming Aavishkar Salvi or any other potential fast bowler we may have in the ranks.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When is the SA FC season? I assumed that he would be taking up Gautang contract after his County Cricket duties are fulfilled. Correct me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This (Durham v Worcs) is his last County game as Martin Love is going to be the 2nd Overseas Player (with Pretorius). Srinath is continuing as bowling coach I think.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
I might be mistaken...but I think I read a story on Cricinfo that said Srinath had now decided to retire from first-class cricket.