• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why the lack of respect for Freddie?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Addressing the topic, Flintoff's legacy will always be hindered by injury. He was picked too young and that has tarnished his overall statistics, but right before he got injured he was easily one of the best three seam bowlers in the world, if not the best. I fear that he will never be consistently fit again, and as such will never be able to establish himself as England's best ever. A very good, often excellent, seam bowler, but not done enough to be called great. Not really his fault though.
Flintoff?

Trueman?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

I did think it'd happen, but I was expecting it to take a bit longer than that, and certainly wasn't expecting Camps to be the guilty party.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guilty as charged. Didn't read anything on the first page. Just the posts on this page (addressing England's ranks) and the topic title. No excuses. :(

Dissector

International Debutant
TBH when I read the title I thought it was going to be about Flintoff as well. I have never thought of Trueman as being underrated. My general impression is that he is considered by many to be the best bowler of his era and the best fast bowler every produced by England. That doesn't sound underrated to me.

Top_Cat

Guilty as charged. Didn't read anything on the first page. Just the posts on this page (addressing England's ranks) and the topic title. No excuses. :(
Silly bugger, should have claimed you were joking. Farce, to be effective, needs to be done absolutely straight and your post, if you'd said it was a joke, would have been perfect!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Silly bugger, should have claimed you were joking. Farce, to be effective, needs to be done absolutely straight and your post, if you'd said it was a joke, would have been perfect!
Nah. Realized my error and then thought through all the possible excuses. I knew that Richard wouldn't fall for the "it was a joke" line, and the next best I could come up with was "I shouldn't be allowed to post after midnight". The problem with that line is that it was about 45 minutes short of midnight when I made the post. The closest thing to an excuse would be that I was reading a book 'The Classical Hollywood Cinema: Film Style and Mode of Production to 1960', so that could have conceivably warped my mind.

I opened the thread, skimmed through page 2 and spent a couple of minutes thinking, "I can't believe people are actually considering Flintoff in this light", but rather than rant about it (or read page 1), I decided to take a calmer approach.

That post is my Ross Taylor moment. An embarrassing pull shot.

Burgey

Fair play mate, I also saw the title and thought "not another Flintoff thread"!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No. You are not the only one. I took it for granted it was for Flintoff too. The reason is not difficult to see. The thread title is misleading in a much bigger way than that it does not mention the family name of the player.

The premise that Trueman is not shown enough respect is completely off target. In my forty years of watching the game, discussing it with former players as well as cricket writers, I have never got the feeling that they had anything but the greatest respect for this giant amongst bowlers. Flintoff, therefore, comes quickly to mind since the title fits him in more than just the first name.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, turns out I wasn't the only one to think this thread was about Flintoff.