1. Gavaskar
    2. Boycott
    3. Richards
    4. Tendulkar
    5. Lara
    6. S. Waugh
    7. Gilchrist
    8. Imran
    9. Warne/Ambrose (would bat lower if its Ambrose)
    10. Marshall
    11. McGrath

Picked a spinner against my will as I wanted a deep batting lineup. This lineup bats until #10, and bats pretty well. Has an excellent batting order and a fantastic bowling lineup.

Three or Four Australians and three or four West Indians out of eleven hints at the dominance of the two sides over the last thirty years. Two Indians, one Englishman and one Pakistani round out the eleven.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 29-05-2008 at 09:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I'm going to exclude players who played WSC or during WSC at all:
    Hayden
    Langer
    Lara
    Tendulkar
    Kallis
    Waugh, S*
    Gilchrist+
    Warne
    Wasim
    Ambrose
    McGrath

Not sure about Langer, but equally unsure/dubious about any of the alternatives (probably missing someone chronically obvious here though). Hayden, Lara, and Sachin (and Langer) means there will be plenty of strokes played early, with Kallis and Waugh as more solid types to anchor it somewhat, before Gilly comes in and lifts it again. I haven't gone for a full-blown allrounder, as I think four genuinely great bowlers are enough, and I'd want them all bowling plenty of overs - plus Jacques and Steve as batting allrounders can have a pretty useful trundle to give the top-liners a break as required. The bowling seems to me to be a good mix of dead-eyed aggressive unrelenting consistency with McGrath and Curtley, combined with two geniuses who can do anything in Wasim and Warne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Gavaskar - No brainer really. He got runs against the toughest attacks in a time period of great fast bowlers. A tough fighter who will compete with anyone.

Tendulkar - This was the tough one. I considered an established opener like Hayden, but frankly I don't rate him in the same class as the other batsmen in this side. Sachin could never open for India since I believe that the best batsmen should bat at 3 and 4. But he has shown his class in ODIs, and with his solid technique and tendency to play straight, this should be an okay transition.

Richards - Wisden top 5 cricketer of the century. Can devast any attack. The perfect number 3.

Lara - This was close. My second choice would be Ponting, and they are pretty interchangable. I still rate Lara higher because of his ability to play incredibly long innings.

*Steve Waugh - The best captain of the last 30 years. Gritty under-rated batsmen IMO. *

Imran - I pondered between a batsmen or all-rounder. With one spinner I think an all-rounder (Imran, Botham, Kapil) is essential. If Warne and Murali both play it is less necessary.

+Gilchrist - I don't rate him very highly with the gloves. I kind of like the Andy Flower selection, or maybe David Houghton or Ian Healy. I'm not too attached to this pick tbh. Who plays at 6 is a big factor. With 6 batsmen I would opt for better gloves.

Warne - Legspinners take wickets, and Warne was the best in this period. Also very handy with the bat at 8.

Akram - This was close between playing a genuine swing bowler or two spinners (Murali). I think the two spots (Akram and Murali) are interchangable, depending on conditions.

Marshall - The best of the West Indian quicks IMO. He was sweet.

McGrath - Best seam up bowler of the last 30 years. Deadly accurate, incredible competitor. Rarely lets batsmen get on top of him.

This is the most balanced side IMO. Akram for swing, Marshall for pace, and McGrath for containment, and Warne for the spin option. In Australia or West Indies I'd play 2 of the West Indian quicks (Holding, Ambrose would be my top 2 choices to replace McGrath or Wasim). Really gren English wicket or cement like West Indian wicket would be the only times I'd consider not playing Warne.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    1. Gavaskar
    2. Boycott
    3. Richards
    4. Tendulkar
    5. Lara
    6. S. Waugh
    7. Gilchrist
    8. Imran
    9. Warne/Ambrose (would bat lower if its Ambrose)
    10. Marshall
    11. McGrath

Picked a spinner against my will as I wanted a deep batting lineup. This lineup bats until #10, and bats pretty well. Has an excellent batting order and a fantastic bowling lineup.

Three or Four Australians and three or four West Indians out of eleven hints at the dominance of the two sides over the last thirty years. Two Indians, one Englishman and one Pakistani round out the eleven.
    I'm interested in the Boycott selection for post-WSC. Must say I've not looked closely at his record from 1979 onwards, though I'd thought his best days may have been behind him by then.
    Stand to be corrected, of course.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information