• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post WSC test cricket World XI

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Why is that? Half his career is played post WSC, and does roughly as well.
He was nothing like the same bowler after WSC, in England in 1981 he took a lot of wickets on fairly helpful surfaces bowling little more than fast-medium and was actually overshadowed by Terry Alderman.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
this can be a good side:-

1.S.Gavaskar
2.J.Langer
3.B.Lara
4.S.Tendulkar
5.S.Waugh
6.A.Gilchrist
7.K.Dev
8.S.Warne
9.A.Kumble
10.M.Muralitharan
11.G.Mcgrath
(12th man).R.Dravid

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
this can be a good side:-

1.S.Gavaskar
2.J.Langer
3.B.Lara
4.S.Tendulkar
5.S.Waugh
6.A.Gilchrist
7.K.Dev
8.S.Warne
9.A.Kumble
10.M.Muralitharan
11.G.Mcgrath
(12th man).R.Dravid
3 spinners would be too much anywhere except on rank turners in India. Replace Kumble with Wasim Akram and perhaps Langer with Hayden and that would be my team. Although I might be tempted to have Ponting over Steve Waugh..

Edit: And Imran instead of Kapil.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He was nothing like the same bowler after WSC, in England in 1981 he took a lot of wickets on fairly helpful surfaces bowling little more than fast-medium and was actually overshadowed by Terry Alderman.
Thats actually true if you take WSC to mean after it ended rather than after it started as I wrongly assumed.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
3 spinners would be too much anywhere except on rank turners in India. Replace Kumble with Wasim Akram and perhaps Langer with Hayden and that would be my team. Although I might be tempted to have Ponting over Steve Waugh..

Edit: And Imran instead of Kapil.
well u have almost changed the whole team..................:) :)

but i think waugh is much better than ponting

Post WSC Test XI:

Matthew Hayden
Sunil Gavaskar
Brian Lara
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Andy Flower (WK)
Imran Khan (C)
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Malcom Marshall
Muttiah Muralitharan

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Gavaskar
  2. Boycott
  3. Richards
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Lara
  6. S. Waugh
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Imran
  9. Warne/Ambrose (would bat lower if its Ambrose)
  10. Marshall
  11. McGrath

Picked a spinner against my will as I wanted a deep batting lineup. This lineup bats until #10, and bats pretty well. Has an excellent batting order and a fantastic bowling lineup.

Three or Four Australians and three or four West Indians out of eleven hints at the dominance of the two sides over the last thirty years. Two Indians, one Englishman and one Pakistani round out the eleven.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm going to exclude players who played WSC or during WSC at all:
Hayden
Langer
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Waugh, S*
Gilchrist+
Warne
Wasim
Ambrose
McGrath

Not sure about Langer, but equally unsure/dubious about any of the alternatives (probably missing someone chronically obvious here though). Hayden, Lara, and Sachin (and Langer) means there will be plenty of strokes played early, with Kallis and Waugh as more solid types to anchor it somewhat, before Gilly comes in and lifts it again. I haven't gone for a full-blown allrounder, as I think four genuinely great bowlers are enough, and I'd want them all bowling plenty of overs - plus Jacques and Steve as batting allrounders can have a pretty useful trundle to give the top-liners a break as required. The bowling seems to me to be a good mix of dead-eyed aggressive unrelenting consistency with McGrath and Curtley, combined with two geniuses who can do anything in Wasim and Warne.

Isura

U19 Captain
Gavaskar - No brainer really. He got runs against the toughest attacks in a time period of great fast bowlers. A tough fighter who will compete with anyone.

Tendulkar - This was the tough one. I considered an established opener like Hayden, but frankly I don't rate him in the same class as the other batsmen in this side. Sachin could never open for India since I believe that the best batsmen should bat at 3 and 4. But he has shown his class in ODIs, and with his solid technique and tendency to play straight, this should be an okay transition.

Richards - Wisden top 5 cricketer of the century. Can devast any attack. The perfect number 3.

Lara - This was close. My second choice would be Ponting, and they are pretty interchangable. I still rate Lara higher because of his ability to play incredibly long innings.

*Steve Waugh - The best captain of the last 30 years. Gritty under-rated batsmen IMO. *

Imran - I pondered between a batsmen or all-rounder. With one spinner I think an all-rounder (Imran, Botham, Kapil) is essential. If Warne and Murali both play it is less necessary.

+Gilchrist - I don't rate him very highly with the gloves. I kind of like the Andy Flower selection, or maybe David Houghton or Ian Healy. I'm not too attached to this pick tbh. Who plays at 6 is a big factor. With 6 batsmen I would opt for better gloves.

Warne - Legspinners take wickets, and Warne was the best in this period. Also very handy with the bat at 8.

Akram - This was close between playing a genuine swing bowler or two spinners (Murali). I think the two spots (Akram and Murali) are interchangable, depending on conditions.

Marshall - The best of the West Indian quicks IMO. He was sweet.

McGrath - Best seam up bowler of the last 30 years. Deadly accurate, incredible competitor. Rarely lets batsmen get on top of him.

This is the most balanced side IMO. Akram for swing, Marshall for pace, and McGrath for containment, and Warne for the spin option. In Australia or West Indies I'd play 2 of the West Indian quicks (Holding, Ambrose would be my top 2 choices to replace McGrath or Wasim). Really gren English wicket or cement like West Indian wicket would be the only times I'd consider not playing Warne.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
  1. Gavaskar
  2. Boycott
  3. Richards
  4. Tendulkar
  5. Lara
  6. S. Waugh
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Imran
  9. Warne/Ambrose (would bat lower if its Ambrose)
  10. Marshall
  11. McGrath

Picked a spinner against my will as I wanted a deep batting lineup. This lineup bats until #10, and bats pretty well. Has an excellent batting order and a fantastic bowling lineup.

Three or Four Australians and three or four West Indians out of eleven hints at the dominance of the two sides over the last thirty years. Two Indians, one Englishman and one Pakistani round out the eleven.
I'm interested in the Boycott selection for post-WSC. Must say I've not looked closely at his record from 1979 onwards, though I'd thought his best days may have been behind him by then.
Stand to be corrected, of course. :)