• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Domestic Re-vamp

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What's worse than 40-over cricket? Not much - except maybe two innings of 20-overs.

What a totally shocking idea. I've never considered firebombing more seriously. WTF is that supposed to achieve? 40-over stuff is near-useless - what'd basically be double-Twenty20 would be even more so. Just get rid of the damn thing FFS, and leave a less crowded calender.

Three-day cricket on covered pitches is a shocking idea - won't work. It might have to be trialled to show that, though. Oh, wait - it already has been!

Change would be good, but I have to say I hope pretty much everything in this "proposal" is simply vetoed by someone.

Radical change is pretty well never a good idea in cricket. Change has to be gradual and considered.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
FFS. All Domestic Cricket needs is this:

County Championship. 4 day matches. 2 divisions, 1 division, whatever
One Day League. 50-over matches. 2 divisions preferred
Knockout Cup. 50-over matches. Includes Minor Counties etc.
Twenty20. 20-overs, 1 innings. Format needs to be simple. If we got in Ireland and Scotland and had 4 groups of 5 - top 2 through - that'd be fine.

No need for all the BS.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Twenty20. 20-overs, 1 innings. Format needs to be simple. If we got in Ireland and Scotland and had 4 groups of 5 - top 2 through - that'd be fine.

No need for all the BS.
Yes

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

No need for all the BS.
Seems reasonable... I'd ditch the knockout cup completely, though, no need for two 50 over competitions.

With the T20 they need to put the quarters/semis/final directly after the rest of the matches. The schedule this season is utterly ridiculous.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A knockout competition gives players the chance of a Lord's final, which is a good thing, as is getting this minor counties involved again, as well as Ireland, Scotland, Holland etc

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A knockout cup is a maximum of five extra matches... and, critically from my PoV, a huge draw and payday for the Minor Counties. Unfortunately we don't seem to figure on the ECB's priority list right now...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
A knockout competition gives players the chance of a Lord's final, which is a good thing, as is getting this minor counties involved again, as well as Ireland, Scotland, Holland etc
Yeah, I get the point with the minor counties. You could have a Lord's final by just having a play-off for the title like they do in the Aussie one-day competition.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I get the point with the minor counties. You could have a Lord's final by just having a play-off for the title like they do in the Aussie one-day competition.
Yeah you could but I hate leagues being decided by play-offs, that's just me though

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The knockout Cup, and Lord's final, was one of the few decent things left in the domestic game, until the ECB decided to abolish it to form this 40-over crap.

It'd be brilliant to see it restored.

I've long been in favour of a combined league for First-Class and 50-over games (in addition to the knockout Cup) with Twenty20 fitted in in however much it's neccessary\possible.

If this nonsense detailed in that CricInfo piece starts looking remotely likely to come to pass, the UK contingent of CW needs to lobby the ECB in some way. I'm deadly serious.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Making domestic cricket more attractive should have been a top priority following the Ashes victory. Instead they just bundled things around. Making it so people can see the big names playing for the counties more often would be a start, obviously less fixtures would achieve this, and if you had a knockout cup you could make sure that each round didn't clash with internationals, possibly anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the current international calender, international players playing domestic cricket is never going to happen all that much.

If this EPL idea comes to pass, I truly do hope that international Twenty20 goes ASAP. It's completely pointless. That, plus 10 ODIs only and 7 Test-matches only, and international tours that finished by the start of March (that's a bit idealistic, and depends more on the rest of the SH season than anything in The ECB's power) would leave a few small windows, and I reckon that's the best we can hope for.

Swervy

International Captain
I am just wondering where the 21 team mularky comes from...why 21?

Personally, I do not have a problem with an extended, franchise based Twenty20 comp, although I havent really thought about it....so forgive me if there are severe holes in that.

And I can see possibly the benefits of splitting the county champ into 3 divsions, based on georgraphy, winner of each and best runner up in semi final/final knock out at the end. I think with this you could have say:

Lancs, Yorks,Derby, Durham, Notts, and Leicester
Warks, Northants, Glouc, Worcs, Somerset, and Glamorgan
Hants, Sussex,Surrey, Essex,Middlesex and Kent

Each team plays each division opponent home and away, and an additional two games from other divsions, something like if you won the North, you play the winner of the Midlands and the last placed team in the South, something like that anyway, making 12 4 day games a season

For me, 7 tests in a summer is too much, 6 max. And if there is a triangular tourny for ODIs, just make it 4 games each team.

Swervy

International Captain
I propose a 3 year long Twenty20 comp (sponsored by Bonjela, for all your oral hygeine needs), 20 overs an innings, split into 2 over long mini innings, played between Australia, Derbyshire, Hong Kong and Keighley CC 4th team. Allow space between each ball for an advert , and if a wide is bowled, somewhere a kitten is killed.

Should keep everyone hooked.