• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest wicket keeper ever?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think you might be getting a little confused here, Richard.

Spofforth refused to play in the first ever Test because Blackham had been selected to keep wicket in preference to Murdoch.

However, I do agree that the "Prince of Wicket-keepers" should be recognised as amongst the very greatest keepers ever as he revolutionised the art of wicketkeeping like no other. For instance, in one of his trips to England, a group of clergymen complained that he was a danger to the wellbeing of cricket, encouraging as he did the abolition of long-stop, the clergy's traditional fielding spot in village teams!
Fabulous. Hadn't heard that before. Thanks.

sideshowtim

Banned
Darren Berry was comfortably the best I've ever seen. Stood up to the medium to medium-fast men with remarkable success and I believe Shane Warne (yes, I acknowledge that he's a bit of a Bill Lawry when it comes to Victorians) rates him as easily the best keeper he has had collect his deliveries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, but Shane Warne rates Merv Hughes as the 6th-best cricketer of his time or something.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Interesting to say the least.
Murdoch was arguably the best batman in Australia at the time, but had strangely not been selected for the side, even as a batsman. Spofforth and Murdoch were close friends, and, in all probability, the protest reflected an expression of loyalty to a friend, rather than any opinion as to the superiority of Murdoch's wicket keeping. The fact that Spofforth played in the second match, where Murdoch was selected as a batsman but Blackham retained as the keeper, only adds weight to this view. Spofforth was always prepared to stand up for what he believed in and stick his neck out for a principle without heed for the consequences.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murdoch was arguably the best batman in Australia at the time, but had strangely not been selected for the side, even as a batsman. Spofforth and Murdoch were close friends, and, in all probability, the protest reflected an expression of loyalty to a friend, rather than any opinion as to the superiority of Murdoch's wicket keeping. The fact that Spofforth played in the second match, where Murdoch was selected as a batsman but Blackham retained as the keeper, only adds weight to this view. Spofforth was always prepared to stand up for what he believed in and stick his neck out for a principle without heed for the consequences.
Oh, yes, I'm not surprised at any of that (no-one could possibly have thought Murdoch superior with the gloves to Blackham for instance). I was interested to find-out how I've got the story mixed-up.

Will have to see if I can have a look.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haddin 'keeping very well atm. Loving his glovework.
Never used to be a fan of Haddin's glove work, however what I have seen recently in his international performances I've been very impressed with. His footwork reminds me a lot of Healy's, think he'll grow as a keeper too, as he gets more exposure to international cricket.

archie mac

International Coach
Oh, yes, I'm not surprised at any of that (no-one could possibly have thought Murdoch superior with the gloves to Blackham for instance). I was interested to find-out how I've got the story mixed-up.

Will have to see if I can have a look.
You can understand it, as there were so few FC games played in Aust. in those times, with NSW playing Vic. at the most two times a year, Spoff might only have watched Blackham from the stands on a couple of occassions before the first of all Tests.

It should be said that after he played with him in the 2nd Test, he was forever converted.

Murdoch must have been a good keeper, as in one Test he was the keeper while Blackham played as a batsman, I have never read that Blackham was injuried, but am happy to be corrected:)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Knott and Healy of those I've seen, with Russell not far behind.

Might say something about my bias that each of the 2 keepers I nominated did some great work up to the stumps - Knott to Underwood, Healy to Warne.