• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest wicket keeper ever?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You would really consider Stewart and Gilchrist not to be excellent wicketkeepers?

I'd never rank them from the very top drawer, but both of them were damn good IMO. They rarely fumbled a thing, be it something they had to put in a big dive to (a ball that had been deflected), a ball that went straight through with no or negligable deviation, a throw from the outfield which came in perfectly or a throw from the outfield which was of poor quality.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You would really consider Stewart and Gilchrist not to be excellent wicketkeepers?

I'd never rank them from the very top drawer, but both of them were damn good IMO..
No. They were both weak standing up. And the technique and footwork (which really separates the great keepers from the good ones) was poor.

You have to just see Healy and Gilchrist keeping side by side to realise the difference.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm certainly very surprised you'd describe them as weak standing-up. Less good than they were standing back? Sure. But I never saw either of them make many errors in either position.

Similarly, poor footwork? Again, I can't agree. Less good than a Healy or a Russell? Sure. But I'd say it's a case of good instead of excellent, rather than poor instead of excellent. I saw Stewart make many acrobatic takes standing back, something which would not have been possible had his footwork been downright poor (as is, for example, Matthew Prior's).

(And as an aside, Stewart's hands by the end of his career were probably better than Russell's - he dropped less once he got his gloves on the ball)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

I'd never rank them from the very top drawer, but both of them were damn good IMO. They rarely fumbled a thing, be it something they had to put in a big dive to (a ball that had been deflected), a ball that went straight through with no or negligable deviation, a throw from the outfield which came in perfectly or a throw from the outfield which was of poor quality.

The other day the very average Alec Stewart was as good as Alan Knott, now he's not ranked top drawer. Unless you're saying Alan Knott isn't top drawer either. Though I do think Gilchrist is a better keeper than SJS (meaning of course I rate Gilchrist higher than SJS does - I wouldn't dare to suggest that Gilchrist is a better keeper than SJS.)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The other day the very average Alec Stewart was as good as Alan Knott, now he's not ranked top drawer. Unless you're saying Alan Knott isn't top drawer either. Though I do think Gilchrist is a better keeper than SJS (meaning of course I rate Gilchrist higher than SJS does - I wouldn't dare to suggest that Gilchrist is a better keeper than SJS.)
:laugh:

I would have felt very insulted if you had ::@

I wish you would put in a word with the CW Red's skipper though :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I'm certainly very surprised you'd describe them as weak standing-up. Less good than they were standing back? Sure. But I never saw either of them make many errors in either position.

Similarly, poor footwork? Again, I can't agree. Less good than a Healy or a Russell? Sure. But I'd say it's a case of good instead of excellent, rather than poor instead of excellent. I saw Stewart make many acrobatic takes standing back, something which would not have been possible had his footwork been downright poor (as is, for example, Matthew Prior's).

(And as an aside, Stewart's hands by the end of his career were probably better than Russell's - he dropped less once he got his gloves on the ball)
I never said they are poor keepers. But then these are all very relative Richard. The debate has been ongoing for at least eighty years now, we cant settle it I suppose :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They don't have to be playing for knowledge of them (or, rather, one of them) to be enhanced.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
They don't have to be playing for knowledge of them (or, rather, one of them) to be enhanced.
So you admit your assessment was wrong. Hopefully there'll soon be a nice big catalogue of similar admissions of similarly flawed judgement of other players.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Judgements are wrong and wrong judgements are amended and updated every day by every person on any infinite number of matters. Really isn't a big deal.