• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon McCullum - over-rated?

Is Brendon McCullum one of the most over-rated cricketers?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Well is he? Especially in Test cricket only where he has only two centuries and both were against non Test standard teams so they don't count (:happy: ;) ) or is he just trying to be a poor man's Adam, Gilchrist? Vote away and no irrelevent option as I want to know what you think.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very good bat and keeper - IMO, best keeper/bat in the world at present and should improve further

No point in him trying to live up to Gilchrist or in us comparing him to the latter - Gilly was a freak, so comparisons are unfair

Athlai

Not Terrible
He's got a lot better with the bat since he scored those centuries and we just haven't played enough matches for him to show this really. In ODI's I think his recent form certainly shows his prowess in the shortest form of the game, being even more destructive than Gilchrist (the comparison I always find strange as McCullum scores even more aggressively).

In Tests he is a solid keeper and a handy batsman but he's no Gilchrist (or Sanga's).

Don't think anyone overrates him, he's a genuine danger man.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
yes. I still think hes a good player, but the way some commentators and people go on about him you would've thought he was as Gilchrist.

Craig

World Traveller
He's got a lot better with the bat since he scored those centuries and we just haven't played enough matches for him to show this really. In ODI's I think his recent form certainly shows his prowess in the shortest form of the game, being even more destructive than Gilchrist (the comparison I always find strange as McCullum scores even more aggressively).

In Tests he is a solid keeper and a handy batsman but he's no Gilchrist (or Sanga's).

Don't think anyone overrates him, he's a genuine danger man.
Yeah but some of his shot selection leads me to believe at times that IQ is not the strong point of the McCullum family.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hear his fitness regimen used to build up his arm muscles was almost 24 hour use of the One Armed Bandits down the local public house!

Anyway, I remain to be convinced that Brendon McCullum isn't just in a rich vein of form. I find that a bit easier to believe. At the moment though, he's in decent nick, and his keeping in this latest test has been pretty exemplary.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah but some of his shot selection leads me to believe at times that IQ is not the strong point of the McCullum family.
Those same shots come off sometimes and he destroys the attack. Reckon its worth it all in all.

He does have that second gear though, where he plays the responsible innings if the circumstances dictate. but now that he plays at five and opens he just goes for it non stop.

Craig

World Traveller
Those same shots come off sometimes and he destroys the attack. Reckon its worth it all in all.

He does have that second gear though, where he plays the responsible innings if the circumstances dictate. but now that he plays at five and opens he just goes for it non stop.
What sort of % of that coming off though?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Just yesterday during a break in the Test, you had Atherton referring to McCullum as being of the same class as an Adam Gilchrist or Sachin Tendulkar (these were the exact names Atherton used). Very over-rated imo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Just yesterday during a break in the Test, you had Atherton referring to McCullum as being of the same class as an Adam Gilchrist or Sachin Tendulkar (these were the exact names Atherton used). Very over-rated imo.
Was he comparing McCullum with Sachin on the basis of keeping abilities? :cool:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Very quickly becoming over-rated for me, for a long time there I think people quite underestimated his value, in part because he always seemed to be so far down the New Zealand order I think. However with a couple of these innings lately it seems nobody can shut up about him, a very handy and potentially dangerous player, but dont mention him in the same sentence as Tendulkar or Gilchrist.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's extremely over-rated as a Test batsman. People talk about how much he's improved recently, but he's done nothing in Test cricket since that supposedly happened, really.

He's a good keeper and a good keeper/batsman ITBT, but he's vastly over-rated as a batsman in Test cricket at this stage.

Craig

World Traveller
He's extremely over-rated as a Test batsman. People talk about how much he's improved recently, but he's done nothing in Test cricket since that supposedly happened, really.

He's a good keeper and a good keeper/batsman ITBT, but he's vastly over-rated as a batsman in Test cricket at this stage.
So not over-rated in ODI and T20 cricket then?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
26 years old and enormously improved from when he started out. A good 'keeper and very decent batsman. Not over-rated by anyone except, evidently, Atherton.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So not over-rated in ODI and T20 cricket then?
Well, he's certainly shown vast improvement lately in ODI cricket as a batsman. Whether that will last or not is yet to be seen - I reckon it will, to some extent at least, but I'd still say he was marginally over-rated in that format.

No comment on his Twenty20 exploits. I don't really care. I've come to a point where I can enjoy watching a Twenty20 match for what it is, but I don't think a player's ability in that format is particularly worthy of analysis and discussion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Polls help, Craigos.
Not jumping in the second after the opening post of a thread asking for a poll helps, Timothy. :p Have you ever posted one? Sometimes they take 3 or 4 minutes to type-out.

Anyway, a tricky one this. I don't think McCullum's wicketkeeping is overrated at all, I think he's actually quite outstanding there. As a Test batsman he's horribly overrated by a great many people and as a ODI batsman he's horribly overrated by a great many people, though he does appear to be on the improve. And while he unquestionably has fair potential, that's it.

I don't really care how good he is at Twenty20, obviously, so I won't be commenting on whether he's overrated there or not.

Hence I can't really pick any of the poll options, but I hope this post explains my position.

Craig

World Traveller
Not jumping in the second after the opening post of a thread asking for a poll helps, Timothy. :p Have you ever posted one? Sometimes they take 3 or 4 minutes to type-out.

Anyway, a tricky one this. I don't think McCullum's wicketkeeping is overrated at all, I think he's actually quite outstanding there. As a Test batsman he's horribly overrated by a great many people and as a ODI batsman he's horribly overrated by a great many people, though he does appear to be on the improve. And while he unquestionably has fair potential, that's it.

I don't really care how good he is at Twenty20, obviously, so I won't be commenting on whether he's overrated there or not.

Hence I can't really pick any of the poll options, but I hope this post explains my position.
In other words you wanted the irrelevant 5th option :p