Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Confession?

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar

A Confession?

"We too are glad to be doctors, one up and coming, the other here and going. We have had our doubts: one of us seriously considered a career on the stage, the other as a historian [...]. These remain our hobbies, unlike the famous cricketer, WG Grace, who took 10 years to qualify as a doctor, saying: 'Medicine is my hobby, cricket is my profession.'" -- Richards, Peter; Stockill, Simon: Learning Medicine, p. 132
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    We always knew, did we not, that WG was devoted to cricket before anything else?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    I think he is referring to the fact that Grace was officially an amateur, and yet profited handsomely from the game.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 26-05-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Eggs Champion!
    The extent of Dr Grace's shamateurism knew no bounds. I wonder how many people are aware of his terms for the 1891-92 Ashes tour? The tour was sponsored by Lord Sheffield, one of the world's richest men, who was determined to bring Grace over to ensure the box office success of his team.

Lord Sheffield wrote to Arthur Shrewsbury, inviting him to join the team and seeking his advice on the outlook of the tour. Shrewsbury believed that as Grace had not been to Australia for 18 years a new generation of cricketers would be eager to see him, so his presence alone would likely improve the takings of the tour by between 1500 and 2000.

Lord Sheffield immediately wrote to Grace, who, after a meeting at Sheffield Park in March 1891, agreed to make his second tour of Australia for a fee of 3000, plus all expenses for himself, his wife and two children, and the cost of employing a locum to run his medical practice while he was away. The total cost to Lord Sheffield for Grace alone was around 5000.

By means of comparison, the leading professionals on the tour, such as George Lohmann and Bobby Abel, all accepted 300. Even this was pretty good going when one considers that in 1901 only 400,000 in an English population of 33 million declared an annual income of over 400.
    Last edited by a massive zebra; 26-05-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Banned
    meh Curtley Ambrose liked Basketball but played Cricket to get money.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by bond21 View Post
    meh Curtley Ambrose liked Basketball but played Cricket to get money.
    Yeah, if ever there was a sport full of paupers, it's basketball...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well, I think he was just much better at cricket. I did hear the same thing from Curtly in an interview - he said his first loves are music and basketball, and he played cricket mainly to pay the bills, and retired as soon as his body started giving out. He said he rarely watches cricket these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    The point, though, is that the correlation between playing basketball and practicing medicine is roughly zero.

I had a fairly humoruous reply all set in my head but kept reading the rest of the thread and now I've forgotten it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I had a fairly humoruous reply all set in my head but kept reading the rest of the thread and now I've forgotten it.
    this is funny enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    skull nomination...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We always knew, did we not, that WG was devoted to cricket before anything else?
    Yes, but it was not his "profession".

Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra View Post
    The extent of Dr Grace's shamateurism knew no bounds. I wonder how many people are aware of his terms for the 1891-92 Ashes tour? The tour was sponsored by Lord Sheffield, one of the world's richest men, who was determined to bring Grace over to ensure the box office success of his team.

Lord Sheffield wrote to Arthur Shrewsbury, inviting him to join the team and seeking his advice on the outlook of the tour. Shrewsbury believed that as Grace had not been to Australia for 18 years a new generation of cricketers would be eager to see him, so his presence alone would likely improve the takings of the tour by between 1500 and 2000.

Lord Sheffield immediately wrote to Grace, who, after a meeting at Sheffield Park in March 1891, agreed to make his second tour of Australia for a fee of 3000, plus all expenses for himself, his wife and two children, and the cost of employing a locum to run his medical practice while he was away. The total cost to Lord Sheffield for Grace alone was around 5000.

By means of comparison, the leading professionals on the tour, such as George Lohmann and Bobby Abel, all accepted 300. Even this was pretty good going when one considers that in 1901 only 400,000 in an English population of 33 million declared an annual income of over 400.
    And if that wasn't enough, following Grace's one hundredth century in 1895, three seperate national collections were raised for his benefit, collected by the MCC, Gloucestershire CCC, and two national newspapers, in total amounting to about 10,000!

Banned
    Yea, Ambrose beat Jordan in the draft for the Bulls but decided there wasnt enough money in the NBA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information