Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darryl hair - Overrated decision maker

Banned

Darryl hair - Overrated decision maker

Because I think people tend to remember a batsman being wrongly given out more than when he's incorrectly given n/o Hair's got this reputation as "one of the best decision makers"

He isn't. He's constantly giving batsman not out who are plum. I think back to Kaneria being robbed of the hattrick against England out there. Very similar looking to todays shocker with Ambrose. And KP's yesterday too, both middle stump half way uppers, no excuse.

I'll be interested to see how consistent he is in this NZ second innings. He seems to have quite like ENgland all in all.

- Alex.
    Last edited by Top 6 on paper; 25-05-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top 6 on paper View Post
    Because I think people tend to remember a batsman being wrongly given out more than when he's incorrectly given n/o Hair's got this reputation as "one of the best decision makers"

He isn't. He's constantly giving batsman not out who are plum. I think back to Kaneria being robbed of the hattrick against England out there. Very similar looking to todays shocker with Ambrose. And KP's yesterday too, both middle stump half way uppers, no excuse.

I'll be interested to see how consistent he is in this NZ second innings. He seems to have quite like ENgland all in all.
    While obviously bad n\o decisions are far longer remember than bad out decisions, Umpires who constantly fail to give blatant out decisions out will be villainised plenty. And this has happened. Sri Lanka had this problem accross most of their Umpires at one time, apparently.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Wasn't there some statistics released by the ICC Umpires that said that Hair was the 2nd best decision maker, a month or two before he got the sack?

Yes, but these things take into account an "appeal" as a "owizat?" from the wicketkeeper or a "aaaaooowww" from the bowler with a minimum support from the solitary slip.

Not that Hair isn't an excellent decision-maker, but these things are not as reliable as they may seem. I$C$C are hardly going to make their own Umpires - those they've picked - look bad, are they?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Wasn't there some statistics released by the ICC Umpires that said that Hair was the 2nd best decision maker, a month or two before he got the sack?
    He may well be. But It would be more accurate to call him the second least bad, really.

- Alex.
    Last edited by Top 6 on paper; 25-05-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Hmm...I wonder who was first.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    I tend to think that in supporting Hair because of perceived poor treatment people sometimes fall back on the "he's a great decision maker" line to defend him when he's neither great nor terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yes, but these things take into account an "appeal" as a "owizat?" from the wicketkeeper or a "aaaaooowww" from the bowler with a minimum support from the solitary slip.

Not that Hair isn't an excellent decision-maker, but these things are not as reliable as they may seem. I$C$C are hardly going to make their own Umpires - those they've picked - look bad, are they?
    No, but he was still the second by their ratings.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Hmm...I wonder who was first.
    Would imagine it was Simon Taufel.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    No, but he was still the second by their ratings.
    Being second in said ratings, given their relative unreliability, isn't really that big a deal, though, is the point I was making. It's like Harmison being ranked #1 bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by Top 6 on paper View Post
    He may well be. But It would be more accurate to call him the second least bad, really.
    That's a separate issue, though. If humans (all humans, including the very best Umpires) are incapable of getting enough decisions right with only their own eyes and ears, that simply says that something else needs to be added to the repetoire to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Would imagine it was Simon Taufel.
    Apologies, twas sarcasm on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    I tend to think that in supporting Hair because of perceived poor treatment people sometimes fall back on the "he's a great decision maker" line to defend him when he's neither great nor terrible.
    Exactly.

Exactly.

As I understand it, correctly calling an obvious leg-bye, counts in these statistics as a correct decision.

Banned
    Darryl is a good umpire, you want to see a bad umpire? That guy doing the IPL who reversed 4 decisions and called a wide when the ball hit the batsman's thigh pad and deviated to leg gully. Thats bad umpiring, hell I could do better than that.

The difference is if Hair was umpiring a sub continent match, he would be suspended again for not giving How out.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information