• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darryl hair - Overrated decision maker

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its you who has come here with an agenda to be honest.

Its a shame cos I really rate your username.

MrHat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I came to discuss matters of cricket. Politics is part of cricket, it is just that mine is different from the prevailing orthodoxy here.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What politics is that though? There are other Darrel Hair supporters on this board.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hey, I have nothing against Darrel Hair, don't get me wrong, I think he is an excellent umpire, but there is no denying (in my opinion) that he had a clear agenda against the sub-continental teams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I came to discuss matters of cricket. Politics is part of cricket, it is just that mine is different from the prevailing orthodoxy here.
Different from the prevailing orthodoxy is fine, but defending people who are long-established as bigoted, clueless (and many things besides) idiots is not a good way to start. Read up on a few of bond21's posts.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey, I have nothing against Darrel Hair, don't get me wrong, I think he is an excellent umpire, but there is no denying (in my opinion) that he had a clear agenda against the sub-continental teams.
That is nonsense

He thought Murali chucked (like tens of thousands of others) and called him

He was subsequently proven correct

Pakistan contravened the rules and a forfeit was awarded

Once again, completely in accordance with the rules

Hair's problem lies in his man-management

The racism claim is nothing more than a smoke-screen

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Hair is particularly a racist. I do, however, think he has given Pakistan and Sri Lanka legitimate reason to believe he has an agenda against them, and I don't blame them for wanting him not to stand in Tests involving them, and nor do I want such a thing.

MrHat

Different from the prevailing orthodoxy is fine, but defending people who are long-established as bigoted, clueless (and many things besides) idiots is not a good way to start. Read up on a few of bond21's posts.
What he was saying may have been OTT but the fact is his underlying point was correct, there is alot of territory in this debate that hasn't been uncovered. We don't know what will happen when Hair has to umpire a subcontinent team. Can you sack, pick and choose your umpires just by kicking up a stink?.This debate should not be stifled by bring out the ol racist chestnut.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What he was saying may have been OTT but the fact is his underlying point was correct, there is alot of territory in this debate that hasn't been uncovered. We don't know what will happen when Hair has to umpire a subcontinent team.
Without getting into whether I think Hair is a racist or not, we already know what has happened when he umpires a subcontinent team.

Can you sack, pick and choose your umpires just by kicking up a stink?.This debate should not be stifled by bring out the ol racist chestnut.
Considering all the official complaints don't work and you keep getting shafted - sure, you should do that.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
That is nonsense

Pakistan contravened the rules and a forfeit was awarded

Once again, completely in accordance with the rules

Hair's problem lies in his man-management

The racism claim is nothing more than a smoke-screen
I haven't once said that Hair is racist. I agree with Richard, mainly, I think he has done things to sub-continent teams that he wouldn't have done to teams from outside the sub-continent.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
From wiki:

Throughout his umpiring career, Hair has been a controversial figure. The majority of the prominent incidents have involved Asian nations, leading to accusations of bias. Rameez Raja claimed that subcontinental players universally feel that he is biased even to the extent of being racist. [2] South Africa have also in the past levelled accusations of bias in matches. Other former cricketers such as Arjuna Ranatunga have complained about bias,[3] and have been joined by Imran Khan and Kapil Dev in criticising Hair's manner as heavy handed.[4][5] Despite this he has been supported by fellow elite umpire Simon Taufel. [6]

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

We show how biomechanics can be used to accurately assess spin-bowling techniques (offspin, legspin and topspin) in cricket, under controlled conditions, when the player is suspected of throwing. A 50 Hz six-camera Vicon Motion Analysis system was used to record the movements of markers strategically placed on the upper limb during each of the above bowling actions. A kinematic model of the upper limb, created using Vicon BodyBuilder software, enabled the movements of the upper arm and forearm to be described during each delivery. Selected physical characteristics of the upper limb were also measured. The present 'no ball' law in cricket with reference to throwing states that 'the arm should not be straightened in the part of the delivery that immediately precedes ball release'. The bowler, Mutiah Muralitharan, was shown to maintain a relatively constant elbow angle in the 0.06 s before ball release. Furthermore, this angle changed little from the time that the upper arm was angled vertically downward until ball release during the three spin-bowling actions.
Source:

Lloyd DG, Alderson J, Elliott BC. An upper limb kinematic model for the examination of cricket bowling: a case study of Mutiah Muralitharan. Department of Human Movement and Exercise Science, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia. dlloyd@cyllene.uwa.edu.au

Unless you are going to dispute this, I would kindly ask you to stop spreading misinformation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cricket bowling is traditionally thought to be a rigid-arm motion, allowing no elbow straightening during the delivery phase. Conversely, research has shown that a perfectly rigid arm through delivery is practically unattainable, which has led to rule changes over the past years. The current rule requires a bowler not to increase the elbow angle by more than 15 degrees, thus requiring a measurement to confirm legality in "suspect" bowlers. The aims of this study were to evaluate whether the current rule is maintained over a range of bowlers and bowling styles, and to ascertain whether other kinematics measures may better differentiate between legal and suspect bowling actions. Eighty-three bowlers of varying pace were analysed using reflective markers and a high-speed (240 Hz) eight-camera motion analysis system in a laboratory. The change in elbow segment angle (minimum angle between the arm and forearm), the change in elbow extension angle with respect to the flexion-extension axis of a joint coordinate system, and the elbow extension angular velocity at ball release were measured. We found that bowlers generally bowled within a change in elbow extension angle of 15.5 degrees. However, this limit was unable to differentiate groups of bowlers from those who were suspected of throwing in the past. Improved differentiation was attained using the elbow extension angular velocity at ball release. The elbow extension angular velocity at ball release may be conceptually more valid than the elbow extension angle in determining which bowlers use the velocity-contributing mechanisms of a throw. Also, a high value of elbow extension angular velocity at ball release may be related to the visual impression of throwing. Therefore, it is recommended that researchers and cricket legislators examine the feasibility of specifying a limit to the elbow extension angular velocity at ball release to determine bowling
legality.
Source:

Ferdinands RE, Kersting UG. An evaluation of biomechanical measures of bowling action legality in cricket. School of Exercise and Sport Science, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia.

MrHat

Without getting into whether I think Hair is a racist or not, we already know what has happened when he umpires a subcontinent team.

Considering all the official complaints don't work and you keep getting shafted - sure, you should do that.
Ok why don't you tell us what will happen. Alot of people seem happy he has returned to cricket, including the England captain. Hair is hardly a fanatic, he is just very officious. Why should Hair treat subcontinentals with kid gloves, thats asking for double standards.