• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Life after Richie Benaud announces retirement

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I take it the title is to get our attention, coz I haven't heard anything. Is it official?

Anyway, it'll be Nicholas, who mostly does it now anyway, with Taylor probably getting a biger share of things, though personally I'd like to see Slats step up.

Gilly to come on board as commentator, with his ears to act as solar panel back up in the event of a black out.

cameeel

International Captain
No idea who'll take over, but at least it will mean that the quality of Channel 9's commentary will immediately increase. Presumably Mark Nicholas will do it if they can get him, or Mark Taylor otherwise.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Mark Nicholas takes over then I swear, its time to go postal. I'd rather hear the continued flatulent, rabid ramblings of Ian Healy than Mark Nicholas

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd hate to be whoever has the job of cleaning the commentary boxes Mark Nicholas frequents.

"Oh my!..OH!...Oh yes!"

Days of Grace

International Captain
Decididly camp tissues there. Perfect for Nicholas.

However, Nicholas is easier to listen to than Healy any day.

You watch: Healy will forget himself one day, during a tense, close finish and let out a roaring appeal into the mike when Brett Lee hits some batsman's pads in front of off stump.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lay off Healy, hes a nice guy.

Who here besides me has actually met him and talked to him?
I quite like Healy as a person, and yes I have met him - I've not had a long conversation with him like you must have had in order to tell everyone to 'lay off him'. However, a good person to have a conversation with does not necessarily make a good commentator. Sure, I'd love to have a good ole chat with Lennie from John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, but that doesn't mean I'd like him to pick up the microphone and tell us how he'd love to stroke and pet Michael Clarke, does it.

Frankly, I think people are able to judge someone's ability as a commentator based on having heard them commentate, which doesn't necessarily mean they have to have met them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, come on Richard.

I understand disagreeing, but 'not fathoming' it?

I love Ian Chappell's commentary, but I can understand why some would dislike him.

Both are unique, full of themselves, and are try-hards, so they will rub people the wrong way.

Chappell doesn't try and make Lee bowling a ball outside off stump and left alone by the #8 batsman seem like the pinnacle of test cricket though.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
See, my experience of him honestly isn't that. Maybe he's done a bit more of it since becoming part of the Nine team. But he was never like that over here on C4.

bond21

Banned
Nicholas is Rabs and the rest of the team is Gus Gould or Peter Sterling.

Nicholas tells us all the useless information but makes it sound kinda exciting(THORPE! HACKETT! HACKETT! THORPE! THERES NOTHING IN IT!!)

And the rest of the team put in their 2 cents like Gus Gould(I think Chappell is closest to Gus Gould)

Then Nicholas goes and takes a break to do his hair and makeup and you get someone like Healy doing the play by play which sometimes doesnt go so well, hell lets get Ray Warren in the commentary box.