• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone been taken out of the attack for 3 no balls?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Silverwood opened the batting?
Yeah, a semi-useful pinch-hitter he could sometimes be.

Ashley Cowan used to get pushed-up the order for Essex too of times, and Neil Carter still does similar for Warwickshire very often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What did Symonds do in that game, besides make runs, to deserve having beamers bowled at him?
Turned from crap to very, very good. I more than understand the frustration of Pakistan's bowlers. It doesn't mean Waqar should or would have deliberately bowled Beamers at him - they were attempted Yorkers that went wrong. But anyone who felt "how the hell does he have a right to play like that having never looked remotely capable of doing even half of what he's done today?" would hardly be unique. I'd certainly not be rushing to apologise to a batsman who'd done that to me and my team before the innings was even over.

Later, maybe, yes.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
As if. Tardy realisation that you're solely in the wrong is the worst excuse for not apologising I've ever heard. Sorry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You do not apologise to someone who has greatly angered you in the very recent past (or, indeed, present), even if you have committed wrong against them.

I'm sorry, you'd have to be the most decent idiot in The World to do that. It simply defies human nature.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
You do when an acceptable means of bringing someone to anger (by tonking them) is met with unacceptable retaliation in being beamed.

Along the same (albeit more extreme) lines, it's the equivalent of having a business rival knocked off. It's a detestable outlet for your anger to attempt physical harm after being out-performed by dint of scrupulous good performance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not even remotely close. Knocking a business rival off (or, more ideally, not) requires rational long-term thought on the matter. Business rivalries take years to develop.

I am talking about irrational spur-of-the-moment things, which the game of cricket encourages readily.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The principle is the same. Mugging someone you've lost a bet to or hitting your little brother after he beats you at Monopoly are equally applicable - your physical outburst as a reaction to the transpired events has no place in the civilized world, and you as a rational entity are expected to control yourself. Especially in a high-stakes, multi-million dollar sport. It's accepted that the social forces operating around you should play a part in mastering your destiny.

It goes without saying that as Pakistan's skipper in that ODI, Waqar failed in that department to a shocking degree.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The situations you describe would be more similar to Waqar deliberately bowling said Beamers, which he didn't do and which would indeed have been totally deplorable had he done so.

Yet again, none remotely analogous to being unable to apologise due to your anger at the situation in question.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I see your point now, but if sheer emotion precludes an apology from an international captain, then they're a terrible captain. Sorry.

bond21

Banned
Waqar lost his head and on went a Pumpkin as Gus Gould would say.

I dont know how anyone can see a way that Waqar was in the right there, unless youre clearly irrational and tunnel visioned like Richard...

Its the equivelant of Buffon going up to Grosso after the world cup final and punching him in the head because he scored a penalty....same thing.

bond21

Banned
Waqar might not have apologised, but that doesnt change the fact that hes a giant douche for not apologising for bowling a cricket ball at another human being's head on multiple occasions because he was losing a cricket match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I see your point now, but if sheer emotion precludes an apology from an international captain, then they're a terrible captain. Sorry.
I'm not saying (nor is anyone else, actually) that Waqar wasn't a poor Pakistan captain. However, as I say - I challenge you to find me someone who'll feel happy apologising under those circumstances. And don't start bringing captaincy into it - most captains aren't bowlers.

Brian Statham might, and apart from him I'm struggling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I dont know how anyone can see a way that Waqar was in the right there, unless youre clearly irrational and tunnel visioned like Richard...
:laugh: As the majority of people can actually read, they'll notice I haven't actually said Waqar was in the right for bowling the Beamers, nor even actually in the right for being unable to bring himself to apologise.

Just in case anyone with an iyota of intelligence might be wondering - my initial post that Whelan Rolleyesed was to a large extent in jest.