Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's Fastest Bowler Competition - 1979

ret

World's Fastest Bowler Competition - 1979

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPDW7hj1yfs&NR=1

only a few went over 140 kmph!
    Fastest gun in town

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I think you'll find it was measured differently.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Plus it was well over 40 degrees and Thomson had been sitting out a ban for the season and, by his own admission, came straight from the pub

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Plus it was well over 40 degrees and Thomson had been sitting out a ban for the season and, by his own admission, came straight from the pub
    Haha, I can just imagine how it went too. Sinking a couple of pints, looking at his watch and saying;

"Oh ****, I gotta run!"

"What's up Thommo?"

"Got some ****ing bowling competition or some **** to go to. Back in an hour, my money's on the pool table ya bastards."
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Banned
    Thommo had been drinking beer all season serving his ban, gets a call from channel 9, goes to the bloody thing and wins it.

He also won the accuracy competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ret View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPDW7hj1yfs&NR=1

only a few went over 140 kmph!
    From what I have heard, this was the average speed over 18 yards. This meant that the bowlers who pitched it short had massive disadvantage to those who bowled full tosses. Even those who bowled full tosses would have still lost 10kph from the air resistance too.

If the average speed was taken, we can assume that the bowler's speeds, as per the methods employed by TV channels, were at least 5kph higher than recorded here.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I think you'll find it was measured differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    From what I have heard, this was the average speed over 18 yards. This meant that the bowlers who pitched it short had massive disadvantage to those who bowled full tosses. Even those who bowled full tosses would have still lost 10kph from the air resistance too.

If the average speed was taken, we can assume that the bowler's speeds, as per the methods employed by TV channels, were at least 5kph higher than recorded here.
    People keep repeating this, but I have never heard confirmation of it. Anyone have any links? If you look at the deliveries, you'll see them pitching it short - if it was really measured out of hand, everyone would be trying for extremely full balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    And if you look at the video, the measuring screen is set up directly parallel to the bowlers crease only.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    People keep repeating this, but I have never heard confirmation of it. Anyone have any links? If you look at the deliveries, you'll see them pitching it short - if it was really measured out of hand, everyone would be trying for extremely full balls.
    I'm going on the assumption that technology for measuring these sort of things have advanced somewhat too. Otherwise, why didn't we have bowling speeds flashed up all through the 80's? I though the angle of measurement etc was important.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I've never taken this in the slightest seriously. All you can tell from the thing is who was bowling faster than who else. There is no way any comparison whatsoever can be made to reliably-measured speeds of the post-1998 period.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Haha, I can just imagine how it went too. Sinking a couple of pints, looking at his watch and saying;

"Oh ****, I gotta run!"

"What's up Thommo?"

"Got some ****ing bowling competition or some **** to go to. Back in an hour, my money's on the pool table ya bastards."
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

And if you look at the video, the measuring screen is set up directly parallel to the bowlers crease only.
    I have raised both of these points. However, when I raised this earlier, I was told it was average speed, as if it were common information.

Quote Originally Posted by A post on planetcricket
    At the 2nd Test at the WACA in late 1975, the readings were as follows;

Jeff Thomson 160.45 kph
    Andy Roberts 159.49 kph
    Michael Holding 150.67 kph
    Dennis Lillee 148.54 kph

Somewhat ironically, Roy Fredericks pulverised Lillee and Thommo that game, scoring 169 in 145 balls as the team made 585 in only 95.4 (8 ball) overs.

A second study was conducted in controlled conditions the following year.

Jeff Thomson 160.6 kph
    Andy Roberts 157.4 kph
    Dennis Lillee 154.8 kph
    Michael Holding 153.2 kph
    Wayne Daniel 150.8 kph
    Bob Willis 145.9 kph
    Alan Ward 139.2 kph
    John Snow 138.7 kph
    I am sure that these readings cannot be too far above reality, as it is surely ludicrous to say that John Snow, England's express pacer, did not hit near 140kph. These readings do seem nearer how contempories would estimate it. However, it is a possibility that these were 'release speeds' rather than 'TV speeds' which are calculated a split second after release. I remember seeing, on hawkeye, a delivery from Zaheer Khan which was released at 137kph, but the speed gun reading (noted as "before pitching" on hawkeye) was 129kph and that was the one which appeared on the TV. Brett Lee clocked at 161kph in the 2001/02 season, an anomalous reading created by registering the release speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I've never taken this in the slightest seriously. All you can tell from the thing is who was bowling faster than who else. There is no way any comparison whatsoever can be made to reliably-measured speeds of the post-1998 period.
    Just because it is speculative, doesn't mean that an educated comparison cannot be made.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    As long as people treat it as speculative, that's fine. Too many people in my past experience have treated it as gospel, though. There is nothing concrete about it, and personally I'm happy only talking about actual speeds from 1998 onwards, and guessing previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    As long as people treat it as speculative, that's fine. Too many people in my past experience have treated it as gospel, though. There is nothing concrete about it, and personally I'm happy only talking about actual speeds from 1998 onwards, and guessing previously.
    As the link in my previous post notes though, one or two readings from 1998-onwards are erroneous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information