• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Last Chance Taken?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Watching Strauss here, hits a second 50, and yet if he hadn't tonned up in last game in NZ I don't think we'd ever see him in a Test again. It's got me thinking, what other examples are there of players who have been supposedly very much on their last legs, pulled something out of the bag and then gone on to do some great things?

An example that springs to mind immediately for me is Hayden; seem to remember there was talk of him being dropped around the time of the 5th Ashes Test in 05, he scored a much slower than usual ton and hasn't really looked back since (though I think he may have been dropped from the OD side for a short while).

Thoughts?

ret

International Debutant
Sehwag .... gets recalled at Perth, gives a useful performance, saves the game at Adelaide with a tremendous innings under pressure, hits a triple at Chennai

Ponting .... after a terrible perfo against India, takes the opportunity against Eng

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ponting .... after a terrible perfo against India, takes the opportunity against Eng
No way would he have never played again had he failed at Headingley in 2001. He might've been dropped, but he'd have been back sometime.

Seem to remember there was talk of Dilip Sardesi taking his last chance somewhere. Wonder if SJS remembers that.

Ironically Martyn mentions Hayden at The Oval in 2005; the same thing was true of Langer at the same ground in the same game in 2001. Had he been knocked-over cheaply, we could easily have never seen him again.

Alec Stewart at Old Trafford in 2002 is my favourite though. :) Never been more pleased about something in a game of cricket than I was after that innings.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1999. Australia touring the West Indies.

WIndies had just lost 5-0, 6-1 in South Africa and were at the lowest of points. Brian Lara was told before the series that he was on a 2-Test probation, where his captaincy and place in the side would be under scrutiny. There was a lot of thought that Chanderpaul would take over the captaincy if he failed.

In the first Test West Indies crashed to a, then, record low of 51 all out to lose embarrassingly at the Queen's Park Oval. West Indies crawled to Sabina Park where Lara's future was on the line. Australia scored 256 in the first innings and then Suruj Ragoonath and Lincoln Roberts (both dire batsmen) were out for ducks and West Indies were reeling at 5-2. That soon became 17-3 when Sherwin Campbell was bowled by McGrath for 12. Lara went on to score 213 off 344 balls, with 29 fours and 3 sixes. West Indies won by 10 wickets. In the next game Lara scored his famous 153 not out and then 100 off 84 balls in a losing cause in the final game of the series. On Lara's back West Indies drew 2-2. Since, West Indies have only won one Test against Australia in 3 series since.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lara went on to score 213 off 344 balls, with 29 fours and 3 sixes. West Indies won by 10 wickets. In the next game Lara scored his famous 153 not out and then 100 off 84 balls in a losing cause in the final game of the series.
Often wondered what might've happened had Mark Waugh caught that catch on 44 in said 213. And obviously the possibilities had Healy caught the chance on 146 have been discussed endlessly.
On Lara's back West Indies drew 2-2. Since, West Indies have only won one Test against Australia in 3 series since.
That being in a dead match, indeed.

Craig

World Traveller
Well that could change tonight though. I really do hope the West Indies are able to make the biggest upset since Ireland beat Pakistan in last year's WC and I think that will be a good thing (not having the 150 Australia is doomed threads that will pop up).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well that could change tonight though. I really do hope the West Indies are able to make the biggest upset since Ireland beat Pakistan in last year's WC and I think that will be a good thing (not having the 150 Australia is doomed threads that will pop up).
Disagree. Would be the biggest upset since West Indies beat South Africa in South Africa. West Indies hadn't won a Test overseas (against someone other than Zimbabwe/Bangladesh) since 2000. South Africa were playing some pretty sharp cricket. I'd say beating South Africa in 4 days in South Africa was an epic achievement in that context.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
An obvious one is Mark Taylor in the 2nd innings of the 1st Test of the 1997 Ashes. He put on some runs after we were way behind and still lost the Test, but he was very likely gone if he didn't make runs in that innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How often has a captain been dropped in the middle of an away series?

I can only ever think of Mike Denness.

stumpski

International Captain
He dropped himself in fact. Cricinfo feature. Re: Taylor, I remember that innings very well and the pressure he was under - the state of the game as well as his own form. I think he would have played the rest of the series even if he hadn't made that ton, but that might well have been his lot.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But he scored runs later that series. Whether he'd have done that had he not got that knock at Edgbaston, well, who knows, but I don't think that knock was quite the "last game before you're dropped" material some others have been.

Says a lot, though, that Michael Atherton, his opposite-number, actually felt glad to have seen Taylor get that score, and said he enjoyed the victory more because of it - said he went into the Aussie dressing-room for the usual post-match beer and saw the relief on his face.

Taylor truly was someone held in the highest esteem by his opponents.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Symonds 72 vs SA at MCG - career was over if he failed

Sidebottom should probably never have been recalled but took his supposed one-off chance brilliantly

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, good call on Sidebottom. With hindsight it was clearly the right decision but there was an element of :wacko: at the time

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I think it was more due to our own poor form that there was an element of :wacko:ness about it. Neither Plunkett nor Mahmood should ever have got remotely close to being picked ahead of him. Truth be told, neither Harmison nor Anderson ever had much of a case for it either.

Anyway don't think Sidebottom is what was in mind - at the time of his game in question he was playing his 2nd Test. Think the idea was an established player who'd lost form, not one who'd never been given much chance.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, that was what I meant, nonetheless if Sidebottom had had a disaster in that Test I doubt he'd have ever been seen again. Nothing wrong with deviating slightly from the original question :)