• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the West Indian pace octet

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Pick the top eight West Indian fast bowlers.

My ranking:

1. Marshall
  2. Ambrose
  3. Holding
  4. Garner
  5. Roberts
  6. Hall
  7. Walsh
  8. Bishop

It's sick, you could virtually flip the middle part of it around and it would make perfect sense. And I feel like I'm missing someone. I left Croft out on purpose, as he didn't play as many Tests.

ret

International Debutant
8. Bishop
7. Hall
6. Walsh
5. Garner
4. Roberts
3. Holding
2. Ambrose
1. Marshall

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
My Top 10 :-

1. Joel Garner
2. Malcom Marshall
3. Wes Hall
4. Colin Croft
5. Michael Holding
6. Andy Roberts
7. Curtly Ambrose
8. Sylvester Clarke
9. Ian Bishop
10. Courtney Walsh

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting indeed, particularly Croft well above Ambi and Clarke above Walsh.

Top 8:
  1. Malcom Marshall
  2. Curtley Ambrose
  3. Joel Garner
  4. Andy Roberts
  5. Michael Holding
  6. Courtney Walsh
  7. Colin Croft
  8. Ian Bishop

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ITSTL. Ambrose that low?
Yes, I dont rate Ambrose as highly as some people on this forum do. I watched him play against india quite a few times and I didn't find him anywhere good as any of the WI bowlers of the 80s.

Walsh, while being a great bowler, never in the league of great fearsom WI fast bowlers.

Slifer

International Captain
Marshall
Daylight
Ambrose
GArner
Holding
Roberts
Walsh
Bishop
Croft
Hall
PAtterson/Griffith/S Clarke

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1. Marshall (easily)
2. Ambrose
3. Garner
4. Bishop
5. Holding
6. Hall
7. Roberts
8. Walsh

Clarke, Croft and Daniel also very much worth a mention, but weren't good enough to displace those around them. And so easy to forget how good the likes of Winston Benjamin, et al were or could have been. And there's the likes of Franklyn Stephenson and Ezra Moseley who never or hardly even played due to electing for Rebel tours, and Roy Gilchrist who hardly played because he was a psychopath. There were the early greats like Constantine, Martindale, Francis and Griffith (H). Then the lesser lights like Griffith (C), Patterson, Davis (W), Small (M), Baptiste, Holder, etc. And don't forget Reon King who started so well and was ruined by injury.

There was even a decent spinner - Rangy Nanan - who is almost completely forgotten. Plus the decent spinner, decent lower-order batsman and superlative fielder Roger Harper.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Malcom Marshall
Andy Roberts
Curtley Ambrose
Michael Holding
Joel Garner
Courtney Walsh
Colin Croft
Ian Bishop

bond21

Banned
Ambrose would love this forum, hes more over rated here than hotdogs are at a Baseball stadium.

Putting Ambrose above Holding is just WTF material, seriously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure about waaaaaaay, but I can't imagine all that many would put Ambrose below him, and if they did they'd have to have damn good reasoning. Holding was a bit quicker, and that's it. Ambrose got more bounce, hit much better lengths more consistently, and almost certainly bowled better off- and leg-cutters.

I never really had to think much before putting him second to Marshall among West Indians.

ret

International Debutant
Ambrose got more bounce, hit much better lengths more consistently, and almost certainly bowled better off- and leg-cutters.
Add to that the ability deliver under pressure

the game against Aus in Aus where he took some wkts at the end to give WI a victory, the game against SA in WI where he won it on his own ..... brilliant examples of delivering under pressure

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Add to that the ability deliver under pressure
Well yeah, true, but Holding didn't lack in that respect either.

However, he also never really had much of a chance to play the lone ranger in a live Test. Had The Oval 1976 seen West Indies being 1-0 down (or even the series been 1-1) that'd have been a performance to rival all Ambrose's.

ret

International Debutant
Well yeah, true, but Holding didn't lack in that respect either.
yep, and thats the reason why these bowlers are so close and it's a thing here or there that we have to take to rank them apart

as a personal preference, if both were in my X1, i would hand the ball to Ambrose for a critical over

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When a pitch offered even the hint of uneven bounce, I have a hard time believing too many people went on a rampage as well as Curtly did. It's one thing bowling exceptionally well, and quite another to be simply unplayable - and Curtly on his day and wicket was unplayable.