• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Days of Grace

International Captain
The fact that a rubbish-batsman like Bell gets a 150 means that this pitch is a farce.

This is my opinion, btw, so therefore, it's fact.

irfan

State Captain
Well played KP, was a joy to watch that innings, flat pitch or not.

Interesting to note (just looked it up as I had a hunch), that Bell has never scored a hundred by himself in an innings, ie another England batsman has always also tonned up in that innings, sometimes more than one. Make of that what you will.
Fair point. Still a couple of notches below Hayden & Sehwag as fairweather batter tho.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well played KP, was a joy to watch that innings, flat pitch or not.

Interesting to note (just looked it up as I had a hunch), that Bell has never scored a hundred by himself in an innings, ie another England batsman has always also tonned up in that innings, sometimes more than one. Make of that what you will.

It may not have been aton but Bell was certainly pretty much on his own in this second innings

Woodster

International Captain
Bell has batted beautifully, his timing has been exquisite either elegant punches off the back foot or his textbook straight drive to bring up his 150. His wagon wheel shows he has scored all round the wicket, unsurprisingly considering his vast array of shots. Top performance from a top batsman.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fabulous shot that.

And that straight drive he played earlier was the best I've seen in a long time.

Briony

International Debutant
It shows you the value of time in the middle which is where some of the Saffas might be caught short. Their bowlers' lack of practice leading into the test means that the rustiness has turned into tripe.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
But that is an innings of zero consequence. England got raped. His innings made no difference.

He is the most fair weather of players which in fairness is better than being **** all the time.
More like the rest of the England batting screwed up. They had a whole day's play to ccumulate 300 and they got out for 100 odd.I can remember the consensus on TMS was that Bell in his fifty was the only one who did the right thing showing how easy it should have been.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Bell always was a great batsmen. He just had problems going on after making really nice looking 30 and 40s. The fact he went on today is nothing to do with the pitch but to do with having the mental fortitude to keep his focus past the first hour of his innings. Yes, the bowling wasnt great which no doubt helped as he wasnt forced to actually play that much. But still a great innings. It also doesnt mean he wont go back to his bad habit of making good 30's and then get out again :)

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
With the threat of rain still lingering around for rest of the match, surely a declaration must be on the agenda in the next hour of play.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
With the threat of rain still lingering around for rest of the match, surely a declaration must be on the agenda in the next hour of play.
I was thinking that. However, Im not sure on the weather conditions.

Better to bat in the drizzle than declare and have the South Africans go of for the rain.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BBC said:
From Paul Harris's namesake Paul Harris via text on 81111: "Hi all, could we please lay off Paul Harris? I am getting disheartened at my desk on this Friday afternoon."
Paul Harris's namesake Paul Harris
:laugh:

stumpski

International Captain
I think they'll carry on as long as Bell's there tbh (maybe declare if and when he gets 200). Weather looking pretty good right now. But no point having tailenders pottering about.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Saturday's forecast is like today - showers but play the rest of the time. The forecast for Sunday & Monday is fine though.

Declaring tonight may be unwise if bad light comes into play soon after tea.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't see the point myself, likely there'll be bad light in the evening session, and saffies will take it. Might as well make runs why we can. good weather forecast for sunday and monday.

Meanwhile, Broad looking increasingly like a better batsman then Ambrose, Collingwood or Freddie.

EDIT, beaten to it.

stumpski

International Captain
Broad looking increasingly like a better batsman then Ambrose, Collingwood or Freddie.
I agree, I think we've finally found our no. 8. As he goes to a 2nd 50 in as many Tests.

Just has to get the bowling average down under 35 now.