View Poll Results: Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 79.55%
  • No

9 20.45%
Page 3 of 467 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in England

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    This account truly does have uncanny similarities to SW\BLE. I'm pretty sure it's not, but it's odd.
    LOL yes on both counts

In all seriousness, I expect a close series. They usually are between us.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Will be good to see Smith v KP in the longer form.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
    Don't know why you put a question mark against his name. ATM he is better than Bell. Also, when was the last time he was dropped? I could be wrong, but he has had a pretty solid run in the team since the India series, while Bell has been the one who has constantly disappointed.
    Indeed he is, but Bell is obviously a far better batsman than Collingwood and his recent form has been better. Collingwood despite being a fixture ever since the Third Test in Pakistan has always been playing for his place, always just a few failures away from the axe being over his head. Even he himself has admitted this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I believe that the form of Cook and Strauss could be crucial to England's success against South Africa. From what I have noticed, Dale Steyn does not tend to get left handed batsmen out and so, the two openers should look to cash in on the bowler's weakness by getting England off to a good start. I also believe that Morne Morkel could be the dangerman for South Africa, he bowled very quickly against India and if he can pitch the ball on a good length, he could get the ball to seam and bounce sharply.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

It's far from nailed-against certainly TBH. Things are looking pretty decent for us currently, there's a decent amount of stability, but as mentioned the same thing is currently true of SA.

I mean, even now you can be near enough certain of the teams that will stroll out on the opening morning (fitness permitting obviously):
    Strauss, Cook, Vaughan, Pietersen, Bell, *, Ambrose, *, Sidebottom, Anderson, MSP.
    Smith, McKenzie, Amla, Kallis, Prince, de Villiers, Boucher, Harris, *, Ntini, Steyn.

There's only one place in the SA team up for grabs, really, it's a question of Nel or Morkel. With England there's absolutely no guarantee of either Collingwood or, especially, Broad, being in the line-up.

Collingwood, of course, has never played a Test against South Africa - the only team he's not yet faced. And the team which has conquered him best in ODIs.
    Not convinced that stability alone makes us a decent team. I know that's easy to write after this morning's debacle at OT, but it's been clear enough for a while anyway. SA should win the series by a mile. England's only hope is that was true for their previous 3 series over here, and they ballsed it up each time.

Just canít see England winning the test series if they select the side which is currently playing against New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Not convinced that stability alone makes us a decent team. I know that's easy to write after this morning's debacle at OT, but it's been clear enough for a while anyway. SA should win the series by a mile. England's only hope is that was true for their previous 3 series over here, and they ballsed it up each time.
    Oh absolutely. But stability tends to suggest that players are performing well and earning their continued presence. If we don't have a stable side, we won't be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Venter View Post
    And quite frankly I've never understood the view held by some on this forum that England are a great team in the making.
    Such as?
    They had some reasonable success against relatively weak opposition in 2004 and were in the right place at the right time against Australia in 2005. And they've been largely poor since.
    South Africa in 2004/05 were far from weak opposition, though one or two circumstances did conspire in their (England's) favour. And while there was indeed an element of right-place-at-right-time to 2005 (Gillespie's virtual on-the-spot decline, McGrath's injuries, to an extent the couple of bad decisions against Martyn) there was far more of overpowering players who had always been weak in the areas others aside from England were not good enough to exploit (Hayden, Gilchrist, Martyn) as well as making excellent players appear merely decent (Ponting) and good ones appear poor (Katich).

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Venter View Post
    I can't see England genuinely challenging Australia for that world no.1 spot - England don't have the talent for that.
    That's obvious. No one has said otherwise in this thread and it has nothing to do with the series in question. So why bother bringing it up?

Breakout Champion!
    But stability tends to suggest that players are performing well and earning their continued presence.
    Much like James Anderson, who continues to get carted and is being persevered with through lack of a genuine pace option?

Anderson was persevered with for the opening Test of the NZ series through bad selection. No more. Same thing that somehow resulted in Shah losing-out to his vast inferior Bopara.

Pinball Champion!
    2-0 to SA.. Unless England pick Hoggard and Harmison in which case 2-1 or 2-2..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    2-0 to SA.. Unless England pick Hoggard and Harmison in which case 2-1 or 2-2..
    Even with Hoggard and Harmison I still expect S.A to see off England fairly easily
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    Even with Hoggard and Harmison I still expect S.A to see off England fairly easily
    Harmison would be a complete irrelevance. Hoggard might possibly make a difference, though I doubt it.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Just canít see England winning the test series if they select the side which is currently playing against New Zealand.
    Who you supporting anyway?

Page 3 of 467 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information