View Poll Results: Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 79.55%
  • No

9 20.45%
Page 11 of 467 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in England

Caddick has the opening wicket of the tour of McKenzie - he still hasn't given up hope of a recall, I bet. Out of interest, why was he dropped? His last Test innings bowling performance was 7/94!
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Caddick has the opening wicket of the tour of McKenzie - he still hasn't given up hope of a recall, I bet. Out of interest, why was he dropped? His last Test innings bowling performance was 7/94!
    He got injured.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He got injured.
    Okay - but why no recall when he was fit?

Okay - but why no recall when he was fit?
    Because it was an entire year later and he was 36 years old. There were lingering doubts over his fitness and longevity and his return season was pretty lean - he averaged over 35 in the County Championship in 2004. By the time he was consistently getting on the park on putting in good performances it was 2005, and we all know what happened then...

Yes, fair enough - slightly unlucky for him though,

Yes, fair enough - slightly unlucky for him though,
    Not really, imo. His 7-for was in the final test of an ashes series where we'd lost the other 4 tests and he'd barely done a thing. When we needed him to lead the way, he was completely ineffective - as had been the case in the previous ashes series too. His time had gone, and 7 wickets on a very helpful 4th innings pitch in a dead rubber did nothing whatsoever to change that.

Why play him if a good performance will not retain his place.

Why play him if a good performance will not retain his place.
    Well England had a stack of injuries on that tour so they didn't have a stack of options. As I said, too, he got injured - if he didn't get that injury I'm sure he would have retained his place.

Furthermore, lets not forget Michael Vaughan's last ODI.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    **** that was a ripper of a game. Stayed up all night watching it, and was not let down.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Not really, imo. His 7-for was in the final test of an ashes series where we'd lost the other 4 tests and he'd barely done a thing. When we needed him to lead the way, he was completely ineffective - as had been the case in the previous ashes series too. His time had gone, and 7 wickets on a very helpful 4th innings pitch in a dead rubber did nothing whatsoever to change that.
    We're all aware of your feelings on Caddick, and I remain baffled that you think the likes of Harmison, Anderson etc. are even fit to lace his boots.

Yes, his career was a disappointment 1993-1998, and again 2001-2002/03, but even in these times he had his moments - and in his bad times these moments were more frequent than Harmison and Anderson for the vast proportion of their careers.

I'm highly disappointed Caddick got injured when he did, as I believe we'd have been a better side with him in it the last 5 years.

BTW, I know SA have reached the height of absurdity regarding their openers long ago, but they're having a decent stab at going higher still this game - McKenzie opening instead of de Villiers is stupid, Duminy opening instead of him more stupid still.

But where could the likes of Kallis prefer to open the tour than Taunton? Perfect for some early nick-getting-into, especially when the attack is made-up of the likes of Turner, Durston and Suppiah. Just hope they cash-in to the fullest extent.

I wonder how often a wicket has fallen to the opening ball of a tour though? As has happened with Caddick dismissing McKenzie here.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

We're both aware that you cannot exactly drop your captain during a WC though, but I do see your point.

By the time England played their next ODI, Vaughan had resigned the captaincy.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We're all aware of your feelings on Caddick, and I remain baffled that you think the likes of Harmison, Anderson etc. are even fit to lace his boots.
    Speak for yourself Rich

Caddick at his peak obviously > Harmison or Anderson.
    But by 2003 that peak was already a pretty distant memory, and things weren't going to improve by the time he was fit again. Post SL in 2001, how many decent performances did we really see from him? IIRC nothing whatsoever against Aus that summer, moderate in NZ, one decent performance at home to SL and another completely ineffective ashes until that final innings. However good he may have occasionally been in 1999 & 2000, his time was up.

After the First Test against Pakistan, he returned to the self we'd known 1993-1998 for the last six Tests that summer. As I said, though, he certainly still bowled well on occasions, even that very summer. The frustrating thing was that we all knew he could be doing much better.

Never better was this demonstrated than the NZ tour of 2001/02. He was England's best bowler, but he could easily have taken 30 wickets in 3 Tests, the rest of the attack was so poor. He didn't.

He bowled poorly in the first-innings of the SL series, then OK in the short second-innings. He then bowled superbly, absolutely superbly, in the Second Test, and his figures did not remotely do him justice. He was injured for the next 3 games and was brought back too soon. Was easily the best of a poor attack in the last Test against India.

Bowled poorly for much of The Ashes 2002/03, on mostly flat pitches on which he never offered much threat all career. Then got a ten-for in the last game.

As I said - this is still far, far better than Anderson and Harmison ever did for all their careers bar Harmison's first 7 in 2004. And this is when Caddick was not at his best.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Will Flintoff be fit for the ODIs?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Page 11 of 467 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information