• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe. So is Flintoff, of course.

Goes without mentioning that Flintoff and Tremlett both > Broad.
Tremlett at his best is better than Broad, but I would imagine (again, rightly or wrongly) that given that Tremlett is not guaranteed to be better than Broad with the ball, Broad is pretty much guaranteed to be significantly better than Tremlett with the bat. So, given two bowlers of a similar type, they've opted for the incumbent, who also happens to be the better bat.

Pattinson chosen over Tremlett as a more direct replacement like-for-like for Sidebottom. If the last test taught people anything, it should be that a bowling attack needs to have slightly more than one dimension.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nonsense. You need to learn the difference between "I don't like the look of" and "that's plainly poor". It's really not very difficult.
Of course, when you stated you didn't like the selection, you were actually backing it :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I saw Pattinson bowl a few times for Victoria last season and there's certainly nothing special about him. He's a far cry from Test standard really has nothing on Tremlett. Collingwood dropped as well to allow him to play.. all so very ridiculous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tremlett at his best is better than Broad, but I would imagine (again, rightly or wrongly) that given that Tremlett is not guaranteed to be better than Broad with the ball, Broad is pretty much guaranteed to be significantly better than Tremlett with the bat. So, given two bowlers of a similar type, they've opted for the incumbent, who also happens to be the better bat.

Pattinson chosen over Tremlett as a more direct replacement like-for-like for Sidebottom. If the last test taught people anything, it should be that a bowling attack needs to have slightly more than one dimension.
Quality is quality. Whether Tremlett is quality remains to be seen, but quality is quality.

Trying to go like-for-like and trying to vary the bowling as much as possible is always dangerous, as you can so easily pick inferior bowlers.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Why? when I think that his incluson is an absolute travesty.
But the selectors obviously know more than you about the matter, I imagine that they've attended most of Notts games and had first-hand knowledge of the type of bowler he is.

As i said- the SA's won't of seen him, he's confident after taking plenty of wickets this season.

Best of luck to the lad.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

The strange thing is, if not for reports from one game this season in England, I'd never have picked Pattinson to be much of a swing bowler either. He's an absolute giant of a man and when I saw him play for Victoria last season, he generally bowled just back of a length and didn't get much movement at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the selectors obviously know more than you about the matter, I imagine that they've attended most of Notts games and had first-hand knowledge of the type of bowler he is.
There's only so much knowledge you can get from the small number of games he's played. And I highly doubt they'll have attended more than 3 or 4 games he's played.

HeathDavisSpeed

Trying to go like-for-like and trying to vary the bowling as much as possible is always dangerous, as you can so easily pick inferior bowlers.
I'm not advocating it, but doesn't that look like what's happened here.

The strange thing is, if not for reports from one game this season in England, I'd never have picked Pattinson to be much of a swing bowler either. He's an absolute giant of a man and when I saw him play for Victoria last season, he generally bowled just back of a length and didn't get much movement at all.
Well, I've no idea at all. I'd never heard of the guy until a week ago. I have no idea whether he's any good at all.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, I wasn't backing it. You need to learn that there is such thing as neither backing nor outright crucifying it.
You need to learn to accept when your caught in your own web of lies as it detracts from the small amount of credibility you have left

Scaly piscine

So let me get this straight, Sidebottom was an injury doubt so they brought in Tremlett as cover. Then Anderson was an injury doubt and so they brought Pattinson in as cover.

So where exactly does Pattinson leapfrog Tremlett?

Oh and good idea England in having a poncy flair batting lineup with no guts in it whatsoever. Morkel and Steyn must be loving it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You need to learn to accept when your caught in your own web of lies as it detracts from the small amount of credibility you have left
My credibility is not something you're well-placed to comment on. Do you really think I'd have said what I said about Sidebottom in this thread without checking what I'd said a year ago if I thought there was anything as damning as you're trying to manufacture that there is?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not advocating it, but doesn't that look like what's happened here.
Is that a question? I'm presuming so.

I honestly don't know. All I know is this is the most from-nowhere selection of my time and whatever the selectors' reasons, and whatever the outcome, it's an absolute shocker.