• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Decent start thus far. Disappointing to see Mac once again fail in England but he does play all around his front pad and unlike in the subcontinent, he won't or shouldn't get away with it here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Late in the day Somerset reduced to bowling the innocuous fingerspin of Suppiah and Durston. Who apart from being promising batsmen also have in common that they're both ex Millfield pupils.

150 up for Kallis.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Caddick’s back now. Somerset could have least played Thomas or even Banks (!), this side is a crock of ****.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wondered if he might do that.

These two very much need to avoid after-the-Lord-Mayor's-show syndrome and stick it out for the next 1\4hr then score themselves something good tomorrow.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I am unaware of the intelligence used in the preparation of warm-up game matches, but I suspect that Somerset have prepared an intentionally flat pitch to give South Africa effectively no practice at the seaming wickets which they will expect to bowl and bat on during the Test series. I don't know or particularly care just how substandard Somerset's team is, no county team should be getting hit for 5.07 runs per over and only pick up 3 wickets in 87 overs. Something is wrong and I suspect it is the pitch.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am unaware of the intelligence used in the preparation of warm-up game matches, but I suspect that Somerset have prepared an intentionally flat pitch to give South Africa effectively no practice at the seaming wickets which they will expect to bowl and bat on during the Test series. I don't know or particularly care just how substandard Somerset's team is, no county team should be getting hit for 5.07 runs per over and only pick up 3 wickets in 87 overs. Something is wrong and I suspect it is the pitch.
County Championship is poor, Somerset wicket is perhaps best in the world, Kallis is great = 5 runs per over

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I am aware of Somerset's flat wicket but 5 an over FFS and although Kallis has scored the quickest, all of the batsmen have scored at a very good rate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most importantly, most of these bowlers are not county-standard bowlers. Mark Turner is a joke, who (like Gareth Andrew, Chris Whelan and Chris Wright and a few others) should never, ever have got a contract for a second county having been released from his first.

Caddick is coming back from injury, Jones is rubbish, Munday is maybe even worse than Turner, and Durston and Suppiah are both very poor part-timers too.

This is not a county-standard attack or close to it, and yes, Taunton is of times a disgrace. It's far too small, the pitch often offers far too little to bowlers.

There are many occasions I'm far more bothered by it than this though. For once, I'm quite happy to see it. If it's a tactic to try and lull SA into a false sense of security, it's a stupid one - this is exactly what any batsman wants on the first game on tour, a chance to get some early form and confidence. They can then build from here against tougher bowling.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Is five an over pretty regular in County games or warm up matches, then? I don't follow either particularly keenly, but wish to follow this tour for the good contest it promises to be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, as I said this is exceptional - most county attacks have at least the odd decent bowler in there (this one doesn't presuming Caddick is taking as long as he usually does to get back into the swing post-injury), most grounds are smaller than Taunton, and most wickets are less unhelpful to bowlers of all kind than this one appears to be.

Don't judge too much by this game. It's an exception to many rules.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, fair enough. I saw Turner bowl in a T20 (I'm 95% sure it was him:)) and did not suspect that he could look so promising in T20 and yet be so poor in CC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway, it's Stumps at Taunton - 455 for 3 (+1 retired), Prince 34*, de Villiers 17*. Hopefully those two can bat the session tomorrow morning, then SA bowl for the rest of the game. Even though victory is pretty unlikely, most of them just need to bowl.

Langeveldt

Soutie
No, no, I highly doubt I will until the Tests start. It's not really a case of "decide" either, it's not something I'll think "I think I'll support SA here", it's just the way it goes.
Pfft get of your fence.. I've been ridiculed for eleven years in England for supporting my adopted nation, grow some balls and some green bone marrow..

Had to work all day today, but going tomorrow and Tuesday.. Promises to be one long party as the ground is stacked full of my friends from here (and SA)..

Why has Cricinfo got Kallis listed as Retired Hurt.. Worrying?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Typical England really. Let a touring side bat themselfs into form and get use to the conditions Vs. a really ****ty attack. Whats wrong with trying to crush their confidence while they might not be up to 100% in the first game?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the saddest things about the county game is that the county contracted players make very little effort where tour games are concerned.

It used to be the case that players would take this opportunity to press for higher honours, e.g. Lawson bouncing the hell out of Boycott for NSW, but for many years it has appeared that these games are nothing more than a chore for the "locals."

Don't know what the answer is (appearance fees maybe) but days like today dont reflect well on the local competition

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, and the counties often rest some of their better players. It is a shame, the only time it seems to be different is when the Aussies are in town, who can forget the hysterics when Somerset notched up a cracker of a victory against them prior to the ODIs last time out.

I think money probably is the solution, perhaps some sort of ECB bonus for victory. Glorified net sessions for the opposition do England's cause no harm so the ECB should offer the counties incentives. Incentives they admittedly shouldn't need, it should be an honour to play against any Test nation, but there you go.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pfft get of your fence.. I've been ridiculed for eleven years in England for supporting my adopted nation, grow some balls and some green bone marrow..
Maybe.
Had to work all day today, but going tomorrow and Tuesday.. Promises to be one long party as the ground is stacked full of my friends from here (and SA)..
Daym, sounds like you missed the best day. Had thought you were there. Can't see SA being as dominant on the remaining two days as they were today.
Why has Cricinfo got Kallis listed as Retired Hurt.. Worrying?
More likely just retired to give someone else a go.
Aye, that's what I'd presumed. Kallis isn't going to be silly enough to retire out when he could retire not-out, is he? :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One of the saddest things about the county game is that the county contracted players make very little effort where tour games are concerned.

It used to be the case that players would take this opportunity to press for higher honours, e.g. Lawson bouncing the hell out of Boycott for NSW, but for many years it has appeared that these games are nothing more than a chore for the "locals."

Don't know what the answer is (appearance fees maybe) but days like today dont reflect well on the local competition
It's rather more about selection than player motivation. Mostly with the amount of cricket that's played these days teams take the chance to rest many first-choice players. If Caddick had been fit all season it's pretty likely he too wouldn't be playing today.

Staffs which are too large - and excess amounts of cricket - are one problem that affects many things, and this is amongst them.