View Poll Results: Jeetan Patel, do you like him?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's awesome

9 47.37%
  • First chance average would likely improve his bowling figures

6 31.58%
  • Enthusiasm personified

4 21.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Perennial Twelth Man

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

The Perennial Twelth Man

Jeetan 'Dave' Patel was born in Wellington, New Zealand on May the 7th, 1980. Patel (as his name suggests) has parents who are both of Indian origin. Yet the most interesting (and relevant to this forum) fact about Jeetan Patel, is that he is a cricket player.

Jeetan Patel represented Wellington age group level-teams (under 15, under 17 and under 19) and was ear-marked as a promising player in the early stages of his career. He made his first class debut in the New Zealand 99/00 season for the Firebirds and was brought into the NZ international team in 2005.

Yet Jeetan Patel has spent much of his career in Daniel Vettori's (New Zealand's premier spinner) shadow. Jeetan Patel is a cricketer who appears to ride on sheer determination and confidence, using loop and drift along with his spin to take the wickets of opposing batsmen. As a dedicated fieldsman, experienced bowler and a handy lower order batsman, Jeetan Patel has been able to cement his position in the Black Cap's squad. But what is his position in this squad?
    More often than not, it is that of New Zealand's 12th man.

Often overlooked, under appreciated and under rated, Jeetan Patel is my own favourite cricketer. This young man brings an enthusiasm to the game second to none, even when sitting on the sidelines his natural charisma is undeniable.

This thread is a tribute to Jeeves, New Zealand's 'next' best spinner and one of the most charismatic players to have ever graced the bench.

Jeetan expressing his joy after dismissing Tim Ambrose in the 1st Test vs. England Hamilton, March 7 2008
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Bruce Martin>Jeetan Patel.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Legend, is Jeets.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Bruce Martin>Jeetan Patel.
    Banish'd TBH.

Never seen an international player as happy to play the game as Jeeves.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Undoubtedly he's had a few catches dropped, and had he had all chances taken his figures would be better, but I still don't think they'd be particularly good.

BTW, it can't really be called first-chance average when bowlers are the ones under consideration. Using the same principle, an all-chance average would be a more accurate term.

Being the fan you are, I'm sure you could calculate such a thing for us. And no, something which clipped the fingers of the slip or wicketkeeper or was smashed off the middle of the bat into the short-leg doesn't count.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    From what I've seen he appears a mediocre finger spinner, who's definitely shy of Daniel Vettori's class. Economical and useful, but unlikely to be penetrative in any form of the game. Few fingerspinners are penetrative, and as alluded to before, I consider Patel in the mediocre centre of the spectrum.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Few fingerspinners are penetrative
    No fingerspinners are penetrative under all circumstances. They need the right sort of pitch to be so, and for the last 40 (nearly) years such pitches have been rare and mostly confined to Sri Lanka and India.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No fingerspinners are penetrative under all circumstances. They need the right sort of pitch to be so, and for the last 40 (nearly) years such pitches have been rare and mostly confined to Sri Lanka and India.
    Rarely do I agree with you as furiously as I do right now.
    Of course, things like a good doosra can improve a fingerspinner's potency in unsupportive conditions, but even that won't do much on the majority of pitches these days.

EDIT: Btw, I had to read your post twice, because at first I thought you'd said, "No, fingerspinners are penetrative under all circumstances." and I was taken aback.
    Last edited by Mr Mxyzptlk; 22-05-2008 at 07:07 AM.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Jeetan Patel is awesome, enjoy watching him bowl and he's a pretty good number 10 or number 11 batsman.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Love watching him bowl, can't think of many other spinners who put as much "revs" on the ball as him.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

You mean fingerspinners, of course, Liam?

Beau Casson probably puts a fair few more on, despite being several rungs below Patel as a bowler.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Yeah, fingerspinners.

Test match AC average 32.42

ODI AC average 32.43

Crazy that the difference is .01

How many catches have been dropped (or stumpings missed, or out decisions wrongly been given n\o) off him, BTW? I haven't really counted.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    To offer a shred of hope for Jeetan, Collingwood was in a similar position for us from 2003-05, touring "well" (which I've always taken as an euphemism for not being a moaning ****) & a splendid fielder and Colly's now a fixture in our XI with 30-odd tests on the bounce.

I have to say too that on the occasions I've seen him bowl with Vettori (usually against England, TBF) Patel has almost invariably outbowled the senior twirler. Certainly a bigger spinner of the ball.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information