• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SS "Most overrated batsmen of all time: All of them"

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
KaZoh0lic said that Warne/Murali are on the same league as someone like Malcolm Marshall...to me its not even close, and I bet I'd win a lot more games with Marshall than Warne/Murali.
You should tell that to many of the great fast bowlers themselves who'd disagree with you. The fact that a spinner was the highest rated bowler in ESPN's vote, with so many fast bowlers themselves in the panel, or in Wisden's vote...or the fact that the very player you consider the greatest bowler of all time considers a spinner the greatest of all time...

None of this puts any doubt in you?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that a spinner was the highest rated bowler in ESPN's vote, with so many fast bowlers themselves in the panel, or in Wisden's vote...
Neither of those lists were about great bowlers - they were about great cricketers, which allows so many other factors into the equation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A seamer and a spinner do different things. To judge them the same is asking for these kinds of reactions.
Seamers and spinners are both bowlers. The job of a bowler is to take as many wickets conceding as few a runs as possible. There's nothing else to it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sure, but the fact that spinners come on later and after a few wickets that are usually down and facing settled batsmen and often in unfriendly spin conditions...makes it a whole different job, more expensive in terms of runs and overs.
And if a seamer could come on at the same time and do a better job, that means the seamer is the better bowler.

And the fact that conditions dictate so much to even the very best spinners (never mind the more middling ones), as they sometimes do again places them a rung below the best seamers. All the best seamers - 40 or 50 of them - have been capable of performing in all conditions. Only the very, very elite 6 or 7 spinners have that capability, and even these will be impacted upon more than will the seamers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You should tell that to many of the great fast bowlers themselves who'd disagree with you. The fact that a spinner was the highest rated bowler in ESPN's vote, with so many fast bowlers themselves in the panel, or in Wisden's vote...or the fact that the very player you consider the greatest bowler of all time considers a spinner the greatest of all time...

None of this puts any doubt in you?
No, they are judging different things. Most people consider proper leg spin the hardest skill to master (and they are probably right), and doing it like Warne has (relying on simplicity and absolute accuracy) is astounding. It deserves admiration and respect. That does not make him as effective as Malcolm Marshall though in terms of actual match winning ability.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, they are judging different things. Most people consider proper leg spin the hardest skill to master (and they are probably right), and doing it like Warne has (relying on simplicity and absolute accuracy) is astounding. It deserves admiration and respect. That does not make him as effective as Malcolm Marshall though in terms of actual match winning ability.
LMAO, how did you decipher how much match-winning ability Malcolm Marshall had? Statsguru?

I also fail to believe that THAT many cricketers/bowlers are saying Warne is the greatest bowler ever, for example, simply because Warne mastered a harder skill. This is the problem with your argument, you're showing a clear lack of acknowledgment to what a great spinner means and how and why someone like Warne is rated so highly. I'm yet to hear anyone rate a spinner higher than a seamer because spin is harder. If that's your reasoning then that's atrocious.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
LMAO, how did you decipher how much match-winning ability Malcolm Marshall had? Statsguru?
I've actually watched about 50 of his Tests now. But its hard getting hands on the footage of him in the subcontinent. Suffice it to say, while I haven't watched as much of him as I have of Warne, he was most definitely a huge match winner.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This is the problem with your argument, you're showing a clear lack of acknowledgment to what a great spinner means and how and why someone like Warne is rated so highly.
I don't think I am doing this at all. Having a great spinner means quite a bit. Having any great bowler means quite a lot in terms of winning matches. What we're comparing is not if Warne was a great bowler, but whether he was a better bowler (in terms of consistently wining games) then the top tier pace bowlers such as Malcolm Marshall.

I'm yet to hear anyone rate a spinner higher than a seamer because spin is harder. If that's your reasoning then that's atrocious.
But its much rarer seeing a great spinner compared to a great fast bowler, and I think its a bit naive to think that doesn't play a huge part. Warne is credited with reviving Leg Spin in cricket (and he did), so he has that going for him too when people rate him. I've no problem with rating him as a Wisden Cricketer - I understand and appreciate the reasons. But a bowler comparable with the top couple of quicks? Not a chance in my mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You don't decipher how much match-winning ability anyone had. It can only ever be guessed at, and people call players "match-winners" in plain wrong-headed ways more regularly than cricket matches are played.

That said, obviously the better one's match figures, the better their influence on the game will have been.

Indipper

State Regular
I've actually watched about 50 of his Tests now. But its hard getting hands on the footage of him in the subcontinent. Suffice it to say, while I haven't watched as much of him as I have of Warne, he was most definitely a huge match winner.
Don't doubt he was, but I think to say that great seamers are superior to great spinners in every case based on a vague quantity like "match-winning ability" is kinda fishy. If you had some elaborate statistics on hand that showed that Marshall/Lillee/Hadlee et al contributed more frequently to innings where the batting side was bowled out below the target or which led to a fairly easy target for their own team than compareable spinners that would be an entirely different thing.

I mean, just saying. :ph34r:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think I am doing this at all. Having a great spinner means quite a bit. Having any great bowler means quite a lot in terms of winning matches. What we're comparing is not if Warne was a great bowler, but whether he was a better bowler (in terms of consistently wining games) then the top tier pace bowlers such as Malcolm Marshall.
Yes, but the question: how did you decipher that Malcolm Marshall is a better match-winner than Warne?

But its much rarer seeing a great spinner compared to a great fast bowler, and I think its a bit naive to think that doesn't play a huge part. Warne is credited with reviving Leg Spin in cricket (and he did), so he has that going for him too when people rate him. I've no problem with rating him as a Wisden Cricketer - I understand and appreciate the reasons. But a bowler comparable with the top couple of quicks? Not a chance in my mind.
Listen, we're talking about people judging their colleagues in ways we cannot understand because we are just not that knowledgeable with regards to the sport. I think you do a panel like that in ESPN, with that many good fast bowlers (many whom are up for the title themselves), and Warne, a disservice by making such simplistic reasoning as to why they rated him better.

Spinners like Warne are rare, but we do have examples like O'Reilly and Grimmett, at least, who're in the same class. Why weren't they rated higher? I think these are the questions you should be asking.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You don't decipher how much match-winning ability anyone had. It can only ever be guessed at, and people call players "match-winners" in plain wrong-headed ways more regularly than cricket matches are played.

That said, obviously the better one's match figures, the better their influence on the game will have been.
Yeah, but which matches and which scenarios? You cannot figure this out through Statsguru and even reading ball-by-ball match comments won't give you the same appreciation.

If it's stats, the it'd fail to explain why so many people rate Lillee as a better match-winner than Marshall, for example.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, but the question: how did you decipher that Malcolm Marshall is a better match-winner than Warne?
He helped his team more than Warne helped his.

Listen, we're talking about people judging their colleagues in ways we cannot understand because we are just not that knowledgeable with regards to the sport. I think you do a panel like that in ESPN, with that many good fast bowlers (many whom are up for the title themselves), and Warne, a disservice by making such simplistic reasoning as to why they rated him better.
I don't think so at all - if anything, I'm saying its not as simplistic as you make it sound (he was simply a better or equal bowler to Marshall).

Spinners like Warne are rare, but we do have examples like O'Reilly and Grimmett, at least, who're in the same class. Why weren't they rated higher? I think these are the questions you should be asking.
Sometimes they are, Bradman rated O'Reilly higher than Warne. Are you going to say he doesn't know about cricket? It doesn't mean he was right about everything, but a lot of players have a different ways of looking at things, which is fine. It's not as clear cut as some people make it out to be. Warne is fresh in our memory - I wonder where he'll be rated twenty years from now.

Oh, and Warne himself rated Tim May as better than Allan Donald. Tony Greig did not have Jack Hobbs in an all time English XI. And you can find a bunch of other examples. I love reading what the players think and respect their opinion, but its not the only, and probably not even the best, way to judge someone.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If it's stats, the it'd fail to explain why so many people rate Lillee as a better match-winner than Marshall, for example.
Lillee was needed much more by Australia than Marshall was needed by the West Indies. The question is if you put Lillee in the West Indies team, and Marshall in the Australian team, would they be different? I'd say most people would admire Marshall as they do Lillee for the same reasons, while Lillee would still rightly be considered one of the best quicks.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What you are saying doesn't make much sense and I can sense an obvious bias against the spinners because by simply watching Marshall bowl it is simply impossible to say that he was a much better match winner than Warne/Murali etc.

What you seem to be forgetting is that He also had the support of 3 other fast bowlers ,who were almost as good as him, supporting him.

Give Warne/Murali 3 spinners as good as them and they will produce better result.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Give Warne/Murali 3 spinners as good as them and they will produce better result.
You are saying if you had (for example):

2 Warne and 2 Murali in an attack, and I had 2 Marshalls and 2 Lillees (for example) in an attack, that the former would do better than a latter? I wish that were possible to test, because I am pretty certain that my attack will win out every single time, under any conditions, against any lineup. Hell, even on turning pitches I'd take the latter.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He helped his team more than Warne helped his.
:laugh:, what? And how did you come to that conclusion? I won't even comment to whether I agree or disagree, but how did you judge the above? Stats? Face value stats are flawed. Two 3/40s are not the same. Game scenarios are not the same. Opposition strength, not the same. Bowling help, not the same.

I don't think so at all - if anything, I'm saying its not as simplistic as you make it sound (he was simply a better or equal bowler to Marshall).
Correct me if I'm wrong, you said Warne is not close to Marshall/a top tier spinner is not close to a top tier paceman. If anything, you're the one making it sound simplistic. What I argued is the opposite, that there are many reasons and yours, as I know them, do not make all that much sense. When comparing your opinion on bowlers and the opinions of those who are the greatest bowlers of all time it is a no contest on who knows more on the subject. And this isn't a side argument that testimonies should be taken as fact, not so. But when many of the greatest pace bowlers of all time rate a spinner as the highest...then you're really struggling to make your argument IMO.

Sometimes they are, Bradman rated O'Reilly higher than Warne. Are you going to say he doesn't know about cricket? It doesn't mean he was right about everything, but a lot of players have a different ways of looking at things, which is fine. It's not as clear cut as some people make it out to be. Warne is fresh in our memory - I wonder where he'll be rated twenty years from now.
Wrong comparison. If Bradman says it, it doesn't make it right. If most batsmen say it, then it's a hard to bring in the bias or the one-offs. Warne, himself, was very close to making the team and just missed out. Unfortunately, Bradman missed Warne's better years.

Oh, and Warne himself rated Tim May as better than Allan Donald. Tony Greig did not have Jack Hobbs in an all time English XI. And you can find a bunch of other examples. I love reading what the players think and respect their opinion, but its not the only, and probably not even the best, way to judge someone.
Again, we are talking about a panel that contains Hadlee, Botham, Holding, Akram and Proctor - there are more names you can add onto there talking in general. We are not talking about just one of them. It's a consensus between a lot of cricketers and particularly pace bowlers. You cannot put it down to one-offs and bias.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
You are saying if you had (for example):

2 Warne and 2 Murali in an attack, and I had 2 Marshalls and 2 Lillees (for example) in an attack, that the former would do better than a latter? I wish that were possible to test, because I am pretty certain that my attack will win out every single time, under any conditions, against any lineup. Hell, even on turning pitches I'd take the latter.
On a spinning track in India pedestrian spinners used to outbowl/outperform some of the great fast bowlers of all time. In 2001 series Harbhajan singh alone won more matches than the famous pace attack of Australia.

Fast bowlers obviously get more help with the new ball, and their superiority with the new ball can not be questioned. But that has more to do with the condition of the ball than with their bowling skills, not saying that bowling skills doesn't matter a lot, just that, it is not a true test.

But in a test match, once the ball is 20-25 overs old, I can safely say that 4 spinners of Warne/Murali caliber are as good as 4 bowles like Marshall/Lillee if not better.