• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Vaughan - England ODI Captain

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
Not sure about this one!
Many people have commented on Vaughan's poor ODI record to date when discussing his elevation to the captaincy. However, this may not be a fair criticism as many of his early caps came at five and six in the order when he clearly prefers opening/first wicket down.
So I decide to look at his domestic limited overs record, which is pretty average to say the least. 1 century and 27 fifties in 190 innings, at an average of only 26.42.
Whilst I have no doubt that Vaughan is the right man to succeed Hussain as Test captain (but hopefully not for some time yet!) I'm not convinced he's any more worth his place in the ODI side than his predecessor.
Nasser's domestic limited overs record, whilst not particularly earth shattering, (8 hundreds and 70 fifties from 330 innings at an average of 35.49) is significantly better.
And of course our very own Banger, who was mentioned in early discussions of the vacancy, is way ahead of Vaughan, with 14 hundreds and 28 fifties at an average of 35.83 from only one more innings.
What are the thoughts of the Somersettalk community on this one?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess he rather blotted his copybook when reading the D/L tables against Namibia.

To be honest, I'd rather see him getting back into batting form.

And as for Vaughan's average - well if you look at his first class average you wouldn't select him in the Test team...

Frome Exile

Cricket Spectator
The Namibia "almost-c**k-up".....

.......certainly didn't do him any favours, I agree.

Vaughan's first class average is pretty respectable (37odd) and his Test average is of course much higher (50). A number of England's best players of the last twenty years had higher Test than FC averages, but this is rarely mirrored in List A versus ODI stats.

Also, in their ten-year careers to date, Vaughan's First class stats are significantly better than Banger's in most departments (30 centuries to 12 for instance).

I guess what would have made more sense to me would have been to name the guy who's first on the team sheet (in whichever form of the game we're discussing) as skipper.

To me that's Trescothick in the one-dayers. Depending on how that went, Vaughan should have got his chance in the longer game when Nasser's finally had enough of that too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well Vaughan and Tres are both very capable batsmen who should be around for many years, so it would have been a hard choice...

Couldnt care less who is captain out of these two, just as long as there are runs for them..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: The Namibia "almost-c**k-up".....

Frome Exile said:
Vaughan's first class average is pretty respectable (37odd) and his Test average is of course much higher (50)
His FC average has been raised significantly due to his Test success. This emphasizes the point that domestic averages can't be used to accurately predict the success at International level. They may however give one an idea of the capabilities of a player.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: The Namibia "almost-c**k-up".....

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
His FC average has been raised significantly due to his Test success. This emphasizes the point that domestic averages can't be used to accurately predict the success at International level. They may however give one an idea of the capabilities of a player.
True, but Vaughan has never hinted at any sort of form in OD games for either England or Yorkshire. Remember that Test and ODIs are 2 totally different games, just because someone is a good Test player doesn't mean they will be a good ODI player, just look at Slater for Australia. And there are plenty of OD players who are not really suited to Test cricket like Ian Harvey and Andy Symonds.

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Captaincy

I agree with Mr Mxyzptlk regarding using domestic cricket as a pointer. Sure its a guide of some sort but Trescothick's county form before playing for England was average and only after he got and took his chance at international level did his Somerset form really kick off. His hundred against Scotland showed how destructive he can be and was a timely reminder after Vaughan's appointment that here's a player that leads by example.
www.somersettalk.co.uk :saint: