View Poll Results: Slow down outfields to counter powerful bats?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in favour

8 22.22%
  • No, against

22 61.11%
  • Don't care

3 8.33%
  • HSBC Sport Accident Cover

3 8.33%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow down outfields?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Slow down outfields?

On the final day of the Lord's Test between England and New Zealand, some MCC reps were testing the speed of the Lord's outfield with whatever those things they use in golf to test the speed of greens and fairways are called. This interested me.

Ian Botham, perhaps not surprisingly, was sceptical - and it must be said one of the suggestions, trying to standardise the speed of outfields, is a horrible idea.

But the other - slowing outfields down - is IMO a very fine idea. People talk about how bats have become better, and Michael Atherton (who has sat on some I$C$C committee which has recently discussed how the balance between bat and ball needs to be addressed) talked earlier about how there has been thought to try and undo the improvements in bat technology.

My question is (and he and David Gower touched on this) - why would you want to deliberately try and undo progress? Why not aim for countering progress in other areas? I've long said people should try and manufacture cricket-balls that swing more.

But this outfield thing strikes me as a fine idea, as I say. To lessen the effect of more powerful bats, which certainly does IMO need to be done, why not just slow the outfields down? Leave the grass longer?

Ian Botham of course brought up the "people want to see fours and sixes". Well, some of the simplistic fools who barely qualify as cricket fans do, maybe. But the increasing disquiet over the bat-friendliness of the game from genuine fans at the current time suggests maybe this view is becoming antiquated.

Would you be in favour of slowing down outfields?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Personally I find that a really sluggish outfield is almost as bad as a lightening quick outfield. In saying that, if it could be manipulated in some way that it still gives value for good shots then its worth a crack I guess.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Injury in sports is an emotive issue

I am for balls that offer 90 degree swing to mediocre trundlers just to counter bats that allow any old slogger a 40+ test average.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Personally I find that a really sluggish outfield is almost as bad as a lightening quick outfield. In saying that, if it could be manipulated in some way that it still gives value for good shots then its worth a crack I guess.
    I think the point is that right now there are too many lightning outfields, and that we need to slow them down to make things more "equal". Not leave every blade of grass so long that it hits the grass and stops.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Increasing the size of the boundary or fixing a minimum of , say, 90 meters to the fence would be even better.

I also feel it might be good to remove this point-of-contact-should-be-in-line-with-stumps business and allow balls pitching outside the off stump and coming in (as long as the umpire is certain beyond doubt that they would hit the stumps) to be declared out irrespective of where the point of contact is.

The no ball rule should revert back to the rear foot.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Increasing the size of the boundary or fixing a minimum of , say, 90 meters to the fence would be even better.
    I agree completely and there's already a directive in place (or being mooted - can't remember which) to enforce this.

However, some grounds are small. And the boundary is already out as far as it can go. For these grounds, a slow outfield is imperative.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    AWTA...This is needed very much...Test cricket viewers won't mind one or two not-so-decent shots going to the boundary between two slips or between two fielders...But mi****s going for sixes will hurt test cricket (and cricket, in general) badly if proper action isn't taken immediately...
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But the other - slowing outfields down - is IMO a very fine idea.
    Terrible idea. You want batsmen to get full value for good shots.

Slow outfields (and Ive played on hundreds of them) promote the aerial route and discourage quality orthodox cricket.

Fast outfields encourage good cricket. Dragging the boundaries out is ok but slowing the outfield is bad.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Indeed you do want batsmen to get value for good shots. But the point is that currently with the power in bats many batsmen get value for shots that aren't good ones - balls that have simply been blocked or nudged, or swung without hitting anywhere near the middle of the bat.

Taking the aerial route brings huge risks and if batsmen started doing that regularly, chances are they'd score much less. So if it did start happening, I'm fairly confident it'd stop again very quickly.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Terrible idea. You want batsmen to get full value for good shots.

Slow outfields (and Ive played on hundreds of them) promote the aerial route and discourage quality orthodox cricket.

Fast outfields encourage good cricket. Dragging the boundaries out is ok but slowing the outfield is bad.
    Completely agreed.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

You're just encouraging power players even further then, as their importance is emphasised over orthodox batsmen. So no.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

That's a fair point, actually.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Slow outfields is probably the most frustrating thing ever for a batsmen. Highly against it. I'd rather green tops but value for your shots than the other way around.

[havnt read any other replies so excuse me if im being repetitive]
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GoT_SpIn View Post
    Slow outfields is probably the most frustrating thing ever for a batsmen.
    Quick outfields are the most frustrating thing for a bowler.

Really not important TBH.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Quick outfields are the most frustrating thing for a bowler.
    Not really

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information