• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slow down outfields?

Slow down outfields to counter powerful bats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Personally, the whole super-charged bat thing is over-blown. They're still wood no matter which way you look at it or how much stuff you add to the handle. I would say changes in technique and training have brought about more of the six-hitting than anything. Batsmen work harder at hitting the ball in the air and are just encouraged to be more attacking these days. It's riskier play but bigger scores gotten quicker are the result.
Nope, sorry, don't buy that at all.

Batsmen themselves (I recall a Symonds interview) have admitted that bat technology in the last 4-5 years, let alone few decades, has come a ridiculously long way.

A change in attitude may have a lot to do with the more aggressive cricket being played, but the EASE with which sixes are hit nowadays (not the necessary frequency) is the issue. Look at McCullum in the first or second over of the first IPL match vs. Bangalore. He went to turn a ball to the on-side and it goes for six over third man. That would not have happened 10 years ago... period, and attitude has nothing to do with that.

Mind you this is separate to the topic of slow/fast outfields.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Modern bats = Big difference.

Twice as thick as they used to be with no difference in pick-up.

Batsmen maybe more aggressive now, but much of that is because they have the tools to do it more effectively than before. The risk/reward of playing that way has changed due to bat technology (amongst other things, that as stated above are seperate issues).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Exactly.

If I can slash at a ball short outside off with the confidence that if I mis-hit it, there is a distinct possibility it'll go over third man's head for 6, I'm more likely to attempt that shot than in the past, where if I don't get it partly in the middle it's going to go straight down his throat.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Don't like this progress business as far as bats are concerned. Bring back the old-school stuff. Want more wood on your bat, deal with the weight.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can't turn back the clock. And as I say, deliberately trying to impede improvements in bat technology or forcing regression feels utterly awful to me and I'd hate to see it done.

What I'd love is to see some improvement in means which helps the bowlers and fielders. I doubt anything can be done to see more catches caught, as if it could be I'm sure it would by now. Though obviously I'd be ecstatic if it could. I've said many times I'd like to see balls that swung (and seamed) more be used. And obviously I'd like general directives that pitches should offer something to seam (and occasionally spin too - though not both at the same time, much as that's almost impossible anyway) most of the time, rather than the general nothingness we've had much of the time of late. Having said this last, there have definately been more between about April 2006 and the current time than there were between September 2001 and March 2006. Still not enough for my liking, though.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope, sorry, don't buy that at all.

Batsmen themselves (I recall a Symonds interview) have admitted that bat technology in the last 4-5 years, let alone few decades, has come a ridiculously long way.
Define 'technology', really. They are weighted differently these days (with corresponding science behind why they're weighted that way) but there are a few things which haven't changed a bit. The bat is still a chunk of willow with a v-shaped cut for splice and handle. The weighting changes are what's causing a bat to pick up differently. I own two pro-level bats; a GN Powerspot from the 80's (with Greg Ritchie's signature on it! Hawt) and an Impala Redback from last year. The Impala is much chunkier yet is easier on the pick-up. The only difference? Where the weight is distributed.

And players may claim they're getting more power but some of the 'advances' I would hazard make very little difference at all and if you're getting told by the bat manufacturer, who is vying for you to use their gear, that the bat they're handing to you is 20% more powerful, if you're a bloke like Symonds you're probably going to believe it. It defies logic and science that chucking some graphite into the handle, when the stress of ball on bat stop at the glue of the handle, will result in more power. Unless you can find some magic bat glue which transfers all vibration from the impact straight to the graphite handle, it's going to do bugger-all. And then, of course, you'd have to invent some method of dampening the impact wave so you don't feel like you're holding onto the batting equivalent of Rolf Harris' wobble board. Speaking of Symonds specifically, the bloke used to hit more sixes with less powerful bats (apparently) and they were just as big.

Think bat makers are above hyperbole to sell bats? How about the Hunts County honeycomb technology?

Wow, what an innovation that was and was promoted as such. So good was it that no other bat manufacturer gave it a go and Hunts stopped after that run of bats were sold. Why? Because it made no bloody difference to the power of the bat whatsoever. Same with the Kooka bats with the graphite back; there's no logical reason why that sort of thing should change the power of the bat positively.

If all bat makers are doing (as I suspect) is putting some scientific inquiry into the optimum shape/weight distribution for bat power then I don't find anything wrong with that. It's not changing the tech of the bat at all. Let us also not forget that pro batsmen are provided with bats by sponsors which are of softer (i.e. much more spring) willow these days because they don't need them to last as they did in the past. Softer willow breaks much easier but hits the ball much harder, after all.

A change in attitude may have a lot to do with the more aggressive cricket being played, but the EASE with which sixes are hit nowadays (not the necessary frequency) is the issue. Look at McCullum in the first or second over of the first IPL match vs. Bangalore. He went to turn a ball to the on-side and it goes for six over third man. That would not have happened 10 years ago... period, and attitude has nothing to do with that.
Come on. How far are the boundaries roped-in? I once saw that model of athleticism and strength David Boon in 1993 edge (note: not middle) a cut for six to a much longer boundary at the Oval and saw both Mark Waugh and Geoff Marsh play the same shot many times.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"And we think Michael Clarke, dressed like a grasshopper, has taken a wonderful diving catch in the long grass at gully."

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Legalise "ball-tampering". Problem solved.

If batsmen can have 100lb bats that weigh a feather, it's madness to not allow the bowler to customise their only weapon.

Son Of Coco

"And we think Stuart Clark has managed to completely dismantle the ball on the way to the crease as he's just bowled Michael Vaughan with a piece of cork after tying the non-striker to the bowler's end stumps with a large amount of string"

social

Define 'technology', really. They are weighted differently these days (with corresponding science behind why they're weighted that way) but there are a few things which haven't changed a bit. The bat is still a chunk of willow with a v-shaped cut for splice and handle. The weighting changes are what's causing a bat to pick up differently. I own two pro-level bats; a GN Powerspot from the 80's (with Greg Ritchie's signature on it! Hawt) and an Impala Redback from last year. The Impala is much chunkier yet is easier on the pick-up. The only difference? Where the weight is distributed.

And players may claim they're getting more power but some of the 'advances' I would hazard make very little difference at all and if you're getting told by the bat manufacturer, who is vying for you to use their gear, that the bat they're handing to you is 20% more powerful, if you're a bloke like Symonds you're probably going to believe it. It defies logic and science that chucking some graphite into the handle, when the stress of ball on bat stop at the glue of the handle, will result in more power. Unless you can find some magic bat glue which transfers all vibration from the impact straight to the graphite handle, it's going to do bugger-all. And then, of course, you'd have to invent some method of dampening the impact wave so you don't feel like you're holding onto the batting equivalent of Rolf Harris' wobble board. Speaking of Symonds specifically, the bloke used to hit more sixes with less powerful bats (apparently) and they were just as big.

If all bat makers are doing (as I suspect) is putting some scientific inquiry into the optimum shape/weight distribution for bat power then I don't find anything wrong with that. It's not changing the tech of the bat at all. Let us also not forget that pro batsmen are provided with bats by sponsors which are of softer (i.e. much more spring) willow these days because they don't need them to last as they did in the past. Softer willow breaks much easier but hits the ball much harder, after all.

Come on. How far are the boundaries roped-in? I once saw that model of athleticism and strength David Boon in 1993 edge (note: not middle) a cut for six to a much longer boundary at the Oval and saw both Mark Waugh and Geoff Marsh play the same shot many times.
A good friend of mine's son is a golf pro.

Recently, he was in town with a representative of his son's club manufacturer.

Whilst I'm pretty much a hack golfer, like many I spend a truckload on clubs in the mistaken belief that the new set will somehow turn me into Tiger Woods and so I got to talking to this chap about club technology.

Bearing in mind that there is far more room to experiment with golf clubs (shafts, head materials, etc), he claimed that it was extremely rare for there to be any improvement at all in club technology and that manufacturers brought out new models simply to satisfy people like me who thought newer must be better and would therefore pay for it.

Given the respective amounts spent by golf and cricket manufacturers on R & D plus the restrictions on bat innovations and degradation of willow stocks, I find it hard to believe that bats have suddenly become quantifiably better than say, 15 years ago.

I stopped playing years ago, and in my time had bats with:

a. scoop(s) out of the back;

b. flat back;

c. holes in them;

d. no shoulders;

e. steel spring;

f. graphite spring;

g. rubber on the outside of spring

Now, after all these years,they've finally settled on a largely conventional design that has vastly improved weight distribution in the average bat

Unfortunately for the conspiracy theorists, even a low level contract player like myself had bats handmade for me and so they were incredibly well balanced. In other words, if mine were good its logical to assume that test batsmen should always have had unbelievably good bats

However, the main things that have changed are:

a. field dimensions have become smaller; and

b. cricket has generally become more attacking

Combine those 2 factors and you'll have more 4s and 6s

BTW, TC, like me you'll probably remember the days when it was far more common to see an all-run 5 than a 6 hit to the straight boundaries at Adelaide Oval.

Administrators have completely changed the character of that ground and many others such as the Oval and the MCG.

Ropes should be a uniform distance from the fence at all grounds. If that results in a 50 metre boundary at Eden Park and a 150 metre one at the Oval, so be it

As for slowing down the outfield - nonsense. Such a move will stack things too heavily in favour of the bowler as the batsman will not be rewarded for good shots and the shine will stay on the ball all day

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whilst I'm pretty much a hack golfer, like many I spend a truckload on clubs in the mistaken belief that the new set will somehow turn me into Tiger Woods and so I got to talking to this chap about club technology.

Bearing in mind that there is far more room to experiment with golf clubs (shafts, head materials, etc), he claimed that it was extremely rare for there to be any improvement at all in club technology and that manufacturers brought out new models simply to satisfy people like me who thought newer must be better and would therefore pay for it.
:-O

You, sir, have diminished my will to live slightly.

BTW, TC, like me you'll probably remember the days when it was far more common to see an all-run 5 than a 6 hit to the straight boundaries at Adelaide Oval.
Adelaide is a decent case in point, actually. There's still the same number of 6's hit (or not, as the case may be) there as there ever was. I've got footage of little Doug Walters, dwarfed by the average cricketer these days, landing a ball on the roof of the Mostyn Evans stand. That was in the 70's and it is still a monster hit. Haven't seen anyone come close to a hit like that since. I heard Hookesy knocked one into the River Torrens (longest boundary on the ground) pre-Bradman Stand but obviously never saw it. Materially, bats just haven't changed that much for many years.

social

:-O

You, sir, have diminished my will to live slightly.

QUOTE]

Really opened my eyes to the reality of the golf industry

We were both playing with a top brand club - him the latest model, mine quite a few years old

He told me to invest in the latest golf balls rather than new clubs as that was where the real advances had been made.

"So why the new models every year?"

"Because tragics like you think believe our marketing and also think that the huge distances the pros hit the ball are due to the clubs not the balls or their swing."

Bastard - nowehere near as much fun looking at golf balls as test hitting the latest clubs

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Independent said:
The main difference between bats of 50 years ago and now is that modern bats are not pressed as hard. Pressing made them harder and less likely to break, but players are no longer worried about wastage. Players of the past were limited to two or three bats a season; now they get as many as they want.

There are several reasons why players want thicker bats. One is visual – they feel more confident about hitting the ball over the top when they look down and see a large chunk of wood there. Thicker edges mean that the margin of error on a mi**** is greater too. But the main reason is that an unpressed bat, where the wood particles are not pressed so close together, seems to have a springier feel to it. The trampoline qualities of it appear to increase, meaning that the ball can be hit huge distances with flicks rather than full-blooded heaves.
My company in SA dealt heavily with MRF and we were the first to see (a year or so ago) the new MRF Slash bat. Ive never seen anything like it. Literally 3 times as thick as one of my bats from the 90s.

Its a huge difference. Middles may not be too different but there is more room than ever for error and a far chunkier feel.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My company in SA dealt heavily with MRF and we were the first to see (a year or so ago) the new MRF Slash bat. Ive never seen anything like it. Literally 3 times as thick as one of my bats from the 90s.

Its a huge difference. Middles may not be too different but there is more room than ever for error and a far chunkier feel.
You mean more MARGIN ....

Flem274*

123/5
You know reading threads like these I'm surprised people on here haven't started a petition to ban batsmen from the game. Sometimes there seems to be a real hatred of them on here.

Slow outfields suck. More swing would be much more prefferable. Same with more bouncers allowed. Both would encourage both batsmen and bowlers to be better rather than be a simple artificial handicap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"And we think Michael Clarke, dressed like a grasshopper, has taken a wonderful diving catch in the long grass at gully."
"And we think Stuart Clark has managed to completely dismantle the ball on the way to the crease as he's just bowled Michael Vaughan with a piece of cork after tying the non-striker to the bowler's end stumps with a large amount of string"
Much as obviously no-one is suggesting grass that long...

:laugh::lol::laugh::lol:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Outfield should be lightening quick, so orthadox batsman can hit fours, but boundries should be distant, at least 90m to eliminate half connected slog going for six. Large outfield will improve running between wickets and fielding and will make cricketers generally more fit.