• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Zennith of each test side

Days of Grace

International Captain
The opposite of 'nadir'. What is the highest point for each test side over their respective histories?

I'll make a weak attempt here to get the ball rolling.

Australia: Beating England in 1948, and also beating England 5-0 in 2006/07
India: Drawing 1-1 with Australia away in 2003/04
New Zealand: winning against Australia away in 1985/86.
West Indies: 'Blackwash' of England away in the mid-1970s.

Keep in mind, I mean 'test' sides. So Pakistan winning the World Cup in 1992 doesn't count.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
England has such a long history, that I decided to not just put Ashes 2005 without giving it some more thought.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
India: Winning consecutive series in West Indies and England in '71 of course.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India drew away to Aus in 2003/04 btw. Small correction.
Can't speak for Indian fans, but I would have thought their recent series wins over Pakistan might be up there, or event he win v England last year when Zaheer boweld so magnificently.

The side which drew 1-1 here was a quality line up though. I just think the attack they faced from Australia wasn't so great. I would have thought their attack out here this time was better too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
English zenith was probably mid 1950's - 3 successive Ashes wins and the eventual win at home to WI confirmed their status as best side in the world.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Can't speak for Indian fans, but I would have thought their recent series wins over Pakistan might be up there, or event he win v England last year when Zaheer boweld so magnificently.
No way...Great performances...But Indian test history has seen much better ones...I feel Pratyush' choice is accurate (the '71 performances)...The 1-1 draw in Australia will probably be 2nd on the list..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The opposite of 'nadir'. What is the highest point for each test side over their respective histories?

I'll make a weak attempt here to get the ball rolling.

Australia: Beating England in 1948, and also beating England 5-0 in 2006/07
India: Drawing 1-1 with Australia away in 2003/04
New Zealand: winning against Australia away in 1985/86.

Keep in mind, I mean 'test' sides. So Pakistan winning the World Cup in 1992 doesn't count.

WI's blackwash in England was in 1984. I wonder if their zenith was actually winning in Aus during 1979/80 to become number 1 side in the world.

SA's would probably be beating Aus 4-0 in their last series before isolation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Twas in 1984 (in England) and 1986 (in West Indies) TBH. In 1976 they hammered us but were unable to win the opening 2 Tests. And I'm fairly sure zenith only has one "n".

Anyway, I'd probably go for...
England - as mentioned, June 1951 to August 1957 (against Test-class teams it was 11 series, 7 victories, 4 draws - less glorious than the zenith of many, it must be said, but still without defeat).
Australia - the 6-and-a-half years, less WWII, of June 1930 to January 1952 (excluding the Bodyline series where illicit tactics were used to down them their record read an astonishing P 65 W 45 D 12 L 8 :blink:). You know what this was, don't you? Yes, the Bradman era for the most part.
South Africa - readmission (April 1992) to January 2002 (30 Test series, 19 victories, 5 draws, 6 defeats - and those defeats were 4 to Australia and 1 in India)
West Indies - March 1976 to April 1986 (said it a few times but they were really rather good - excluding two Packer-afflicted series, they played 16 series, winning 14, drawing 1 legitimately and being cheated into 1 defeat - in this time they lost 4 live Tests out of 71 games :blink: and 1 of these was said cheated-defeat)
India - February 1968 to February 1973 (6 series, 4 victories including 3 away ones, 1 draw and 1 defeat - and they almost certainly had the better side in both of the latter and the draw and defeat were somewhat inexplicable)
New Zealand - February 1981 to March 1987 (13 series, 8 victories, 2 draws, 3 defeats, all the defeats being away)
Less sure about Pakistan and Sri Lanka, and don't think Zimbabwe ever really had one ITBT.

Craig

World Traveller

The side which drew 1-1 here was a quality line up though. I just think the attack they faced from Australia wasn't so great. I would have thought their attack out here this time was better too.
No way...Great performances...But Indian test history has seen much better ones...I feel Pratyush' choice is accurate (the '71 performances)...The 1-1 draw in Australia will probably be 2nd on the list..
Winning in the West Indies and South Africa in the last few years? Pretty good going IMO. 2001 v Australia would have to be up there.

And Richard I think you should also include New Zealand's 1949 tour of England, only lost one game that series and that was a Tour match (it might have been against Leicestershire IIRC). To draw 0-0 against an England side with so many big names is pretty good for mine. I saw a book in New Zealand in 2001 it was about New Zealand cricket and some of its finest moments and the one thing I remember pretty well from that book was that it was included in there.

Flem274*

123/5
Victory>draws.

I started watching in around 2000/01 so I can't really comment. Pretty handy Australian side now though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And Richard I think you should also include New Zealand's 1949 tour of England, only lost one game that series and that was a Tour match (it might have been against Leicestershire IIRC). To draw 0-0 against an England side with so many big names is pretty good for mine. I saw a book in New Zealand in 2001 it was about New Zealand cricket and some of its finest moments and the one thing I remember pretty well from that book was that it was included in there.
True, I suppose. Actually haven't overtly examined that, as I tend not to in the pre-Test-class NZ period.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

IIRC that was the tour when someone decided that 3-day tests would be a good idea. Without denigrating NZ's performances too much, that, along with the state of England's bowling immediately postWW2 means it wasn't quite the achievement it looks 60 years later.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In 1979/80, West Indies toured New Zealand. It's become accepted as pretty much historical fact - I've never heard any Kiwis offer much denial - that the home Umpiring favoured the home team to a very large extent. Some claim bias, some claim incompetance - personally I don't really care, bad decisions are bad decisions. Colin Croft might have been exaggerating just a bit when he said they had to get each NZ batsman 3 times before he was on his way back to the pavilion, but you get the gist.

And NZ won the only one of the three Tests with a result by 1 wicket. So I think we can fairly accurately say that WI were basically cheated out of the series.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
India beating Australia after following on thanks to VVS Laxman was truly brilliant. Probably one of the best moments in Indian test cricket history I've witnessed.

Defeating Australia in Adelaide in 2003 after Rahul Dravid scored 233 and Ajit Agarkar took 6/41 was a terrific moment as well.

jeevan

International 12th Man
For India, seconding (or chorusing) the succesive overseas series wins in 1971.

If India in 2006 had not melted in SA, they had a chance of bettering that. But they didnt.