• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Left hand Doosra?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Given that the standard Slow left arm bowler's delivery turns away from the right hander. What sort of delivery is this

Attachments

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If Vettori were to bowl a Doosra at a right-handed batsman, it'd turn into him.
WHY ?

"Doosra" just means the "other one". Even if a left handed bowler bowled a ball that ptched twice before reaching the batsman, once turning one way and once the other, we/he could call it "a" doosra

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
WHY ?

"Doosra" just means the "other one". Even if a left handed bowler bowled a ball that ptched twice before reaching the batsman, once turning one way and once the other, we/he could call it "a" doosra
In cricket, we usually refer to the off break which goes the other way as a doosra, as I'm sure you know.

On that note, wtf is a teesra?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In cricket, we usually refer to the off break which goes the other way as a doosra, as I'm sure you know.

On that note, wtf is a teesra?
I am waiting for Richard's reply :)

As for 'teesra', well the literal meaning of 'doosra' is not 'other' but 'second' though it is commonly used for other as well. 'Teesra' means third.

'Do' is two and 'doosra' comes from that. 'Teen' is three and hence 'teesra'.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I knew that but I've heard of a delivery called a teesra.
I think it came from Harbhajan's (I think it was him not sure) claim once that he was working on a new delivery and the press termed it as 'teesra'. Maybe Harbhajan was referring to the 'back-of-the-hand' delivery he delivered to Sreesanth :)

PS : I remember now it was saqlain who made that claim.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Given that the standard Slow left arm bowler's delivery turns away from the right hander. What sort of delivery is this
All that having been said the main question in my first post is yet to be answered. What sort of delivery is that which gets the guy out in the video in the compressed folder?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
All that having been said the main question in my first post is yet to be answered. What sort of delivery is that which gets the guy out in the video in the compressed folder?
It does not open on my IMac

bond21

Banned
A doosra is a reverse off spinner, just as a slower ball is a reverse faster ball and a cut shot is a reverse pull shot.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Rangana Herath of SL used it back in 1998 to good use against Aussies, especially Ponting and S. Waugh. I think Iverson was the first to use that delivery. The orthadox fingerspin ball is flicked out of the middle finger to make it spin the other way. Currently Ajantha Mendis of SL use it (despite he's a rigth hander, his method is different to Murali and Saqlain).In the video clip you'll see how it is released. Note that Medis has a third variety as well whch is flicked using the thumb and the index finger. (Around 00.30 mark in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPpItfkdcGU&feature=related

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WHY ?

I know what "Doosra" means - but like "Googly" and "Flipper" it's now come to mean a specific ball in cricket terms - the fingerspinner's ball that goes the other way with minimal change in action.

It was bowled for 40-odd years before it was given the name by Moin Khan and Saqlain Mushtaq. Jack Iverson, as mentioned, first used the ball in the 1950/51 Ashes. He was copied by Jack Gleeson. Recently, Alex Loudon has bowled this type of ball for the first time in yonks. The other type, that bowled by Saqlain and Harbhajan recently, and reputedly by the likes of Daniel Cullen and Shaftab Khalid (who has now disappeared), was probably first bowled by Eripalli Prasanna in the 1970s.

You know all this, of course.

But the Doosra is now an English cricket term as well as a Hindi\Urdu word. It is as specific a ball as the Googly or the Flipper.

I'd actually forgotten that a left-arm fingerspinner had already used the ball - Herath in 1999/2000.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wonder how many have started bowling the ball at 26 years of age?

Iverson was one of those late developers (was a wicketkeeper until his late-20s or something) in general, but apart from him I think they all bowled it much younger.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I only started bowling to bowl regularly this off season and I'm 23. Will be pretty much 24 before I bowl it in game. Does that put me in the old or young catergory? ;)

I could actually bowl it before, but I wanted to work on my off break, arm ball and toppie before I focused on the doorsa. Most spinners regardless of what level they play are the same. Herath for example has said he wouldn't have tired to bowl it if hadn't had 5 years of domestic cricket behind him and had got his other balls the level he wanted first. Suraj also knows how to bowl the ball, but wants to work on his off break more before he perfects the doorsa. It not that surprising most bowlers don't bowl it much until they are older. Cullen rarely bowls it matches these days.