• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Left hand Doosra?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So is the delivery in the video and the youtube link a Doosra?:huh:
Impossible to say given the angle etc but it could just be an armball as it goes early in the air and keeps going.

That would be my guess anyway though Im not saying that its correct.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Impossible to say given the angle etc but it could just be an armball as it goes early in the air and keeps going.

Not sure about that, there is pretty big difference between Herath's arm ball and his doorsa, especially bowling to left hand batsmen. One does straight on, the other actually turns a bit away from the bat of left hander or into right handers. He actually spins his doorsa more then his off break. But like a lot of left arm spinners ATM, he doesn't bowl it very often. As he himself admitts he doesn't land it where he wants to enough. I doubt there is YouTube of left arm finger spinner bowling a doorsa, as no one bowls it regularly in matches yet or plays regularly in the Test or ODI side.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure about that, there is pretty big difference between Herath's arm ball and his doorsa, especially bowling to left hand batsmen. One does straight on, the other actually turns a bit away from the bat of left hander or into right handers. He actually spins his doorsa more then his off break. But like a lot of left arm spinners ATM, he doesn't bowl it very often. As he himself admitts he doesn't land it where he wants to enough. I doubt there is YouTube of left arm finger spinner bowling a doorsa, as no one bowls it regularly in matches yet or plays regularly in the Test or ODI side.
Herath's case I think he has clearly lost confidence in himself. In 1998/9 series he was the most confident bowler out of both sides, and as a result bowled some bamboozling doosras to Australians, and Ponting and S. Waugh in particular were groping to lay bat on him. Then step-motherly treatment by selectors (like bringing Bandara in to the side, who is clearly a lesser bowler than Herath) saw him losing his confidence. Although he was very accurate, it was pathetic to see himrolling the ball out of his and in last WI tour than ripping it, which he is really capable of.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Herath's case I think he has clearly lost confidence in himself. In 1998/9 series he was the most confident bowler out of both sides, and as a result bowled some bamboozling doosras to Australians, and Ponting and S. Waugh in particular were groping to lay bat on him. Then step-motherly treatment by selectors (like bringing Bandara in to the side, who is clearly a lesser bowler than Herath) saw him losing his confidence. Although he was very accurate, it was pathetic to see himrolling the ball out of his and in last WI tour than ripping it, which he is really capable of.
The reason why he was dropped was that he wasn't putting big hauls together for Sri Lanka A. Whereas Bandara had one massive series, then a better then average start to his International career and then a decent county stint. All the time Bandara was in NT squad. Herath was in the Sri Lanka A side was getting out bowled by Chandana, Lokuarachchi and Weerakoon.

If it wasn't for the fact that Chandana retired, Lokuarachchi was coming back from injury, and Mendis & Senanayake were seen as too inexperienced he wouldn't have made the squad, as he hadn't had the performances to warrant a recall.

The fact that he kept getting selected for Sri Lanka A and even got a recall when others were playing better. Shows that Herath has had as many chances as any other bowler. He just never has made the most of it yet.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason why he was dropped was that he wasn't putting big hauls together for Sri Lanka A. Whereas Bandara had one massive series, then a better then average start to his International career and then a decent county stint. All the time Bandara was in NT squad. Herath was in the Sri Lanka A side was getting out bowled by Chandana, Lokuarachchi and Weerakoon.

If it wasn't for the fact that Chandana retired, Lokuarachchi was coming back from injury, and Mendis & Senanayake were seen as too inexperienced he wouldn't have made the squad, as he hadn't had the performances to warrant a recall.

The fact that he kept getting selected for Sri Lanka A and even got a recall when others were playing better. Shows that Herath has had as many chances as any other bowler. He just never has made the most of it yet.
I think on overseas tours, Herath bow;ed better than rest of our spinners. Weerakoon on good tracks looked very benign. Lokuarachchi cannot turn it and even my grandpa would not be threatend by his spin bowling. Sachithra Senanayake came to the fore front since two seasons, and so is Mendis.

Herath took truck loads of wickets in A tours, but he was not even picked to the SL squad over Bandara.That infamous Indian tour showed how poor was Bandara in test matches with his flat bowling (In india, flat spinners are the ones who do well). Bandara lacks elements to be a test bowler ( basically cannot turn it more than a foot. Leggie should at least turn it one and half feet on a good length). Herath has all of them. We cannot expect a tchnically deficient player to excell in un helpful conditions to him. I personally feel Herath was not given enough chances, especially after the Pakistan tour where he bowled SL to a win when Murali was out injured.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think on overseas tours, Herath bow;ed better than rest of our spinners. Weerakoon on good tracks looked very benign. Lokuarachchi cannot turn it and even my grandpa would not be threatend by his spin bowling. Sachithra Senanayake came to the fore front since two seasons, and so is Mendis.

Herath took truck loads of wickets in A tours, but he was not even picked to the SL squad over Bandara.That infamous Indian tour showed how poor was Bandara in test matches with his flat bowling (In india, flat spinners are the ones who do well). Bandara lacks elements to be a test bowler ( basically cannot turn it more than a foot. Leggie should at least turn it one and half feet on a good length). Herath has all of them. We cannot expect a tchnically deficient player to excell in un helpful conditions to him. I personally feel Herath was not given enough chances, especially after the Pakistan tour where he bowled SL to a win when Murali was out injured.
On overseas tours all the spinners bowled poor recently and has been one of main reasons why Sri Lanka A haven't won many matches outside Asia. Really if you picking players on semi decent performances at A level your wasting your time. Herath hasn't taken truck loads of wickets for Sri Lanka A for a long time and especially during the period that Bandara was selected in the national squad.

I don't see what difference it makes is a leg spinner doesn't spin the ball that much, as Herath himself hardly gets much turn on the ball at all and even less then Lokuarachchi and Bandara. Chamara Silva spins the bowl a mile, should he be our front line spinner?

Overall Herath basically had a similar career to Bandara and Lokuarachchi. He had some selective good performances and shown potential, but more often then not he has underperfomed, especially away from home. The only real difference is that his poor performances have been for Sri Lanka A, not the national team.

Don't get me wrong Herath is a good bowler, but at his best he is contributor. He bowled at his best with a 2nd spinner at the other end for Sri Lanka A. He has never really bowled well as the main spinner in the attack. Bandara not a great bowler, but has more ability to perform a role as a front line spinner. At national team level your going to come across a lot of pitches that only need one spinner.

But hopefully Mendis comes through and we are just looking for 2nd spinners. As neither will very be good enough long term as main spinner.

Efaz

U19 12th Man

I also think it was an armer.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WHY ?

"Doosra" just means the "other one". Even if a left handed bowler bowled a ball that ptched twice before reaching the batsman, once turning one way and once the other, we/he could call it "a" doosra
I think you'll find the correct terminology would be "wrong doosra".