cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 more zimbabwean quit

International Captain

2 more zimbabwean quit

The gentle exodus of players from Zimbabwe continues with news that Gary Brent and Terry Duffin are believed to have quit international cricket.

Brent, 32, played 70 one-day internationals and four Tests for Zimbabwe but was increasingly at odds with the board, and was one of the rebels who went on strike following the sacking of Heath Streak as captain in 2004. Although he did make a comeback, he is said to have grown frustrated with the attitude of the national selectors and last month gave notice on his contract.

Duffin, 26, was Zimbabwe's captain until 2006 and played 23 ODIs and two Tests. His last major match was during the 2007 World Cup and since then he has struggled with injury, although he represented Zimbabwe Provinces in South Africa as well as Southerns in the domestic Twenty20 tournament in March.

It is thought that he applied for the board's permission to play club cricket in England but this was refused, even though he is not in the main national squad. Duffin travelled to England anyway where he is playing for Winsley in Wiltshire, and it is reported that he will go to New Zealand rather than return to Zimbabwe at the end of the season.

Terry Duffin to play for New Zealand anyone?

Still young enough to qualify.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Would be surprised if he played FC cricket in NZ
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Terry Duffin to play for New Zealand anyone?

Still young enough to qualify.
    He's been dispicably bad in some really low level cricket since his return from injury though. He had a run of ducks in the South African domestic comp too (sub-franchise-level..).

In reality, he has an okay technique, but he really lacks the class to play international cricket, even for Zimbabwe. I don't think he'll even manage to cement himself a spot in a First Class lineup TBH. The move will be Dion Ebrahim-esque I'd say - he's been in New Zealand for a few years now too.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Sad to see, really. I thought maybe a corner had been turned with Ray Price's return to the fold, but it looks to be just another false dawn.

I think it's time to abandon the pretence Zimbabwe are a test nation now. The status should be earned, rather than being a mere political expedient.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Brexit is the Tory party's baby; it's been a long and painful labour and, at the very last minute, they've sh@t all over it.'" - Frankie Boyle

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NZTailender's Avatar
    Would Zimbabwe still be test class even without the player exodus? They'd be above Bangladesh at least.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Don't know why anyone even has the suggestion of surprise TBH.

While Zimbabwe remains in the hands of Zanu PF, very little can really go right.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    He's been dispicably bad in some really low level cricket since his return from injury though. He had a run of ducks in the South African domestic comp too (sub-franchise-level..).

In reality, he has an okay technique, but he really lacks the class to play international cricket, even for Zimbabwe. I don't think he'll even manage to cement himself a spot in a First Class lineup TBH. The move will be Dion Ebrahim-esque I'd say - he's been in New Zealand for a few years now too.
    Dion Ebrahim plays for Taranaki, a sub-region (and the greatest) of Central Districts. If Ebrahim can't get a FC spot (surprisingly, though he does have to compete with arguably the best batting line up in the country) then I doubt Duffin can.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Cripes, I mean obviously Ebrahim was never remotely good but if he seriously can't even get into a New Zealand First-Class side...

I once wondered whether he might make a decent county player.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Cripes, I mean obviously Ebrahim was never remotely good but if he seriously can't even get into a New Zealand First-Class side...

I once wondered whether he might make a decent county player.
    The biggest insult to him is he plays for Hawera in the Taranaki club comp. Unsurpringly he's their best batsman by far but thats like saying "I'm BLE, the best of all the CW trolls."

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Hahahahahaha!!! I had no idea Ebrahim was in NZ... And he can't get into a team which had Tim Lythe opening at one point this year (or is my memory playing tricks with me - not sure)??

I'm sure Phlegm will tell you that Peter Ingram's a decent player, but at the start of last season he couldn't buy a run for Central and got dropped... AND STILL no game time for Ebrahim!!
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Hahahahahaha!!! I had no idea Ebrahim was in NZ... And he can't get into a team which had Tim Lythe opening at one point this year (or is my memory playing tricks with me - not sure)??

I'm sure Phlegm will tell you that Peter Ingram's a decent player, but at the start of last season he couldn't buy a run for Central and got dropped... AND STILL no game time for Ebrahim!!
    Ah Tim Lythe. No idea why he was opening when Barnett, Hay, Weston, Griggs, Sinclair (I think he was still here then) were available. Gun player though, mainly because of his amazing comback from cancer.

I think Griggs batted at three once or twice too.

Pinga is a decent player Heath he got into NZ emerging players at least after all and scored a century at the great batting wicket of Napier when How, Taylor etc all got fifties.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Pinga is a decent player Heath he got into NZ emerging players at least after all and scored a century at the great batting wicket of Napier when How, Taylor etc all got fifties.
    You're getting me wrong here. I quite like Ingram as a batsman, but his poor form at the start of 06/07 nearly saw him quit the game, after being unceremoniously dumped by Central and thrown back to the Taranaki. Apparently, Weston really helped him out of the slump... My point was, even when Ingram was dropped, Ebrahim still couldn't get a game. Sad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Sad to see, really. I thought maybe a corner had been turned with Ray Price's return to the fold, but it looks to be just another false dawn.

I think it's time to abandon the pretence Zimbabwe are a test nation now. The status should be earned, rather than being a mere political expedient.
    Your right and I agree with you, but if it didn't happen in 2003 and 2004 then it won't happen now

Dion Ebrahim and Gavin Ewing moved to New Zealand late last year according to the article on Cricinfo dated October 1. How did Ewing go?
    Last edited by Craig; 18-05-2008 at 03:17 AM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    You're getting me wrong here. I quite like Ingram as a batsman, but his poor form at the start of 06/07 nearly saw him quit the game, after being unceremoniously dumped by Central and thrown back to the Taranaki. Apparently, Weston really helped him out of the slump... My point was, even when Ingram was dropped, Ebrahim still couldn't get a game. Sad, really.
    Would have thought Central would have taken a look at him. IIRC there was something in the paper about him wanting to take up coaching. He was the player/captain/coach for Hawera last season I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information