• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2 more zimbabwean quit

brockley

International Captain
The gentle exodus of players from Zimbabwe continues with news that Gary Brent and Terry Duffin are believed to have quit international cricket.

Brent, 32, played 70 one-day internationals and four Tests for Zimbabwe but was increasingly at odds with the board, and was one of the rebels who went on strike following the sacking of Heath Streak as captain in 2004. Although he did make a comeback, he is said to have grown frustrated with the attitude of the national selectors and last month gave notice on his contract.

Duffin, 26, was Zimbabwe's captain until 2006 and played 23 ODIs and two Tests. His last major match was during the 2007 World Cup and since then he has struggled with injury, although he represented Zimbabwe Provinces in South Africa as well as Southerns in the domestic Twenty20 tournament in March.

It is thought that he applied for the board's permission to play club cricket in England but this was refused, even though he is not in the main national squad. Duffin travelled to England anyway where he is playing for Winsley in Wiltshire, and it is reported that he will go to New Zealand rather than return to Zimbabwe at the end of the season.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Terry Duffin to play for New Zealand anyone? :)

Still young enough to qualify.
He's been dispicably bad in some really low level cricket since his return from injury though. He had a run of ducks in the South African domestic comp too (sub-franchise-level..).

In reality, he has an okay technique, but he really lacks the class to play international cricket, even for Zimbabwe. I don't think he'll even manage to cement himself a spot in a First Class lineup TBH. The move will be Dion Ebrahim-esque I'd say - he's been in New Zealand for a few years now too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sad to see, really. I thought maybe a corner had been turned with Ray Price's return to the fold, but it looks to be just another false dawn.

I think it's time to abandon the pretence Zimbabwe are a test nation now. The status should be earned, rather than being a mere political expedient.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Would Zimbabwe still be test class even without the player exodus? They'd be above Bangladesh at least.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't know why anyone even has the suggestion of surprise TBH.

While Zimbabwe remains in the hands of Zanu PF, very little can really go right.

Flem274*

123/5
He's been dispicably bad in some really low level cricket since his return from injury though. He had a run of ducks in the South African domestic comp too (sub-franchise-level..).

In reality, he has an okay technique, but he really lacks the class to play international cricket, even for Zimbabwe. I don't think he'll even manage to cement himself a spot in a First Class lineup TBH. The move will be Dion Ebrahim-esque I'd say - he's been in New Zealand for a few years now too.
Dion Ebrahim plays for Taranaki, a sub-region (and the greatest) of Central Districts. If Ebrahim can't get a FC spot (surprisingly, though he does have to compete with arguably the best batting line up in the country) then I doubt Duffin can.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cripes, I mean obviously Ebrahim was never remotely good but if he seriously can't even get into a New Zealand First-Class side...

I once wondered whether he might make a decent county player. :mellow:

Flem274*

123/5
Cripes, I mean obviously Ebrahim was never remotely good but if he seriously can't even get into a New Zealand First-Class side...

I once wondered whether he might make a decent county player. :mellow:
The biggest insult to him is he plays for Hawera in the Taranaki club comp. Unsurpringly he's their best batsman by far but thats like saying "I'm BLE, the best of all the CW trolls."

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Hahahahahaha!!! I had no idea Ebrahim was in NZ... And he can't get into a team which had Tim Lythe opening at one point this year (or is my memory playing tricks with me - not sure)??

I'm sure Phlegm will tell you that Peter Ingram's a decent player, but at the start of last season he couldn't buy a run for Central and got dropped... AND STILL no game time for Ebrahim!!

Flem274*

123/5
Hahahahahaha!!! I had no idea Ebrahim was in NZ... And he can't get into a team which had Tim Lythe opening at one point this year (or is my memory playing tricks with me - not sure)??

I'm sure Phlegm will tell you that Peter Ingram's a decent player, but at the start of last season he couldn't buy a run for Central and got dropped... AND STILL no game time for Ebrahim!!
Ah Tim Lythe. No idea why he was opening when Barnett, Hay, Weston, Griggs, Sinclair (I think he was still here then) were available. Gun player though, mainly because of his amazing comback from cancer.

I think Griggs batted at three once or twice too.:dry:

Pinga is a decent player Heath:p he got into NZ emerging players at least after all and scored a century at the great batting wicket of Napier when How, Taylor etc all got fifties.:happy:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pinga is a decent player Heath:p he got into NZ emerging players at least after all and scored a century at the great batting wicket of Napier when How, Taylor etc all got fifties.:happy:
You're getting me wrong here. I quite like Ingram as a batsman, but his poor form at the start of 06/07 nearly saw him quit the game, after being unceremoniously dumped by Central and thrown back to the Taranaki. Apparently, Weston really helped him out of the slump... My point was, even when Ingram was dropped, Ebrahim still couldn't get a game. Sad, really.

Craig

World Traveller
Sad to see, really. I thought maybe a corner had been turned with Ray Price's return to the fold, but it looks to be just another false dawn.

I think it's time to abandon the pretence Zimbabwe are a test nation now. The status should be earned, rather than being a mere political expedient.
Your right and I agree with you, but if it didn't happen in 2003 and 2004 then it won't happen now :@

Dion Ebrahim and Gavin Ewing moved to New Zealand late last year according to the article on Cricinfo dated October 1. How did Ewing go?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
You're getting me wrong here. I quite like Ingram as a batsman, but his poor form at the start of 06/07 nearly saw him quit the game, after being unceremoniously dumped by Central and thrown back to the Taranaki. Apparently, Weston really helped him out of the slump... My point was, even when Ingram was dropped, Ebrahim still couldn't get a game. Sad, really.
Would have thought Central would have taken a look at him. IIRC there was something in the paper about him wanting to take up coaching. He was the player/captain/coach for Hawera last season I think.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dion Ebrahim plays for Taranaki, a sub-region (and the greatest) of Central Districts. If Ebrahim can't get a FC spot (surprisingly, though he does have to compete with arguably the best batting line up in the country) then I doubt Duffin can.
I actually think Duffin is better than Ebrahim. However, I agree.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah Tim Lythe. No idea why he was opening when Barnett, Hay, Weston, Griggs, Sinclair (I think he was still here then) were available. Gun player though, mainly because of his amazing comback from cancer.

I think Griggs batted at three once or twice too.:dry:

Sinclair was playing against Bangladesh when Lythe was opening UIMM.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your right and I agree with you, but if it didn't happen in 2003 and 2004 then it won't happen now :@

Dion Ebrahim and Gavin Ewing moved to New Zealand late last year according to the article on Cricinfo dated October 1. How did Ewing go?
Ewing too? ITSTL. He actually did look like he could bat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ewing too? ITSTL. He actually did look like he could bat.
Ewing was a strange case. He has an excellent First Class batting record and looked quite talented with the bat on the occassions I saw him, but his province batted him at 8 and 9. This was in the same competition Blessing Mahwire found himself as high as #6 in at the time. Politics quite obviously at play.