• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daniel vettori or Monty Panesar?

Who's better Daniel Vettori or Monty Panesar?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmmm. Vettori in ODIs, without a shadow of a doubt. In Tests it is slightly more difficult, I'd say they are about even ATM.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vettori by a million miles in ODIs and a fairly small margin in Tests.

MSP can probably spin the ball a little bit more (not as much as some seem to think) and Vettori is currently a far more skillful flight bowler.

That could change as MSP is 3 years younger than DLV, but right now it's the Kiwi man every time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Panesar in tests just, but it's a non-question really because Vettori's whole package is infinitely superior so would go for him if I where picking a team every time.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Any coincidence Im in a bad mood IRL and my broken arm is killing me and Im doing a lot of criticism of bowlers today? :)

Anyway, Id take Monty as a Test bowler but I have a relatively low opinion of both as Test match bowlers.

Last edited:

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Dan by a mile, in both forms, althought he is not the biggest turner of the ball, his flight and variation is amazing, monty is still developing as a spin bowler and should get better.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I actually chose Monty - i assumed this was tests

I feel Monty is more of a wicket taker so i chose him

Debris

International 12th Man
I cannot think of any possible circumstance under which I would pick Monty over Vettori.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
but I have a relatively low opinion of both as Test match bowlers.
Watching Monty bowl, he seems pretty average - but he does get the returns in the end.

(PS: Could you please check out my clips in the coaching forum (in the stickied thread), if it is not too any trouble whatsoever)

shortpitched713

International Captain
As a Test match bowler, I would have to go Monty.

Little hard on Monty to compare him to as established a ODI bowler as Vettori, but Vettori is miles ahead in that category at this stage.

Went by the normal CW rule and assumed the OP was talking about Tests as it was not stated otherwise. :p

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Monty. Vettori has better control, but Monty turns it more and has a better disguised arm ball.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori all the way. Panesar was useless even on spinning tracks last time he came to SL. Vettori would have done much better than that gainst good players of spin if he had the same conditions and have done well in the past as well)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I cannot think of any possible circumstance under which I would pick Monty over Vettori.
Ditto. Obviously am biased towards Vettori so trying to put that aside, IMO his bowling experience and ability in all forms of the game are currently superior to Panesar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vettori all the way. Panesar was useless even on spinning tracks last time he came to SL. Vettori would have done much better than that gainst good players of spin if he had the same conditions and have done well in the past as well)
Yeah, precisely. Vettori hasn't had that many chances to bowl on turning pitches in the subcontinent, but he's been pretty excellent when he has.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pretty harsh comparison considering how long Vettori's been playing at the top level and honing his craft. MSP on the other hand is still in that process, trying to find more tricks to add to his arsenal.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I voted for Vettori in this battle yesterday after a reasonably prolonged decision-making process, but in all honesty today after his double-wicket maiden a few minutes ago I'd probably vote for him against almost anyone in a flash. :laugh:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I voted for Vettori in this battle yesterday after a reasonably prolonged decision-making process, but in all honesty today after his double-wicket maiden a few minutes ago I'd probably vote for him against almost anyone in a flash. :laugh:
I voted for him, and then 30secs later he got the 1st wicket. :cool: