View Poll Results: Are the great players born or made?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Born

5 22.73%
  • Made

10 45.45%
  • A boys best friend is his mother.

7 31.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are people naturally talented or is it developed?

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

Are people naturally talented or is it developed?

Lets use the case of Don Bradman undoubtably the greatest batsmen to grace the game but how much of that was natural talent. Can we just say that the reason he was so brilliant was because he was just born with the skill or did he develop it. It also goes into a lot of other aspects of life. Was Pele naturally gifted at football? Is Warren Buffet naturally gifted with business? But lets concentrate on cricket are the great players born or made. Personally I believe that if you're lucky enough to be young and normal you have every chance to be as good or better than Bradman if you work and work.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Obviously it is a mixture of both, but natural talent makes up a vast amount of what makes somebody successful. I mean, I could 12 hours a day, 365 days a year for the next 15 years and I still wouldn't be anywere near county standard, let alone international.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Obviously it is a mixture of both, but natural talent makes up a vast amount of what makes somebody successful. I mean, I could 12 hours a day, 365 days a year for the next 15 years and I still wouldn't be anywere near county standard, let alone international.
    Beg to differ, how old are you? 15 or something isn't it? If you did that there's every chance you can make something of it.

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Beg to differ, how old are you? 15 or something isn't it? If you did that there's every chance you can make something of it.
    Yeah, I'm 15. I used to be play at a reasonably good standard, but I seem to have lost all my natural batting talent for some reason, I am pretty average now.

It's a nice idea that everyone can make it big time, if they have the dedication and will, but in real life, it doesn't really work like that. A few people manage to, through good luck and hard work, as well as being very skilled at the same time, but it's a one in a million chance.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Yeah, I'm 15. I used to be play at a reasonably good standard, but I seem to have lost all my natural batting talent for some reason, I am pretty average now.

It's a nice idea that everyone can make it big time, if they have the dedication and will, but in real life, it doesn't really work like that. A few people manage to, through good luck and hard work, as well as being very skilled at the same time, but it's a one in a million chance.
    Aah thats another point.

Curveball Champion!
    Yeah obviously it isn't just as simple as saying it's either born or made, remember that.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    there are some aspects to cricket that you will be born with - hand-eye coordination, athleticism, etc. that are required to be a good player.

at the same time though, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to turn raw, natural talent into great players.

Yes I think its a clear mix of the two. You can be the most talented player in the world but if you lack the necessary hard and work and discipline to help develop your natural skills, you ain't gonna make it, and vica versa.

99% made, 1% born

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    That's a bit optimistic. I would say about 70% born, 30% made. You have to have the natural talent, and then its up to you to harness it. Many are born with that talent, but few get to the very top. Regardless, you can't do much if the basic physical abilities are not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    No way of putting percentages on it, and no way of saying anything is one thing or the other. There's loads of stuff where one slips into the other.

There's one or two things that are completely 100% natural, born, which cannot be improved by any means. In cricket terms, height is one of these things. But these are very few.

There's other things which have a very distinct "maximum" but can be trained more than some people might think: calibre of eye and speed of arm being the most notable two in cricket terms.

There's some things that are very mixed - the ability to concentrate. This can be trained plenty, but it's the main part of batting and if everyone could do it to the same maximum extent then everyone would be as good as Geoff Boycott.

Then there are some things - like batting and bowling technique - which are obviously to a large extent hone-able, but there's some things that get stuck and you can try with all your might to change them, thinking "I should be able to do this" and not be able to. So it's natural - and there's the element of luck in terms of what comes first to you being good or bad is sometimes difficult to change.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    There's some things that are very mixed - the ability to concentrate. This can be trained plenty, but it's the main part of batting and if everyone could do it to the same maximum extent then everyone would be as good as Geoff Boycott.
    Not giving our man enough credit there, one would think.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    99% made, 1% born
    Ah Thomas Edison over there.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Not giving our man enough credit there, one would think.
    Boycs? Nah, giving him full credit. So many people think to learn to play like he did would only take lots of hard work. True, Boycs was more dedicated than most, but there's still no way any half-decent club batsman could do the work he did and be anything close to as good as him.

One of very few who did anything remotely similar was Mark Hunter Richardson, and he wasn't even close to being in Boycott's class.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Im not sure if people know that Boycs was a very ordinary fielder in his youth. It was a real weakness and he worked hard and applied himself to becoming a very good fielder.

Obviously not in the athletic Collingwood style but as reliable and dependable as they came.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information