• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are people naturally talented or is it developed?

Are the great players born or made?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Basically, you can't do it without both of them. You need to be naturally talented, but if you don't work, then it won't happen. And as Sam said, if you don't have the natural talent to play pro, then it's not gonna happen...
FFS, your first-post-of-pages are really starting to annoy me now - every time I always think there's a quote from me in there, because you have that bloody thing as the first line in your sig. :dry:

cover drive man

International Captain
Bradman used to practise for hours with a golf ball and cricket stump when he was a lad (stop making up your own jokes at the back please), that must have aided the developement of his hand/eye co-ordination and reflexes.
Yeah, tried that once, kitchen window will never be the same.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, as Pasag's link points out, you cannot deny the influence of genes. There is an upper limit imposed on us by our genes, and there is not much we can do about it. But as it also points out, you can't underestimate the environment either, in all aspects. However, in the end, the environment can only do so much to improve my hand eye coordination if I don't have the appropriate genes to allow it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a mixture of both. But some are born with more talent. I have long and strong fingers and could rip it a yard. But I cannot see how a person be made in to that mould.

Flem274*

123/5
It all depends on making the most of what you've got. Richardson and Boycott had spreme determination but not much else but they used what they had to full capacity.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It all depends on making the most of what you've got. Richardson and Boycott had spreme determination but not much else but they used what they had to full capacity.
So the ability to see, track and react in time to quick bowling isn't an array of skills too? Just because Boycs didn't play a huge number of shots later in his career, doesn't mean he didn't have them. Wouldn't have scored 117 FC tons otherwise.

Basically, there's a certain skill set you need to play top level cricket as a batsman even if you're going to defend every ball and there's no way around that; if you don't possess the neuromuscular skills to do the above, you simply won't be able to react in time. There's only a certain percentage of the population who possess these skills.

Flem274*

123/5
So the ability to see, track and react in time to quick bowling isn't an array of skills too? Just because Boycs didn't play a huge number of shots later in his career, doesn't mean he didn't have them. Wouldn't have scored 117 FC tons otherwise.

Basically, there's a certain skill set you need to play top level cricket as a batsman even if you're going to defend every ball and there's no way around that; if you don't possess the neuromuscular skills to do the above, you simply won't be able to react in time. There's only a certain percentage of the population who possess these skills.
Oh yeah certainly you need some semblance of talent otherwise I could be a batsman (hint: I'm not). However if you have the required ability for FC/International cricket then if you make the most of what you have, whether its superb reflexes or just plain bloody mindedness, then you'll go alright provided your technique is passable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Haha, neuromuscular, what an awesome word.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In addition to one of the greatest Domestic List A innings in a Natioanl final.

Its possible that Boycotts dedication and pressure felt as the key wicket for England and Yorkshire actually prevented him expressing himself how he was capable of doing.