• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ross Taylor being overhyped as a Test player?

Is Ross Taylor being overhyped at test level?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I think it's because of how well he performed last series, slowly establishing himself as a bona fide top order batsman since Fleming, that to come out like that, playing 20 20 in the first innings of his first test match since that series... gets fan's blood boiling. :@
Pfft. It's just one innings.

Prince: WTF??

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kinda off-topic but Fulton should be seen as a 3 and NOTHING else. He's been saying he wants to be 3 for a long long time (even during his awesome form two seasons ago).

Give the guy a break, I don't know why he's always seen as the automatic candidate for batting in every single position in the top 7.

Find someone else for 4, and Taylor at 5, McCullum at 6.

I do agree Fulton should be ahead of Flynn. In fact, why not shift McCullum to 4, he's our best batsman atm. Plus with his stance, it's suited to take the seamers on before the medium pacers and spinners come on. (wicket keeper to stumps)

How
opener revolving door policy
Fulton
McCullum
Taylor
Flynn/Ryder
Marshall should most certainly be ahead of Flynn.

And as much as Fulton is a #3 at First Class level and enjoys batting there, I wouldn't consider him there unless he fixed up that technical fault he has where he tries to "Laxman" the ball on off and gets bowled. It doesn't fill me with the greatest confidence in him at 4 either, but I think the effect of it would be minimised there.

I'd be looking at something like this eventually:
3. Marshall
4. Fulton / Ryder
5. Taylor
6. Oram
7. McCullum

Flynn's only played half a Test though so whilst I definitely don't think he should have been picked ITFP, I'd be very against dropping him now (or in fact any time before the end of the series, and even then only if he's looking extremely poor).

It has virtually no chance of happening though, because McCullum's vastly over-rated batting will see him slot in at 5 for quite a while to come I'd say.

howardj

International Coach
I mean the guy's had one good series and I've heard from some quarters that he's supposedly NZ's best batsman ahead of Oram and Vettori. :blink:

Plus his god awful technique that will be exposed by every left armer in test cricket, I was basically cringing when Sidebottom was bowling to him but he somehow survived with his wicket in tact.

Can someone become a "great" test match batsman with having such a technical weakness?
He's better than those two beach-bums - the Marshall boys.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taylor seems a hell of a lot more likeable than McMillan, who came across as an arrogant, lazy slob for a while.
Agreed, Taylor seems to be a hard worker. Hope that pays off for him.

Top_Cat

I don't think I've encountered any player that provokes such wild swings in opinion as Ross Taylor.
Shane Watson perhaps? There's some Watto love around the place because he's having a good IPL but watch it turn when he plays against for Australia and fails with the bat.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ross Taylor... the England basher?

v England M 5 I 9 NO 1 runs 503 HS 154* av. 62.87 SR 63.51

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Thought this thread might get a dig.

How many tests now? six? Once he gets to ten I'll make a judgement. Signs are though that he has genuine world class potential.

Hope he gets a hundred next game (if we want to win the current game there probably won't be enough time for him to score one as we'll need to go for a mow in the second dig, depending on how well the English bat).

sanga1337

U19 Captain
a bit although I do think he is a good find for New Zealand. Last time I saw him play he seemed very leg side orientated.

_Ed_

That has been a big problem for him in the past, but one of the best things for me about his 154* was his off-side play.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I won't put that past him. He does sound like a ****** when he has his own opinion on something.

Edit: Then again, so does Pieterson from the soundbytes on radio.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Possibly unwise to make this comment in mid-match, but I can see Taylor's innings at Old Trafford being rather akin to Kevin Pietersen's at Edgbaston against Sri Lanka in 2006, in making what is actually a pretty difficult pitch seem the easiest thing in The World and providing all the difference between victory and defeat.