• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Ross Taylor being overhyped as a Test player?

Is Ross Taylor being overhyped at test level?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sigh..one poor innings and people are saying he's overrated. TBH the same thing happened after the CB series. And the WC. And the SA tour. Each time Taylor came through and followed up with some strong performances. I predict the same will happen here.

Flem274*

123/5
You know if Flynn gets dropped for Fulton and he slots into number four and Taylor goes to six I think he might be suited to that position atm. He prefers spinners and he'll be protected from the new ball so I'd be interested to see if that was an idea that occured to the team.

Though I suspect he'd probably bat at five with McCullum at six.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Y'know, if Fulton were to manage to come in at four and do well (that'd take something, given he hasn't batted once this tour) NZ would have a damn good four-eight, with Fulton, McCullum, Taylor, Oram, Vettori. Just a shame about the top-three (How, don't rate; Redmond, unknown quantity; Marshall, don't rate and probably never will).

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Kinda off-topic but Fulton should be seen as a 3 and NOTHING else. He's been saying he wants to be 3 for a long long time (even during his awesome form two seasons ago).

Give the guy a break, I don't know why he's always seen as the automatic candidate for batting in every single position in the top 7.

Find someone else for 4, and Taylor at 5, McCullum at 6.

I do agree Fulton should be ahead of Flynn. In fact, why not shift McCullum to 4, he's our best batsman atm. Plus with his stance, it's suited to take the seamers on before the medium pacers and spinners come on. (wicket keeper to stumps)

How
opener revolving door policy
Fulton
McCullum
Taylor
Flynn/Ryder

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fulton's worst Test performances have come at the opening slot which is clearly one he does not favour. Personally, I want to see him given a chance a notable way apart from that slot. Three is not far enough for my money. In any case, NZ being NZ, #3 often essentially is an opener anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
Y'know, if Fulton were to manage to come in at four and do well (that'd take something, given he hasn't batted once this tour) NZ would have a damn good four-eight, with Fulton, McCullum, Taylor, Oram, Vettori. Just a shame about the top-three (How, don't rate; Redmond, unknown quantity; Marshall, don't rate and probably never will).
Stop being a bully to How. His FC average isn't too hot (33 iirc) but how much must he do to gain your love?:p

Kinda off-topic but Fulton should be seen as a 3 and NOTHING else. He's been saying he wants to be 3 for a long long time (even during his awesome form two seasons ago).

Give the guy a break, I don't know why he's always seen as the automatic candidate for batting in every single position in the top 7.

Find someone else for 4, and Taylor at 5, McCullum at 6.

I do agree Fulton should be ahead of Flynn. In fact, why not shift McCullum to 4, he's our best batsman atm. Plus with his stance, it's suited to take the seamers on before the medium pacers and spinners come on. (wicket keeper to stumps)

How
opener revolving door policy
Fulton
McCullum
Taylor
Flynn/Ryder
Fulton will bat where he's told. I agree he should always bat in positions 3-5 however I don't rate him as a number three as yet. McCullum at four=uh oh. Would prefer something like Ryder/Hay, Fulton/Hay/Ryder, Taylor, McCullum, Oram, Vettori.

Natman20

International Debutant
Taylor has been well over-hyped. He hasn't done much good for our batting line-up at all. When he comes out its like oh dear hes going to be gone again soon. Hes a one shot hitter and he hasn't really produced anything that makes him that stand outish from the rest. Hes another inconsistent one and if there was any depth he should have been dropped already for a period of time. But as there is there is not and he needs to step up to the plate. Fulton is probably eyeing up one of the batting spots soon.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a bit harsh. He performed better than practically every other middle order player against England in New Zealand. Surely that's adding something to the lineup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stop being a bully to How. His FC average isn't too hot (33 iirc) but how much must he do to gain your love?:p
A damn sight more than he's done so far, TBH. Think far more than Taylor, actually, How's gains of the last 3 months have been overstated.

He's done OK, just about enough to hold a place, and no more than that. He's not the second coming of Glenn Turner yet, or even Graham Dowling or John Wright (and yes I realise no-one's actually said that, but I'm exaggerating a bit).

Flem274*

123/5
A damn sight more than he's done so far, TBH. Think far more than Taylor, actually, How's gains of the last 3 months have been overstated.

He's done OK, just about enough to hold a place, and no more than that. He's not the second coming of Glenn Turner yet, or even Graham Dowling or John Wright (and yes I realise no-one's actually said that, but I'm exaggerating a bit).
I'm definitely not saying he's Turner. All I'm saying is that since his recall in SA (yes I'm counting ODIs and before you complain, its still ball vs bat) he's shown that he can play top level cricket. His test record since recall has been OK. a 90 and a few 40s is an OK return provided he keeps up the progress and doesn't do a Hamish Marshall.

In a nutshell he's definitely proven he can play ODIs. Only tidy up needed is the SR but I wouldn't want him to try and be an Astle or McCullum. In tests the new How is far superior to the old How and since his recall he's shown the coaches he can become a potentially reliable batting resource provided they give him a decent run in the side.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To cut a long story short - yes and no.

TBF I didn't think he'd be able to bat like he did in the home Tests against England, I was very pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: I can see him being one of those frustrating batsmen who runs very hot and cold.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Craig McMillan anyone? I think he is another McMillan when he gets older. In fact his career so far I'm guessing mirrors his.

Lots of talent, will stay in the side, but polarizes the public with his inconsistent 'attitude' towards batting out there in the middle.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taylor seems a hell of a lot more likeable than McMillan, who came across as an arrogant, lazy slob for a while.

tilch818

Cricket Spectator
come on team.
Standard NZ supporters.
Taylor was the best batsmen, from either side in the NZ home series, with a great average over 50 i think (?).
Then he goes over to India for IPL and is easily his franchises best batter (better than far bigger names than himslef).
And then he has one bad innings in really tough conditions, in his first test at lords and he has to put up with crap like this, (not that i actually think he would read this or care either way).
I think the problem that the public has with Taylor is that he is unconventional, so he gets out in different/ugly ways, rather than fishing out side off, that other more proper players may do when they are battling.
leave him to it and with more time will be a highly productive (and sometimes quite streaky) entertaining player, and a great fielder.

Flem274*

123/5
come on team.
Standard NZ supporters.
Taylor was the best batsmen, from either side in the NZ home series, with a great average over 50 i think (?).
Then he goes over to India for IPL and is easily his franchises best batter (better than far bigger names than himslef).
And then he has one bad innings in really tough conditions, in his first test at lords and he has to put up with crap like this, (not that i actually think he would read this or care either way).
I think the problem that the public has with Taylor is that he is unconventional, so he gets out in different/ugly ways, rather than fishing out side off, that other more proper players may do when they are battling.
leave him to it and with more time will be a highly productive (and sometimes quite streaky) entertaining player, and a great fielder.
A kiwi didn't start the thread. Most kiwis are either sticking up for him or reserving judgement until he's played a bit more.:p

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Threads like this really underline the adage that you're only as good as your last innings.

I don't think I've encountered any player that provokes such wild swings in opinion as Ross Taylor.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I think it's because of how well he performed last series, slowly establishing himself as a bona fide top order batsman since Fleming, that to come out like that, playing 20 20 in the first innings of his first test match since that series... gets fan's blood boiling. :@