• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New SCG Hill Grandstand - who's name should it carry?

Who should the new SCG grandstand be named after?

• Alan Davidson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charlie Macartney

• Arthur Morris

• Billy Murdoch

• Charles Turner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I understand there is the possibility of naming it after both Waughs - would be a good idea.

Poor old Dean gets ****ed over again, though. :(
Actually, just heard this morning one of the crieria is you have to have been retired for 10 years, so that rules the Waughs out.

Burgey

How many Aussie greats have stands named after them?
Sydney - Bradman, Noble, O'Reilly
Melbourne - not sure now - there used to be a Ponsford Stand but I think they knocked it down.
Brisbane - don't think there's any, in keeping with th eGabba having been turned intoa soulless fish bowl instead of a cricket ground.
Adelaide - Chappells, Bradman, Vic Richardson Gates, George Giffen
Perth - Lillee/ Marsh Stand

That's all the ones I could think of\ atm.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In a poll like this it would be great if the reason for inclusion in the short list were given, For example Murdoch scored the first triple century at the SCG in the 1880's- the next wasnt scored till Kippax half a century later.

BTW, I am surprised Kippax doesn't make the short list. He scored five double centuries here. Only Bradman has scored more. He also scored 22 centuries at SCG (over 5000 runs at 65.5). Again, only Bevan has more at 25. Bradman too had 22 centuries.

I think a Trumper/Turner stand would be nice.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
All I could locate from the SCG site was the presence of a Kippax/Carrol room.

archie mac

International Coach
Sydney - Bradman, Noble, O'Reilly
Melbourne - not sure now - there used to be a Ponsford Stand but I think they knocked it down.
Brisbane - don't think there's any, in keeping with th eGabba having been turned intoa soulless fish bowl instead of a cricket ground.
Adelaide - Chappells, Bradman, Vic Richardson Gates, George Giffen
Perth - Lillee/ Marsh Stand

That's all the ones I could think of\ atm.
They also have the Clem Hill stand at the Adelaide Oval:)

We should also mention that Rugby League has had many great players at the ground as have the Sydney Swans in more recent times:)

howardj

International Coach
I hate Benaud, he tries to deliberately act quirky these days.

Therefore, it should be named after Steve Waugh.

The Tugga Stand.

Burgey

They also have the Clem Hill stand at the Adelaide Oval:)

We should also mention that Rugby League has had many great players at the ground as have the Sydney Swans in more recent times:)
Yeah, but they've stipulated it will be a crivketer from NSW's team of the century, and one who has been retired for 10 years, which pretty much rules out the Waughs.