• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Fast Bowler's fast Bowlers

jeevan

International 12th Man
Just to tickle the palate and to start a small debate, I am going to list the ten bowlers Lillee covers but in the alphabetical order so as not to give away the ranking.

Its interesting to note some of Lillee's comments. He does not want to comment on people he hasn't seen or "not seen enough of" or did not "play with or against". Clearly he listens to "from what people tell me" or from what "I'm told". Obviously those who have told him about Proctor (the bowler he was) or Marshall (the bowler he was likely to become) were people who had seen these greats or maybe even played with or against them. He values there comments and therefore mentions that. He still prefers to list those he saw more of, played with or against in order not to be "unfair on the others".

A lesson there for most of us??
That the internet would be a much smaller (and perhaps less interesting) place if only those who knew what they were talking about, actually did?

This forum would have , what, four posters :ph34r:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We know Hadlee was better at the basic job of bowling. That really is pretty irrefutable. But Lillee's list may not purely have been based on who he thought absolutely basically best.

This list of Lillee's was done in about 1983. At that time Hadlee had probably played no more 40-45 Tests and taken fewer than 200 wickets so he might rank him lower then than he would now.

If anyone wants to see a really funny list of Top 10 Bowlers try this one:laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
Holding was a fine fast bowler, the best in the world for a period, I have no problem with people rating him higher then Hadlee:)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon it'll be either Snow or Roberts at 1 (baring in mind the list was compiled in 1983).

bagapath

International Captain
dennis lillee in his latest book had ranked marshall and ambrose on top. dont know what his thoughts were in 83. good thread SJS

i've seen dennis frequent a pub in our city where he has been coaching youngsters for close to two decades. once i was having a lively discussion on fast bowlers with a few friends of mine when we found a bald gentleman and his friend looking at us with curiosity. it turned out to be lillee himself standing hardly 10 feet away from us. we just ran towards him, like band-aids run after rock stars, and cornered him for a few minutes. when i told him we were choosing great pacers for our dream teams he said "obviously my name wouldnt have figured". we had to laugh politely for this lame joke. come on, it was dennis lillee! what would you have done? anyways, i offered to buy him a drink which he agreed after some serious persuading. but it was not billed to me at all. i believe he is in town again. if i catch him again i'll buy him a drink and make sure he settles the imran vs mcgrath argument for us.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
dennis lillee in his latest book had ranked marshall and ambrose on top. dont know what his thoughts were in 83. good thread SJS

i've seen dennis frequent a pub in our city where he has been coaching youngsters for close to two decades. once i was having a lively discussion on fast bowlers with a few friends of mine when we found a bald gentleman and his friend looking at us with curiosity. it turned out to be lillee himself standing hardly 10 feet away from us. we just ran towards him, like band-aids run after rock stars, and cornered him for a few minutes. when i told him we were choosing great pacers for our dream teams he said "obviously my name wouldnt have figured". we had to laugh politely for this lame joke. come on, it was dennis lillee! what would you have done? anyways, i offered to buy him a drink which he agreed after some serious persuading. but it was not billed to me at all. i believe he is in town again. if i catch him again i'll buy him a drink and make sure he settles the imran vs mcgrath argument for us.
You are some lucky so-and-so. :@

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Oh man, as SJS said, you are one lucky bastard! I'd kill to be able to spend ten minutes talking to someone like Lillee about fast bowling. Or rather just listening.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
6. RICHARD HADLEE

While Richard Hadlee and I have rarely seen eye to eye, we have seen eyeball to eyeball often enough. I don't think I would be overstating it if I said Hadlee and I weren't the greatest of mates, but I appreciate the man's bowling ability. I also admire his guts.

In 1977, when World Series cricket staged the fastest bowler competition, all the best quicks were within the WSC ranks, but to make it an open competition, invitations were sent to India and New Zealand seeing that there were no players from these countries involved in the Kerry Packer outfit. We had only one reply - from richard Hadlee. He wanted to be in it. He must have felt really the one out that day., but he came to do his thing and while he didn't finish near the top, I have always respected him for having the courage to front up, considering the mood of cricket's governing bodies at the time.

At times, Hadlee hits the bat as fast as any bowler, but I have always classed him as medium fast rather than express. On certain wickets he can be damn quick. He has a habit of sliding in to the bat at a deceptive pace.

In the early years, he was not in the mould of the great fast bowlers, I always had the feeling that he just ran in, bowled and hoped for the best. In the past four or five seasons, however, he has undergone a remarkable transformation. He has become the complete bowler. He can bowl in-swing, leg-cutters, a bloody good yorker and a very mean bouncer.

He really rates in my book as one of the finest all rounders in the world, but he can stand extremely high as a bowler alone. I won't be crossing swords with him any more and, in a way, I'll miss that. But I'm sure the New Zealand cricket authorities will want him to continue for as long as he can. For quite a few years now, he has been the one to put some steel in his team's performance. Indeed, it is difficult to envisage a New zealand team without him.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wow Hadlee a lot lower than you'd have expected. Interesting to hear about their rivalry too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, here it is again. Number Eight.

8. GRAHAM McKENZIE

Graham McKenzie was nick named "Garth" for a very obvious reason - his magnificent physique. His body was virually tight balloons of bristling muscle.

When the young fellow had his appendix removed, the surgeon marvelled at the total lack of body fat. "He is in great shape" said the doc. Well everybody knew that Garth was in great shape. He was a great bowler as well.

I am alive to the many claims of greatness that have been made on behalf of McKenzie. I have heard them from the most competent judges and I must confess to a real reluctance to place him at number 8 in my list, especially when I hear the genuine praises of those who played with or against him for many years.

Garth is eight years older than I and in the context of fast bowlers careers that is a long time. I did not, much to my regret, see enough of him in action to leave his skills implanted indelibly in my mind. Perth's debut test of 1970, was McKenzie's only appearance for Australia on his home ground. Unfortunately I did not play in that game as Dennid Lillee had not yet caught the eyes of Australia's selectors. But in the company of thousands of proud West Australians, I watched that momentous occasion with all the keenness of a schoolboy at his first big game.

Graham – who was, of course, at one time Australia’s record wicket taker among fast bowlers – was a man of extremely modest temperament. This is not typical of the fast bowling fraternity and it has resulted in something less than justice being done to him. He certainly possessed all the necessary attributes of the great fast bowler – genuine speed, accuracy, stamina and unstinted devotion to his side. All this, and civility too !

What would he have achieved had he possessed, say, a Trueman-like (or Lillee-like) temperament? We will never know and perhaps it is unfair of us to ponder that question. The fact remains that McKenzie was an adornment to Australian cricket.

He played in his youthful prime bearing Australia’s opening attack primarily alone. He had no great partner to support him. For all that, he claimed 246 test victims, and did much towards maintaining Australia’s rating as a great Test nation.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
So we have the bottom five on the list of ten.

6. Hadlee Richard

7. Garner Joel

8. McKenzie Graham

9. Willis Bob

10. Dev Kapil​

The top five left, in alphabetical order are :-

• Holding Mike
  • Khan Imran
  • Roberts Andy
  • Snow John
  • Thomson Jeff

Any guesses ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

You lucky bast... :laugh: :dry:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
5. IMRAN KHAN

Despite the personal agony Imran put himself through during the 1983-84 tour of Australia, he never lost his sense of humour. Imran led his Pakistan side that summer, unable to do the thing he does and loves best in life... bowl. The stress fracture in his leg just refused to mend and Imran spent the tour wistfully watching his team swept away in the test series and rolled again in the Benson and Hedges World Series Cup. In fact, as I write this six months later, his leg is encased in plaster.

It is a very sad episode for him and one could only imagine what the reception was going to be like when he got home to Lahore. It was on this very point that Imran, answering a question in Perth at oe of Rod Marsh's testimonial functions, revealed speed of a different kind, dry wit. The question was, "How are you going to be treated wgen you get home?" Imran. quick as a flash, replied, " Well, I have decided as I will be missing the series against England because of my injury, I will be going straight to England."

Imran's bowling has been every bit as sharp as his wit. Certainly he is the only Pakistani bowler I can recal who has had genuine pace. In Perth during the World series Cricket, we had a competition called "The Fastest Bowler in the World". Imran finished third after Jeff Thomson and Michael Holding - and I think he got much quicker after that.

Asa fast bowler, Imran has really had two careers. One was with that wind-mill type action, bowling wide of the crease with big in-swingers. In those days he also had the ability to bowl the ball that would straighten or just leave you outside the off stump. At his pace it was lethal. In the past few seasons, Imran has got much closer to the stumps and he has developed the outswinger. At the same time , he has not lost the ability to bowl the in-swinger. At his extreme pace, it is a deadly combination.

Imran also has a very good yorker, a very, very good bouncer. He has a most aggressive atttitude towards batsmen. In fact, he has it all.

A lot of prople talk about Ian Botham, Kapil dev and Richard Hadlee as being the best all-rounders in the world. But for my money - and as you know I bet wisely - in the last couple of seasons that distinction belongs to Imran. I sincerely hope that troublesome leg of his mends thoroughly and that he returns to the bowling crease as fast and fearsome as ever. Cricketdeserves Imran Khan.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Managed to corner Warney for a while... But never asked him the big question... Sachin V Lara... Pretty sure he rates Lara higher now than he used to when I did corner him. Guess he puts Sachin higher for what he perceives to be "more mental toughness" although to be completely honest, I think his friendship with him might play a part as well. ;) Having said that, he has been pretty friendly with Lara too over the last 3 or 4 years, esp. :)

ret

International Debutant
So we have the bottom five on the list of ten.

6. Hadlee Richard

7. Garner Joel

8. McKenzie Graham

9. Willis Bob

10. Dev Kapil​

The top five left, in alphabetical order are :-

• Holding Mike
  • Khan Imran
  • Roberts Andy
  • Snow John
  • Thomson Jeff

Any guesses ?
4. Thompson
3. Snow
2. Roberts
1. Holding

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
4. MICHAEL HOLDING

For a fast bowler Michel Holding is so gentle and unwarlike. You start to get all fired up and Michael just stands there and smiles. Many have probably looked for a way to dislike him, but it's impossible.

I remember the day short-pitched deliveries twice struck gutsy little West Australian and Test opener Bruce Laird in the groin. After the second shattering blow to Laird's testicles, Holding came down the pitch to make sure the batsman was okay. When he saw that Bruce was more determined than ever, Holding drawled, "Sorry Bruce but have you had any children?" "Yes two" said Bruce, grim faced. "That's good"said Michael as he walked away smiling.

But while Holding brings sportsmanship and integrity to the art of fast bowling, he is one of the most feared pace bowlers of my time. Batsmen all over the world have for many years been ducking his bouncers like baddies dodging bullets in a Wayne western movie.

Holding is not a physically imposing specimen. In fact, he is quite thin. He does stand 6-ft 4-in and I will never forget his long and rhythmical run up to the wicket. He glided to the wicket and then got it all together in this lovely, unhurried action which propelled the ball at a most frightening pace. He was as smooth as glass.

His two main weapons (pace apart) when he was only bowling express, were his yorker and bouncer. He delivered these two balls as well as anyone I have seen.

Time has certainly taken the edge off his pace. In fact, in the 1983-84 summer, he bowled off the short run - and he wasn't any less lethal. He was still quick enough to make most batsmen hurry their shots, but he was also beginning to develop some subtlety to his bowling. Holding has now learnt to move the ball around. Hell, what next?