Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome.....

Welcome.....

Welcome, all you Tri-City faithfull.... at least those who may find it interesting to have a "chat" forum to discuss the comings and goings of the Tri-City Cricket Club in Schenectady, NY.

This is just an initial post to get things started. Hope we can generate a little interest, but if not, at least we're here!!!

Sincerely,

Steve Weisse
    President - Tri-City Cricket Club
    http://tricitycricket.com

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    G'day from Sydney Steve and welcome...

Wishing you all the best and I will visit often...

Megan (AKA: Eyes_Only)
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

thanks...

Megan,
    Glad to see at least ONE post out here.... We just got set up, and I have yet to pass the news along to the gang. Hopefully, we'll have a few posts out here soon.
    Just in case you were curious, Tri-City CC is a club that is trying to foster the game of cricket here in the U.S. We've already introduced the game to several local elementary schools, and are hoping to expand it even further next year. This is part of a grand plan to have ALL the schools in Schenectady (that's pronounced "skah-NECK-tah-dee"), NY, playing the game.
    We're located about 2.5/3 hours north of New York City, in what is known locally as upstate New York, but we travel down to the city regularly to take on the many clubs there. We also play matches against teams from Toronto and Montreal CA, other teams from around New York state, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania. Basically, anywhere in the northeastern United States.
    We are not currently in any league, but our "friendly" matches are usually played to a very high standard, and we've surprised more than one league team with our depth in batting and bowling. The core of our club are former West Indian immigrants, primarily from Guyana, but we also have Indian, Pakistani, Kenyan, English, Australian (well, not right now, anyway, but last year we did!) and four or five native born Americans, believe it or not (I'm one of 'em!).
    We're truly international, and we are all rabid fans of the game. I must admit, however, that NO ONE can surpass an Aussie for cricket rabidity (if that's even a word....!). Someday, I would love to travel with our club down under and see the best in world class cricket, but it's quite expensive just to get there.
    Well, I'd better run. Thanks for chiming in here, and I look forward to chatting in the future!

Steve

Sounds pretty interesting..

Seems there is a lot more cricket activity than I expected in the US, a good sign.

And in terms of "cricket rabidity" I think the indians may pip us at the post there from what I've seen.. I could be wrong..
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets

PY
    Are there many leagues in the US or is the game played more under friendly circumstances? Must admit I don't know a great deal about US cricket. Spose it must be quite difficult to compete against basketball and baseball.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Steve...

Just further to my post...

I am the youngest female umpire in the state of New South Wales. If you ever have any umpiring questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

If I can't give you an answer, I know plenty of people who may be able to including my two mentors who are International Umpires!

I am also involved in the mighty Randwick/Petersham Cricket Club down here. I'm sure the boys would love to host a trip for you all if you ever decide to visit Sydney...

Take care...

Megan
    Last edited by Eyes_Only; 10-05-2003 at 01:51 AM.

Leagues in the U.S.

Actually, there ARE a lot of leagues here in the U.S. They are centered around some of the larger population centers, like New York City, or out on the west coast in California. There are also active leagues in Texas, Florida, the mid-western U.S.... Check out www.uscricket.com for more detailed info.

Unfortunately for us, we are not close enough to New York City to participate in their leagues down there, but we're hoping to get a league of our own going around here in the next couple of years.

And of course, we're in the beginnin stages of trying to grow the sport at the elementary school level, where we currently have three schools in the city of Schenectady that are playing the game of Kanga cricket. Our goal is to get the other 9 schools on board by next year. It's a real challenge, but one that's worth it.

Steve

sounds gr8 m8. best of luck and who knows, someday maybe the US will be playing in tests and ODI's
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Steve...

Just a quick question for you...

Who is the head adminsitraive body for cricket in the US?

Here in Australia, we have the ACB (Australian Cricket Board) who oversee all aspects of the game in this country, from Juniors to Umpiring and all points in between!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    A couple of questions:-

1/ What kind of organization is there in the semi-professional (?) cricket in America?
    2/ What's is the level of awareness of the sport? What sort of interest is there?

Alot of people I know from the States have never heard of cricket or seemingly stereotypically consider it boring (even when they've never seen or played it).
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

First off, let me reply to Eyes Only's question. Technically, I guess, the "adminstrative body" in U.S. cricket is the United States of America Cricket Association or USACA.
    Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, this august body is made up of a bunch of do-nothing bureaucrats who are more interested in turf wars and bickering than in truly promoting the game of cricket here in the U.S.
    Of course, this is simply the opinion of a native born American who dearly loves the game, mind you, but there you have it. There's been a LOT of infighting with the USACA (there used to be two different organizations that merged..), and the ICC appointed "development director", Mr. Richard Weekes, I believe was his name, finally decided enough was enough and abruptly quit last year in apparent frustration with the USACA's lack of cohesiveness.
    Some of my more veteran teammates on Tri-City CC are of the additional opinion that the USACA is populated with a large number of former West Indian cricketers/cricket fans who continue to focus on a player's pedigree as opposed to his talent when selecting team members. Why else would the US National team have as one of its members 43 year old Faoud Bacchus, a former Guyanese batsman who was decent in his day, but is well past his prime? Well, he had a reputation, you see, and that seem to go a long way with the USACA selectors.
    Another debacle that has me feeling skeptical of the USACA's ability to seriously administer cricket in this country is the way they botched the creation of a US Junior Cricket program. Because the USACA board didn't like the guy who tried to get something good going with a tournament for junior cricketing talent, they refused to back it, and decided to try and stage something themselves.... which never happened, but effectively killed the competing tournament....
    Now, by this point, if anyone has even read this far, you're probably about as fed up with hearing about the sorry state of cricket in America with regard to the upper levels of adminstration.

The GOOD thing is, at the grass roots level, cricket is going strong. We have leagues, we have talent, we have excitement and we have potential. What we DON'T have is an organization peopled with unselfish, benevolent and wise leaders who know how to grow cricket into a sport that will be accepted by the mainstream US sports fan. It's still too much a sport of immigrants.

Which leads me to the NEXT question asked out here, by Mr. Mxylpks... Yes there IS organization at the semi-pro level, but it's all completely decentralized and grass roots. As for awareness, well, that too is growing through grass roots efforts like our club's and others. We've introduced the game into the school system here in upstate New York, and have been in newspaper articles, radio shows and television news shows promoting the game. We've even appeared at local Schenectady city council meetings and neighborhood association meetings, spreading the word about the game, and with the large number of immigrants from cricket playing countries living here in the U.S., the game already has a potential fan base. We just have to find a way to tap it....

As for native born American awareness and interest, well, that's always going to be an obstacle to overcome. Yes, cricket has a reputation in this country (and deservedly so, you have to admit) of being a LONG game, which is hard for us impatient Americans to deal with. We complain when a baseball game goes more than a couple of hours, so you can imagine even a one day cricket match is considered over the limit!

Still, I think with the right promotion, cricket will get there. I've already seen it, and am a prime, living example of how it can hook the American psyche.... Time will tell, but until then, I'm going to keep tirelessly promoting the game in any way I can!!

Steve

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    GOod luck man,

its great to see that cricket is being taken up in U.S , and i really hope later on it develops a lot and theres competitions and leagues and all!

This sounds really awesome how you are totally committed to spreading the word of cricket and getting everyone to try it , i wish they voted someone like u a president of the USCricket association !!

Just keep it going and know that you have my support and support from everyone else here
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Originally posted by lord_of_darkness
    GOod luck man,

its great to see that cricket is being taken up in U.S , and i really hope later on it develops a lot and theres competitions and leagues and all!

This sounds really awesome how you are totally committed to spreading the word of cricket and getting everyone to try it , i wish they voted someone like u a president of the USCricket association !!

Just keep it going and know that you have my support and support from everyone else here
    Well said Lord...

Steve, I hope you know this goes double for me mate!!

PY
    Originally posted by TriCitySteve
    United States of America Cricket Association or USACA.
    Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, this august body is made up of a bunch of do-nothing bureaucrats who are more interested in turf wars and bickering than in truly promoting the game of cricket here in the U.S.
    Sounds like many a cricketing organisation and especially the English Cricket Board after the World Cup 2003 debacle. :!(

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by TriCitySteve
    Like in England...
    Some of my more veteran teammates on Tri-City CC are of the additional opinion that the USACA is populated with a large number of former West Indian cricketers/cricket fans who continue to focus on a player's pedigree as opposed to his talent when selecting team members. Why else would the US National team have as one of its members 43 year old Faoud Bacchus, a former Guyanese batsman who was decent in his day, but is well past his prime? Well, he had a reputation, you see, and that seem to go a long way with the USACA selectors.
    Like in England...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information